THE Buckeyes

Round Knife Needed

In search of a round knife mainly for skiving. I would would prefer something on the smaller side. Wanted to see what was available before I went and purchased new or from Bruce Johnson. Thanks.

For traditional skiving, the shoe type skiving knives from Lisa Sorrell are pretty good. The best I have found are the skiving knives from Robert Beard although the wait time might be a little long.

You can use a round knife to skive, but generally the smaller the better. The Leather Wranglers Tranto and Guppy will do a decent job skiving as will their "Full Sized" round knife I have the round knife and the Tranto and they both work well for a lot of things.

If you are doing intricate skiving like for filigree on boot tops (that will be backed), you will need a smaller knife like a 3/4 inch shoe knife, or my old friends, the surgical scalpels. Learn to master these two types and you won't need anything else; and you know what...they are also the least expensive.

Art

For traditional skiving, the shoe type skiving knives from Lisa Sorrell are pretty good. The best I have found are the skiving knives from Robert Beard although the wait time might be a little long.

You can use a round knife to skive, but generally the smaller the better. The Leather Wranglers Tranto and Guppy will do a decent job skiving as will their "Full Sized" round knife I have the round knife and the Tranto and they both work well for a lot of things.

If you are doing intricate skiving like for filigree on boot tops (that will be backed), you will need a smaller knife like a 3/4 inch shoe knife, or my old friends, the surgical scalpels. Learn to master these two types and you won't need anything else; and you know what...they are also the least expensive.

Art

Art

Thanks Art. I'll take a look at all of those. It's challenging not having any reference point as to feel and balance with all these knives.

i have 2 round knives both are 3 1/4 inch ones a rose and the other is a osborne i also have a lot of othe hand tools

The first selection is better. It is still pretty big at 1.5 inches but not unmanageable. The ones with the wood handles are for a different type of skiving although they can be used for edge skiving. When edge skiving, you either hold the blade by wrapping your fingers around it on one thin side and your thumb on the other or you hold it somewhat like a pencil. The one with the wooden handle is used to pare-down leather as you would do on a belt buckle end.

Watch this video. The knife in the center is a Bob Beard. She doesn't sell them anymore as they are hard to get from Bob.

I have never dealt with this guy, but these knives look good and are reasonably priced.

Art

The first selection is better. It is still pretty big at 1.5 inches but not unmanageable. The ones with the wood handles are for a different type of skiving although they can be used for edge skiving. When edge skiving, you either hold the blade by wrapping your fingers around it on one thin side and your thumb on the other or you hold it somewhat like a pencil. The one with the wooden handle is used to pare-down leather as you would do on a belt buckle end.

Watch

video. The knife in the center is a Bob Beard. She doesn't sell them anymore as they are hard to get from Bob.

I have never dealt with this guy, but these knives look good and are reasonably priced.

Art

Thank you, Art. I think I am looking for both options of knives then. So angled edges for edge skiving and straight edge for overall paring (as you mentioned for belt ends) and more central parts of the leather?

Like I said, the head knife can be used for skiving and a whole bunch of other stuff too. Verlane could skive a straight or curved edge with a head knife and pare down a belt end too. So, it is all a matter of what you learn; just make sure it is screaming bloody sharp.

Art

i have a w. rose that messures 3 7/8 and a osborne founded 1826 it messures 4 inch