Jome

Leather Dye

Hey all,

I am trying to find a dye that won't bleed out of the edges of leather when I get the leather wet.

I put dye on the edge of some skirting leather and then burnish the edge with gum tragacanth and beeswax. When I put the leather into some water to soften it up after it is done, some dye comes off.

Is there a dye that will soak into the leather and not bleed out when it gets wet?

Thanks in advance!

It is my understanding (maybe incorrectly) that you wet form stuff first then dye it. Maybe for this exact reason? I'm not sure.

I don't dye until after I wet form mostly, then I dip dye. If you are using water based dyes that maybe the problem. If I wanted to go the other way (dye first) then I would dip dye the pieces with alcohol based dyes then let them dry for at least 24 hours befor wetting for wet forming. I do use drum dyed backs and with them there is never a problem with discoloration from forming.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

I do form my leather before I dye it, the dye and burnishing are done last. It's sandals that I put in the water so they are soft and adjustable before they go on my feet. When the sandals are put into the water, some dye bleeds out.

I use alcohol based Fiebing's dye, could this be why?

Dye also comes out of my boots and expensive comfy shoes when they get wet. Not a lot but if I rub a cloth over them while wet, you can see the color bleeding off.