Sign in to follow this  
JamesR

Stitching horse use

Ok you put your leather pieces in the jaws of the stitching horse and now how do you proceed?

You stab a hole from the right to the left (assuming a right handed stitcher) or is the work held parallel to the body?

Do you start stitching from right to left or left to right?

Finally are you working towards your body or away from it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance

Jim

I think whatever way you feel the most comfortable is the way you should work. The key is to do it consistently. I'm right handed, so I stab with my right hand toward my left hand. I also work from right to left. It's what feels comfortable to me.

I'd practice on some scrap, and make sure to get the direction of the holes going the right way for how you sew. You want to tilt your awl blade at about 45 degrees so that your stitches lay properly. Also make sure that you always use your needles in the same sequence every time, or your stitching won't look right. I took and placed a mark on my awl so that I always hold it the same way every time I pick it up.

Make sure your awl is really sharp and stropped, and it helps to touch the tip on a cake of beeswax before each stab. Helps the blade glide right through like a hot knife through butter...

Look at some examples of good looking stitching, and try to copy what you see. It takes practice, so don't expect to have professional looking results right from the get-go. Post examples of your work if you have questions, and some of the wonderful people here will chime in with suggestions on how to improve.

Hope this was helpful to you!

Hilly

I mark the leather for the stitch holes. I usually put the stitch line right above the jaws. When you use the awl to make your holes, you will notice it will push the leather and stretch it on the off side. I usually hold my beeswax on that side and punch into it. That eliminates one step in the process.

Again, do what seems to work for you. You may need to try a few different ways until you find the best for you.

Joe

Ok you put your leather pieces in the jaws of the stitching horse and now how do you proceed?

You stab a hole from the right to the left (assuming a right handed stitcher) or is the work held parallel to the body?

Do you start stitching from right to left or left to right?

Finally are you working towards your body or away from it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance

Jim

Hi Jim,

Here's how I do it. I am right handed, so I hold the awl in my right hand with the right hand needle in between the index and middle finger (kind of like a cigarette). and the left hand needle the same way.

I pierce the hole from right to left, with the front of the project facing the right hand. Insert the left hand needle, reach over the project with the left hand and pull the needle through about 5-6 inches and pull the thread into the upper corner of the diamond shaped hole. Then insert the right hand needle behind the thread in the hole. Switch the left hand needle to the right hand and use your left hand to pull the right hand needle through. Pull the stitch up tight, and repeat with the next hole. I stitch toward me.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try to take some pictures.

I think whatever way you feel the most comfortable is the way you should work. The key is to do it consistently. I'm right handed, so I stab with my right hand toward my left hand. I also work from right to left. It's what feels comfortable to me.

I'd practice on some scrap, and make sure to get the direction of the holes going the right way for how you sew. You want to tilt your awl blade at about 45 degrees so that your stitches lay properly. Also make sure that you always use your needles in the same sequence every time, or your stitching won't look right. I took and placed a mark on my awl so that I always hold it the same way every time I pick it up.

Make sure your awl is really sharp and stropped, and it helps to touch the tip on a cake of beeswax before each stab. Helps the blade glide right through like a hot knife through butter...

Look at some examples of good looking stitching, and try to copy what you see. It takes practice, so don't expect to have professional looking results right from the get-go. Post examples of your work if you have questions, and some of the wonderful people here will chime in with suggestions on how to improve.

Hope this was helpful to you!

Hilly

Hilly,

Does the work face you if you are working right to left?

You see I am making a stitching horse and I was not sure if it should pivot. If I make it pivot then the work can face any way I want. Thank you for the insight.

I have a lot to learn and the folks on this site are quite generous with their information.

Jim

Hilly,

Does the work face you if you are working right to left?

You see I am making a stitching horse and I was not sure if it should pivot. If I make it pivot then the work can face any way I want. Thank you for the insight.

I have a lot to learn and the folks on this site are quite generous with their information.

Jim

Hi Jim.

Nope, my work is not facing me.

If you could imagine your hands together in prayer.... now clamp a church bulletin (or a piece of leather) between them as you pray, and you can visualize my stitching horse jaws and the leather....

I pray I get this next stitch striaght.... I pray I don't stab my finger again.... :)

Personally, I used the plans in Stohlman's book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" as a guide in constructing my stitching horse.

Enjoy your addiction!

Hilly

There's an excellent tutorial on handstitching at http://www.bowstock.co.uk/saddstit0.html.

It follows through Marlon's instructions, with pictures.

Terry

rawhide,

Thanks, that pretty much explains it step by step. I am left handed so I guess I will reverse your instructions.

I had been stitching away from myself for some reason, (lefties do things a little differently sometimes) but I can see why it would be better to sittch towards myself.

By the way I read what you had to say about Bob Douglas stitching awls on another post and I purchased one. I own a number of very fine woodworking tools and this tool is equal to the finest ones I own. It works much better than any of the other awls I have. Now I am looking at his stitch groover.

Thanks again to one and all for the help.

Jim

rawhide,

Thanks, that pretty much explains it step by step. I am left handed so I guess I will reverse your instructions.

I had been stitching away from myself for some reason, (lefties do things a little differently sometimes) but I can see why it would be better to sittch towards myself.

By the way I read what you had to say about Bob Douglas stitching awls on another post and I purchased one. I own a number of very fine woodworking tools and this tool is equal to the finest ones I own. It works much better than any of the other awls I have. Now I am looking at his stitch groover.

Thanks again to one and all for the help.

Jim

Jim,

Glad that helps you out. Since you're a lefty, you should be able to reverse the instructions, except still stitch toward yourself. Bob's awls are the best...also, the versa groover, while expensive, is the perfect tool for the job... it excels where all others fail, HANDS DOWN.

There's an excellent tutorial on handstitching at http://www.bowstock.co.uk/saddstit0.html.

It follows through Marlon's instructions, with pictures.

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Jim