Shasta

Leather Supplier In The Dalles, Or

Does anyone remember a leather supply ( or tanning) place in The Dalles, Or. I used to buy tooling leather from them in the 70's. I think they may not be around anymore. The leather was awsome and was oak tanned, with a reddish tinge. I got some leather the other day from Springfield and although it was Herman Oak, it was not great. Maybe I'm ordering the wrong thing (for belts, etc.) I'm just starting to do leather work again after a long break. I love the red tone and not the orange/yellow look. Any feedback?

Thanks,

JB

Muir & McDonald Tannery; RIP.

They used Douglas Fir bark for tanning. In the US we have Wickett and Craig and Hermann Oak. I don't think either uses Oak.

J & FJ Baker in England uses Oak and a "long tanning" process. This leather is pricey but superb.

J R Leather in Germany also makes good product thay is more available in the U.S.

I use Baker and JR for some things, but for most things veg, I use Wickett & Craig.

Art

Does anyone remember a leather supply ( or tanning) place in The Dalles, Or. I used to buy tooling leather from them in the 70's. I think they may not be around anymore. The leather was awsome and was oak tanned, with a reddish tinge. I got some leather the other day from Springfield and although it was Herman Oak, it was not great. Maybe I'm ordering the wrong thing (for belts, etc.) I'm just starting to do leather work again after a long break. I love the red tone and not the orange/yellow look. Any feedback?

Thanks,

JB

Art, Thanks for the reply and info. You seem to be pretty experienced with types of leather. What would you recommend for general carving such as spur straps, belts, and med. size projects? Isn't the veg tanned very light in color? By the way, I'm a "boater" too. Houseboat and pontoon boat.

Thanks

Edited by Shasta

If you want to drive there, you have Oregon Leather and Tandy in Portland. I think there is a place in Pendleton, not real sure though.

Oregon Leather has Herman Oak.

Aaron

You have to call Wickett & Craig and talk to them. Tell them exactly what you are looking for. When I first started (long ago) I used the old Tandy, but quickly switched to Hermann Oak even at ten side minimum. Took me a while to find Wickett & Craig within driving distance. Except for Baker and Rendenbach, W&C have served me well. When it comes to chrome tan, I buy from dozens. Wickett & Craig 1-800-Tannery, talk to Glenn, or Linda.

Art

Art, Thanks for the reply and info. You seem to be pretty experienced with types of leather. What would you recommend for general carving such as spur straps, belts, and med. size projects? Isn't the veg tanned very light in color? By the way, I'm a "boater" too. Houseboat and pontoon boat.

Thanks

Thanks,

JB

Hey JB.

The place was called "The Dalles Tanners" I'm not sure it's still in business, though I found a few "yellow" page entries online.

Another place called Muir - MacDonald, inc... was located in Dallas, Oregon, but I understand they shut down in 2005. Then again their information is still showing up online.

http://www.powerprofiles.com/profile/00005140925137/MUIR-+MC+DONALD+CO+INC-DALLAS-OR

I know there is a leather shop in Portland and Eugene. Here is their website. http://www.oregonleatherco.com/

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks everyone. The company I was trying to remember was Muir & McDonald. At one time they had great leather. They went out of business