Beken

Holster Finish Question- "flesh Out" And "floppy"

I bought this holster(pictures are stock photos) and I was wondering if there is a proper way to finish something like this? It seems that people tend to use one finish on the outside(smooth side) and a different one on the inside(rough side) of a "typical" holster.

This leather is flipped though, and it's not stiff at all. So the rough side will be in direct contact with my body or an undershirt and the smooth side will be in contact with the firearm.

As it stands now it is a single piece of 100% unfinished leather, but I want to properly finish it hoping that it will last longer that way.

If you can't tell I know little to nothing about finishing holsters... any suggestions on finishing this leather that won't negatively impact the firearm or my love handles?

Thanks!

Spartan.jpg

Spartan-Back.jpg

post-13222-127077958055_thumb.jpg

post-13222-127077958721_thumb.jpg

That appears to be a knock off of a Crossbread Holster's "SuperTuck", and as a knock off, I can't tell you what kind of leather is used in it. If it's all totally soft, it's probably chrome tanned and will need no additional finish applied to the leather- it's done. However.....the chrome tanning process can (usually does) make the leather rather unfriendly to the gun's finish. I suppose if it's one of the new 'super' finishes there might be no damage, but for the cost of a gun.....you wanna take the chance?

Another good indicator that it's a knock off is that the back side of the leather has exposed T-nuts. I wouldn't worry about the leather to skin nearly so much as I would worry about those T-nuts rubbing holes through clothing and skin. They will, at the very least, make some awfully sore spots. If you really want that type holster, I suggest getting your money back on the one pictured and ordering a REAL CBH supertuck.....maybe even contact the owner of CBH and let him know about the knock off.

I probably ought to have put it in the original thread but the holster is a CompTac "Spartan." The Spartan is CompTac's base model(exposed t-nuts/natural unfinished leather/etc) and very similar to the CB SuperTuck. CB and CT are the "big dogs", if you will, of the hybrid kydex/leather holster market right now.

As for the leather, I'm pretty sure it's a unfinished piece of veg tanned ~8- 10oz leather that was cut/clicked out and assembled. By "floppy" I meant that it bends and flexes as opposed to a finished full leather holster which seems to be pretty rigid(not sure if the rigidity, or lack of, affects how it needs to be finished)

Any thoughts or ideas?

I thought about a Neetsfoot/beeswax concoction that I read about on the board for the front(gun side), but I don't know if that would work well for the back because I would like to maintain the "suede" feel of the flesh side. Maintaining the "feel" is of course secondary to protecting the leather from the hazards of being used daily... especially with a TX summer coming up.

That appears to be a knock off of a Crossbread Holster's "SuperTuck", and as a knock off, I can't tell you what kind of leather is used in it. If it's all totally soft, it's probably chrome tanned and will need no additional finish applied to the leather- it's done. However.....the chrome tanning process can (usually does) make the leather rather unfriendly to the gun's finish. I suppose if it's one of the new 'super' finishes there might be no damage, but for the cost of a gun.....you wanna take the chance?

Another good indicator that it's a knock off is that the back side of the leather has exposed T-nuts. I wouldn't worry about the leather to skin nearly so much as I would worry about those T-nuts rubbing holes through clothing and skin. They will, at the very least, make some awfully sore spots. If you really want that type holster, I suggest getting your money back on the one pictured and ordering a REAL CBH supertuck.....maybe even contact the owner of CBH and let him know about the knock off.

Why not line the back to hide the metal.You can use just about anything to keep the rivet backs off your clothes.

charlie

Best way to finish the pictured holster.

1. Take it apart.

2. Save the nuts screws and washers

3. Save the scabbard

4. Use the leather as a pattern, or make your own, more like a CB

5. Order a pair of J-Hooks from Crossbreed, I think they are $5

6. Get a piece of horsehide from Springfield Leather (it is relatively cheap)

7. Double and stitch a new back with the nuts on the inside.

8. You don't need to dye it, the horsehide will have a nice patina over a little time

9. While you're at it, make a nice Horsehide scabbard instead of that plastic stuff

10. Just a coat of Bag-Kote or Tan-Kote will finish it, after that dries Leather Balm with Atom wax to shine it up.

11. If you get some t-nuts, screws, and washers, you can put the old one back together and sell it to one of your buddies and you will have a custom holster that YOU made. But then you'll be expected to make them for your friends.

If you make your own leather scabbards, you can wet form them to any gun.

Art

I bought this holster(pictures are stock photos) and I was wondering if there is a proper way to finish something like this? It seems that people tend to use one finish on the outside(smooth side) and a different one on the inside(rough side) of a "typical" holster.

This leather is flipped though, and it's not stiff at all. So the rough side will be in direct contact with my body or an undershirt and the smooth side will be in contact with the firearm.

As it stands now it is a single piece of 100% unfinished leather, but I want to properly finish it hoping that it will last longer that way.

If you can't tell I know little to nothing about finishing holsters... any suggestions on finishing this leather that won't negatively impact the firearm or my love handles?

Thanks!

Actually for what they are it is a decent holster and works well. As to being a Crossbreed knockoff you don't really think that Crossbreed developed the kydex leather idea. If the exposed T-nuts worry you, they shouldn't, glue and stitch a liner of 2/3 or 3/4 to the back. Finish the whole thing with bagkote or super sheen and enjoy it. At least it wasn't assembled with speedy rivets like Crossbreed.

The exposed hardware doesn't bother me, and I was hoping to forgo gluing and stitching a liner on it(unless there's not a good way to finish the leather's flesh side)

Will Bagkote and leather balm/atom wax work well on the flesh side?

Actually for what they are it is a decent holster and works well. As to being a Crossbreed knockoff you don't really think that Crossbreed developed the kydex leather idea. If the exposed T-nuts worry you, they shouldn't, glue and stitch a liner of 2/3 or 3/4 to the back. Finish the whole thing with bagkote or super sheen and enjoy it. At least it wasn't assembled with speedy rivets like Crossbreed.

The exposed hardware doesn't bother me, and I was hoping to forgo gluing and stitching a liner on it(unless there's not a good way to finish the leather's flesh side)

It will work just fine on the flesh side.

That appears to be a knock off of a Crossbread Holster's "SuperTuck".... Another good indicator that it's a knock off is that the back side of the leather has exposed T-nuts.

All of the Supertuck holsters from Crossbreed that I've seen have exposed t-nuts.

Beken,

What did you wind up using to finish this? How did it work? How did it hold up?

I've made a few of them and prefer not to finish the back. I don't want anything stiffening up the rough side. Stiffened fibers of that leather will scrap and poke you far more than the T nuts will. I made one for my G19 because I can't stand the horsehide squeak that my CB has. It's 100% unfinished 8-9 oz Hermann Oak and there have been no issues. I went with leather because everything I have made from horsehide has a built in squeak to it. YMMV, but I don't like it much. I'll be making another mag holder to replace my squeaky horsehide one at some point. I just need to settle on a design.

Tons of companies are knocking off the design. And from what I understand CB was one of those companies. For some reason what they were doing just took off. But my understanding is that they did not originate the concept.