DrmCa

Does Anyone Use The Thread Exchange And What Are The Alternatives?

Used to get bonded nylons from Thread Exchange a few years back, but did not shop at them for some time.

It looks like they jacked up the prices quite a bit.

Their bonded nylon 8 oz cones used to be in the neighbourhood of $5-10, now they are over $20.

They have a variety, no doubt, but are there other mail order thread stores that are not necessarily on the first couple pages of Google that you know of?

Actually, I LOVE thread exchange. For anyone not familiar, they have a good product, at a decent price, fast delivery, and have even offered to have me send them a sample of what I'm sewing so they can match thread color.

Beyond that, I have also ordered at http://www.superiorthreads.com/

Yeah.. prices have gone up on everything. Look at leather prices!

I've bought from them before and been more than satisfied. I like the fact that they have small spools and I'm not stuck with a 1 pound spool of some color that I'll have for the rest of my life.

I have used them for several years and always have been happy with their products and delivery.

Check with the sewing machine dealers, Toledo, Cobra, Keystone, and see what they have. I have just about anything I need, and a lot of it came from The Thread Exchange. They carry Service, Eddington, and A&E, all good threads, Service and Eddington are USA, I don't think A&E are anymore, but they have bought many good factories around the world. About prices being higher, maybe a little, but it IS good thread. Lots of colors too which you won't necessarily find everywhere. Colors stop at 277, white brown black there and bigger.

Art

I love the Thread Exchange. Excellent color and weight selections and prompt delivery with exactly what I ordered. I usually buy the polyester, because of the extra UV durability. I have never been disappointed with their products, and I feel their prices are right in the ball park.

jr

Did anyone buy their (Thread Exchange) 50lb or 100lb deals?

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 10# nylon/polyester grab box and couldn't be happier with what came in it.

Granted, I bought 4 other spools of heavier thread, so maybe they used that to cue off when filling my misc mix, but there's lots of good colors and only 2 spools of #46 and one of #277 (too big for my machine, but might still be handy for something).  Everything else was a mix of 69 and 138 with a single spool of 207 (which I can use on the top stitch).  Several appear to be first quality spools.  No birds nests as advertised, everything was tied off nice and neat, with most being individually bagged.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Whats the cost of this grab box?

Im trying to stick with 2 threads, big and little, 277 and 92 but i need to look at some smaller prolly

I recently found Superior thread in 277 poly i like and everything is reasonable compared to Solarfix or the hi heat threads avail.

$25 for 10#

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=polyester-thread-boxes

I'll take a pic the next time I'm at my machine.  @ $2 a spool, it was a great option for me.  I can't find any normal colors in 69, 92, or 138 locally.  Maybe I just totally lucked out?

Careful with them. If you return something you pay return shipping as well then they review if they will honor the return or not. It can end up costing as much to return something as the cost of the thread you ordered. Oh and if they deem its not there fault for a return and that it needs to get sent back to you, yep shipping again. 

I ordered a bunch of polyester that was listed as bonded it was not and the sizes they sent me were not correct either, it took several phone calls to get a return setup and it took some persistence to get return shipping covered even though it was a mistake on there part. Ill buy from Bob or another supplier when I order thread again.

Madmax22,

Sorry you had a difficult experience with them.  My experience was entirely different.  I ordered several rolls of handstitching thread, and the 25# box of thread.  The box came with a sizeable hole knocked into it.  I send a photo of it back to them, without opening, presuming I would have to send it back or document what was in and what was missing.  Without missing a beat, they resent the entire order no further questions asked, no charge, and let me keep the original shipment.  I will certainly give them my business again.

YinTx

This is just the 10# box part of my order.

20170215_001946-1.jpg

I have quite a few spools from Thread Exchange, and some from Superior as well.  Lately, I bough some 277 and 346 of Bob's "Cowboy" thread.  Haven't use a lot of it just yet (I only bought natural and black in nylon) but it seems quite painless.  Rolls off the spool smoothly and pulls in tight.  

@$80/lb, that better be some good stuff.  :blink:  Ok, so they probably combine shipping, but still, it's $60 for (4) 1/4lb spools.

I bought another 10# grab box when I needed heavier thread for the 441 clone, and got some needles from Thread Exchange as well.  Once again, they sent me a couple spools of #46 and the rest was 69 and up in a good color spread and weights.

I've been using their thread on some projects and am very happy with it.

Just got my delivery from Bob (Toledo sewing), guess what, it was exactly what I ordered and it took about 3 days less shipping then getting the wrong stuff from the exchange. 

Have not had a chance to use the thread yet but will see how it serves me over the weekend. 

Plus his thread was ALL labeled, and all came wrapped and sealed.