emmacornes

My Skiving Machine Dilema

Hello there - I'm new to the forum. Nice to meet you all.

I'm based near Chester, England and I make bags. Mostly I work with British heritage cloths like tweed, but I've started working with leather too.

I've been experimenting with putting leather bases on my bags and realise I need to buy a skiver – prototyping with a Dremel is getting tedious! I just couldn't get the consistency I needed with hand tools.

So I've been researching skiving machines. In the UK it seems like there are three main options that I can afford:

Anyone have experience of these machines? I think the top two are Chinese copies of some of the older European machines? Anything to avoid or be careful of?

Many thanks

Emma

Skiving machine is an invaluable unit in your shop. Fairly high learning curve in using them but well worth the time and effort to learn to use them properly.

Buy the best machine you can afford. Just about every clone, made in China, is the same machine with a different name attached.

Some have very poor machining on some very important surfaces. I have a top and bottom feed and wouldn't consider only bottom feed. My top feed mechanism leaves considerable to be desired. I intend to rebuild that myself making it an excellent piece of equipment.

ferg

Thanks Ferg - what a great response. Good reminder about 'buy the best you can afford'. I've had so much trouble with rubbish tools, just don't want this to happen with something as expensive as a skiver.

Another option would be to hire out that service.

If you are not doing a lot of skiving, take a look at http://www.hewitonline.com/Scharf_Fix_2000_Paring_Machine_and_Spare_Blades_p/tl-091.htm and see if it meets your needs. Do a google search for other UK suppliers too to see if their prices may be better.

Another option posters have listed here is to use a carpenter's plane. Takes some practise but should be more consistent. Blade needs to be really sharp.

Tom

Edit: won't work well on thin soft leathers.

Edited by northmount

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Although I could get someone else to do it, I like to be able to try things when I have an idea, rather than having to wait - when I have an idea in my head I just want to try it.

I'm off to see a re-conditioned German machine on Thursday. Fingers crossed it fits the bill.

Emma