Chief31794

Where Do You Buy Leather?

I use Hermann Oak and buy a side every month or so, I've been getting it from Springfield Leather Company but I'm looking for another supplier. My last two orders with SLC haven't gone very well so I was wondering where everyone else gets their leather.

Chief

I get everything from SLC Chief. Did you talk to them? They've always made everything right for me even when it was my mistake, like when I order Fiebings oil dye and meant to get their institutional water based. They shipped me what I MEANT to get free. I don't even look other places now because they have been so good to me. Cheryl

My last two orders of sides have come from the Hide House in Napa. I only go to them b/c it's driving distance from where I live so I can pick out the sides myself. Thus far i've only purchased latigo from them, which i wasn't that impressed with (in comparison to weaver's latigo) but I'm going to try their bridle and harness sides next time.

I purchase leather from Matt at Maverick Leather in Pengrove ca. It's about 4-5 hrs drive if I go down south,but brown is 2 days to ship.

I've been to Matt's place of buisness,it's like a warehouse,and all He sells is leather. It works well for me,I'm a hobbiest and will take blems,and use /work around defect and incorporate brands into items.He now carries Herman Oak as well,and if I want to pick out leather,I can go south and back in a day. Hope You find your outlet. I buy most of my other supplies from Springfield Leather,and to give them credit...have no complaints,and I'm treated well by employees on the phone.

RJF Leather - Roger advertises here and has a website. This pit tanned leather from Portugal and is the best leather I've used in years and I've been crafting now for 51 years......plus Roger is great to deal with........

For wholesale leathers two places www.hidehouse.com Napa Calif .Ask for Jen she is a boss there . R.L. Cox hide and fur Albuquerque New Mexico 505-242-4980 Mike or Ellen got twenty years experience with these folks ,first class experience . They are cheaper than all the others by 2.00 a sq ft on most all leathers . Good Luck Bill

I use Hermann Oak and buy a side every month or so, I've been getting it from Springfield Leather Company but I'm looking for another supplier. My last two orders with SLC haven't gone very well so I was wondering where everyone else gets their leather.

Chief

Edited by bluesman1951

Hidehouse is the way to go, they are a wholesaler and have really good prices. ive never had an issue finding something with them. Their people are always willing to help. Their latigo has a really nice color and good temper. Breuttens leather village has some great deals if you catch them on the right days. They have a lot of odd lots, but their prices are cheap. I go to tandy when I need something like right now. Usually if I have a project Im working on I tend to buy it after Ive planned out what Im making. Tandy sometimes has really good sales, but thats few and far between. But when you need the leather or other item then and there you go where you can.

I haven't the need for brand name leathers. I don't make $5,000 saddles, so I can work around a scar or two. That being said, I've never been unhappy with Tim and the crowd at Zack White Leather. His Domestic sides are beautiful. The imported is less expensive, but entirely good to work with.

I buy Herman Oak leather from these people

http://www.goligerle....com/index.html

Same here, Cheryl and her son are great to work with an consistently pick the hides I am looking for. I have a standing order for "extra clean A grade HO" and tell ya what, what they send is great to work with. On the off chance they are sold out my second choice is Sheridan Leather Outfitters. SLO also delivers great quality, clean hides consistently. Why Goliger over SLO? Simply because they are closer and therefore shipping is faster & cheaper, aside from that, both have excellent service and hides.

Hello Every body,

I am new Member of this site,I am FRom ISONZ Leather Zone,a tannery and fActory based in Asia,We produce heavy substance leathers vegetable Leather chrome Leathers in Different Finishes,Colors,Tempers,for Knife,sword covers,Saddlery products,Belts,Bags,Leather Goods 2.0mm up to 3.5mm in buffalo and cow.

Also we produce some other kind of napa,soft and less thickness leathers for arious puyrposes,we supply in usa my holsters company.interestd freinds can contact at isonzleatherzone@gmail.com

looking forwad.

Sajjad ahmed

post-31191-0-24620000-1349506534_thumb.j

I buy from my local tandy leather factory store. it saves me money to keep from paying shipping charges and since i am on a tight budget i use economy tooling half shoulders and I can pick through what I want and not have to settle for what an online vendor sends me.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

so no one buys direct from Weaver? I just set up account and made my first order and its way cheaper than Springfield, who i ordered from before. I still get most of my conchos and stuff from them due to Weaver not having EVERYTHING.

I've bought leather from weaver

so no one buys direct from Weaver? I just set up account and made my first order and its way cheaper than Springfield, who i ordered from before. I still get most of my conchos and stuff from them due to Weaver not having EVERYTHING.

I've bought from them directly and I was happy with the bridle and latigo they sent me. After my initial order they told me the minimum on my future orders is $500, which is more leather than I have room for. I'd order from them again if I could meet their minimum...

Mijo you might want to check with them again bc they told me just Thursday my initial order is 250 and there is no minimum on orders after that. Hmm...interesting. When did they tell you this?

