Sign in to follow this  
Chris of WV

Odd Craftool "stamp"... #59

Anyone want to tell me what this stamp is for? I bought it on eBay, and it was listed as a discontinued Craftool 59 stamp. While I"m sure it's Craftool (early, since there's no letter designation), I'm almost thinking it's a stylus and not a stamp... Any ideas or suggestions?

post-21041-065297500 1309526021_thumb.jp

post-21041-090063100 1309526019_thumb.jp

post-21041-013270200 1309526018_thumb.jp

That's a stylus, used for tracing your cutting/tooling pattern onto leather.

Anyone want to tell me what this stamp is for? I bought it on eBay, and it was listed as a discontinued Craftool 59 stamp. While I"m sure it's Craftool (early, since there's no letter designation), I'm almost thinking it's a stylus and not a stamp... Any ideas or suggestions?

post-21041-065297500 1309526021_thumb.jp

post-21041-090063100 1309526019_thumb.jp

post-21041-013270200 1309526018_thumb.jp

Chris: it's a tracing stylus, although it wouldn't necessarily be early (I'd have to check mine to see if it has any letter associated with the number, but I don't think so). However, it IS early- you can tell by the knurling on the shaft- it's much more defined than the later (cast) ones. I don't know if it has been discontinued or not- I bought mine back in 2006 0r 07...

russ

Chris: it's a tracing stylus, although it wouldn't necessarily be early (I'd have to check mine to see if it has any letter associated with the number, but I don't think so). However, it IS early- you can tell by the knurling on the shaft- it's much more defined than the later (cast) ones. I don't know if it has been discontinued or not- I bought mine back in 2006 0r 07...

russ

Hmm, ok... Thanks a lot TigerPal and whinewine! I was looking at WyomingSlick's craftool stamp pages (which are awesome by the way) and the first number he had was a 60... I was thinking about buying a stylus, but I must admit that I like the look of this one enough to just use it! :) Something about it just "looks" sturdy...

Hi Chris, Looks like a good one there. Craftool never used a letter designation on this tool number as far as I know. The only sure way to date it is by the company name. If it is stamped only CRAFTOOL CO, with no USA on it, then it was made prior to 1968. The knurling and the style of the number stamping suggest it is an earlier tool.

There are some other Craftools out there with only numbers and no letter prefix that will fall in this same category. These would be utility type tools such as grommet and snap setters (#s such as 52 through 58), and some numbers in the upper 400 range which are lacing punches.

By the way - I like your picture. I am a big fan of "squeezebox" music.

Hi Chris, Looks like a good one there. Craftool never used a letter designation on this tool number as far as I know. The only sure way to date it is by the company name. If it is stamped only CRAFTOOL CO, with no USA on it, then it was made prior to 1968. The knurling and the style of the number stamping suggest it is an earlier tool.

There are some other Craftools out there with only numbers and no letter prefix that will fall in this same category. These would be utility type tools such as grommet and snap setters (#s such as 52 through 58), and some numbers in the upper 400 range which are lacing punches.

By the way - I like your picture. I am a big fan of "squeezebox" music.

Thanks WyomingSlick! I am actually using your craftool "guide" as I purchase my stamps from eBay, in order to make sure I don't get too many duplicates, lol... I think I'm up to fifty-something now. :) Glad you like the profile pic too... I play the accordion, guitar, piano, banjo, and tin whistles with a celtic/bluegrass gospel group here in WV... Tons of fun! ^_^