Here's Satchel No5.

made for a friend with arthritic hands, I designed this one with a larger front pocket and adjustable magnetic fasteners. They look like traditional buckles, and it works to allow the strap length to be changed, but the actual closure is magnetic.

Its also the first bag i have been able to use my Maker Stamp on. Makes me feel like a proper leatherworker now i have the stamp!

Satchel No5

Satchel No5 front

Satchel No5 Makers Stamp

Satchel No5 high view

Satchel No5 Open

love to hear any comments, suggestions etc.

adam

Edited by lightningad

Really impressed....a satchel is on my to make list very soon. What leather did you use; is it just veg tan ? If so what dye did you use ?

Stiching looks really good also ;)

Can I ask where you got the magnetic buckles from ?

I have been looking t getting a makers stamp as it does seem to give a better finished look to projects did you get yours in the uk ?

Adam

another Adam! hello!!

thanks for the kind words.

The leather is not veg-tan but something i got from Leprevo.co.uk called Dyed Thru Full Butt. So i didn't have to colour the leather at all.

The buckles and magnetic catches also came from leprevo. The closure was made by using two leather strips sewn back to back, with a magnetic catch on one side and a standard buckle further up the strip and mounted on the other side of the strip . This buckle attatches to the billet strap as normal and allows the position to be altered if required.

Satchel No5 strap detail

this might show it a bit better.

I got my maker stamp from LWLeatherworks.com (http://www.etsy.com/.../LWleatherworks) - they also advertise and post on this forum.

adam

Edited by lightningad

This is a nice looking bag ! Clean and solid construction. I wonder how it would look in a two tone version? ...or in a distress look?. A flat pocket on the back for passport and plane tickets , maybe a divider inside the main compartment ( for a photo camera or other small items) and you got yourself a nice travel satchel. A hot press will help that maker stamp to stand out more. Great work !!!!!

I was wondering about trying to heat the stamp with a blow torch before stamping! I cant afford anything as fancy as a heated press just yet!

I'm actually making myself a flight bag at the moment - I often travel abroad on business and i'm fed up with bags that dont have the flexibility for my needs. Its bigger than most, but it is within the regulation dimensions for carry on luggage. I am sticking with a single BIG inner so it can hold my clothes and any other crap i might want to carry.

The backside has a large flat document pocket, and i'm probably going to add a water bottle holder to one end. Its made with a thick yet soft oily mottled tan coloured cowside. It has an instant aged look.

One plan is to make a matching smaller laptop bag that will fit inside the main bag using trigger clips to hold it secure. Then when get to the hotel, i can unclip the shoulder strap from the big bag and transfer it to the laptop bag. Only downside to this is that i need to buy more leather to make the smaller bag.

I was wondering about trying to heat the stamp with a blow torch before stamping! I cant afford anything as fancy as a heated press just yet!

The temperature doesn't have to be high...you'll burn the leather. If you can set that stamp in a press of some kind and use a heat gun you should be ok...it's just a matter of experimenting on left over pieces until you get the right result. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Kwikprint model 86 hot press for about $300. A bit overkill for my needs but for that price I can live with it..lol...

Very clean design. I like it! I did something a few years back with the buckle & snap closure and it's incredibly convenient not having to do up two buckles every time. The snaps are barely even visible too, so it works out great.

I think your bag would benefit from a coat of edge paint if you don't want to do a full edge burnishing. A slightly darker brown on the edges would be pretty quick and easy and would really step the bag up a notch in aesthetics.

Great work!

Try heating it in an oven. Do a little research and see if you can find the recommended temperature for the foil. I used to have a heated press my son used for making business cards. It was definitely hot enough to burn fingers, but not really hot. Wish I still had it!

Less likely to damage the stamp too since you can control the temperature.

Tom

lovely job again fella

maybe some contrasting stitching & some black/dark edge paint ?

how many stitches per inch is that ?

I do believe that High-Fives are in order...

thanks for the encouraging comments.

To answer a few points....I have used contrast stitches on some of my other bags, but for this one my sister-in-law (for its now hers) wanted it matching.

The edges were burnished as best i could with just beeswax and a rounded wooden burnisher. It starts off looking quite nice but after a few days it seems to soak into the leather. Hopefully it will help stop moisture being absorbed. I will be looking into getting some edge paint for future projects.

In fact, i've just remembered - i made the shoulder pad as an afterthought, and used a different leather for the underside, then dyed it with a dark brown fiebings dye to help bind the two edges colourwise. Having seen the result, If i had not already beeswaxed the edges i would have tried dyeing all the edges as it does look better....live and learn!!

I think the stitch marker i have is 7 stitches to the inch...

Tom - what foil are you refering to?

Nice bag, very solid and cool design, like the magnet buckle deal....well done!

Have to make my dear daughter a simular like college bag soon....she is leaving the nest for good...szzzz....they grow sooo fast.

As been said, you done well !!!

James

another Adam! hello!!

thanks for the kind words.

The leather is not veg-tan but something i got from Leprevo.co.uk called Dyed Thru Full Butt. So i didn't have to colour the leather at all.

The buckles and magnetic catches also came from leprevo. The closure was made by using two leather strips sewn back to back, with a magnetic catch on one side and a standard buckle further up the strip and mounted on the other side of the strip . This buckle attatches to the billet strap as normal and allows the position to be altered if required.

this might show it a bit better.

I got my maker stamp from LWLeatherworks.com (http://www.etsy.com/.../LWleatherworks) - they also advertise and post on this forum.

adam

Hi Adam great name ;)

I thought it might of been pre dyed can I ask how much that set you back and how many square feet you got for the price ? I'm just about to order a double butt from Abbey england for a belt, dog collars and leads. I was going to order last Monday; but funds were a bit short. How did you find it to work with compared to the normal veg tan ?

Love the idea of the magnetic catch mixed with buckles and appreciate the pic to makes things clear :)

I think i paid approx £50 for around 20-22sqft. (plus tax and shipping etc!) its much firmer than the veg tan i have used before, and you need to be careful not to scratch the surface. i found it really pleasant to work with.

i'm not sure if the butt youre refering to is quite the same kind of leather. I think the sort used for leads and collars tend to be an oily leather, whereas the one i used had more of a painted surface.

I think i paid approx £50 for around 20-22sqft. (plus tax and shipping etc!) its much firmer than the veg tan i have used before, and you need to be careful not to scratch the surface. i found it really pleasant to work with.

i'm not sure if the butt youre refering to is quite the same kind of leather. I think the sort used for leads and collars tend to be an oily leather, whereas the one i used had more of a painted surface.

I always seem to manage to mark the surface...I think maybe I should keep my work bench cleaner!

The double butt I'm going to order is a Abbey bridle butt

Adam