Everybody has different needs and preferences for leather. Some need price first, others need smaller pieces, and then there is preference for tannage. As is evident from this and other posts, some tanneries have issues with consistancy. Some sellers seem to get the better leather than others too, or at least sort it and represent it better. If the policies and shipping costs work for you, my thoughts are to stick with who works for you the best. They will know your preferences and that is a big plus. Personally I like Thoroughbred in weights, Horween or TB latigo, and Sadesa for skirting. I am using a lot more leather in weights and latigo now, just the way orders have trended and my business plan has evolved. I can order from Maverick Leather and have it next day. Matt knows what I want in weights, will call if there are any blemishes and make sure they'll work. I need my latigo long and he'll go stick a tape on the choices while I am on the phone or call back. Nothing against other suppliers, Maverick just works right for me. Close for shipping, less inventorying cost for me, and leather I like.

Mijo you might want to check with them again bc they told me just Thursday my initial order is 250 and there is no minimum on orders after that. Hmm...interesting. When did they tell you this?

Thanks for the heads up, my initial order with weaver was close to 2 years ago. I might go with them for bridle as I favor theirs over what I've seen at the Hidehouse. I like Bruce's suggestion on buying different types of leathers from multiple vendors rather than trying to get all your sides from one source.

I buy most of mine from Wickett and Craig. They have beautiful leather. Just for kicks really I ordered a piece if Herman oak from Springfield leather to try it and another time from Weavers BC W&C was out of what I needed and I couldn't wait any more. The W&C was so smooth and perfect, it was also a better grade though so its not a fair comparison. Either way I like being able to buy right from the tannery, they split it for me and I have it holstered. Also the W&C I get always is very light colored, I attribute that to being very fresh because the stuff that sits around, even rolled up is always darker. This really doesn't matter much but I figured I'd note it anyhow. Both were about the same as far as working with it goes.

I buy supplies from Weavers, certain other things from Springfield but leather from Wickett and Craig. I mostly use #2 unless I need a large perfect piece then I get 1 but for holsters the 2 is fine. I was even getting the 3 for a while and it was very nice however I got a few pieces that weren't that great so I quit using it, I honestly think they were just running out at the time and using pieces that would have been picked over and that's why the quality went down.

Another nice thing with them is they will provide American flag tags that say the leather in this item is made in the USA which is a nice little touch to add to the finished product. You have to ask for them though.

I've been dealing with Weaver for well over 10 years now but lately the Hermann Oak sides they sell me are very bad. The last one that came in convenced me to try out another vender for HO because I only was able to get about 30% yield out of it. Weaver makes and sells there own line of leather products and I'm sure the products they make are made from the good stuf. They sell HO as tannery run (A,B,C). Lately all I seem to get are the C's.

Do you know which leather weaver makes themselves? What do they call it because they don't advertise it but when asked the source of certain no name leather they say its a secret. I assume its that.

Do you know who tans their leather? Is it USA?

I may be incorrect here but I think the Chahin leather is what weavers sells as theirs. I think the tannery is in Mexico but they use US hides. I bought some once because I needed a pice quicker than I could get it from WC and it was OK but I much prefer Wickett and Craig over that. They also sell Herman oak but when I looked into getting that from them it seemed like a crap shoot since its TR. if rather order directly from WC and be able to choose what grade I'm getting and their prices are very reasonable even for the best grade and it is not only flawless it is very smooth. They will also provide little American flag tags which is a nice touch for retail items.

Do you know which leather weaver makes themselves? What do they call it because they don't advertise it but when asked the source of certain no name leather they say its a secret. I assume its that.

Do you know who tans their leather? Is it USA?

How do you know they sell chain as theirs? When I ask where certain leather comes from they say they can't say? Any inside info?

With w/c some of their stock doesn't seem reliable if buying 1 or 2, you could wait weeks for them to tan a batch. Not good for business.

It says right in weaver that it's tanned in chanin tannery.... They even indicate the products used in their production. I think leather is six of one, half a dozen of anther. A lot of it has to do with the specific side. I use bridle and harness and have used most of the tanneries. This year I bought half a dozen sides from American leather direct, and half a dozen from thoroughbred leather. they're different leather for sure, in my opinion as good as, if not better than wickett and Craig, or Hermann oak for my application. I think it's important to talk to your leather guy and tell him what you're using it for!

when you say right in weaver, do you mean the catlogue? yes, they distingush some leather from HO and Ch, but their are other hides like shoulders and dbl backs that have no brand. when i called them to ask for the brand they said they can not say. i was wondering if anyone has info on those brands in particular. are they chanin?

I just got in a HO 8/9 side “B grade ” from Springfield and I'm very happy with it. With my tax id on file I got a better price than I normally get from Weaver. I like the fact that I don't have to try and get lucky with Weaver's tannery run.