Sign in to follow this  
particle

1911 - 3" - Leather Weight

The reinforcement piece on my Avenger-style holsters comes down quite low. When I form holsters with 8-9 oz leather, it can be pretty difficult to get a good, form-fitting wrap around the upper portion of the firearm. Thus, shorter 3" barrels CAN tend to be a little looser than I would prefer if I don't manage to form that double-layer ~1/4" thick leather. Lately, I've gotten a TON of interest in EMP holsters. While I don't have an EMP, most are interested in buying a 3" 1911 holster for their EMP. Yes, I'm aware of the notable size difference, but people want me to build it that way anyway and everyone has been happy with the fit.

My question is - what weight leather do you use for a 3" 1911? Would you stick with 8-9 oz? Or drop down to maybe 6-7 oz? What if you knew it was for the EMP which is a good bit lighter in weight?

1076935941_8mkZJ-M.jpg

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable going to 6-7oz.. I think I'd at least add a welt to fill the entire area not taken up by the pistol, to add stiffness. That would actually INCREASE the thickness in the belt slot area, while reducing it throughout the rest of the holster.

Very nice holster

Edited by bitone40

You have more experience than I, but give it a try. The one in my avatar is horse in 6 to 7 oz, and it is holding up fine for the 3" XD. I'm about ready to make one for my EMP, with a few changes.

Rick P.

Edited by Rick Pen

This may not help at all in answering your questions but here goes: I've made exactly one avenger style holster (very similar to yours) and it was made with 6-7 oz. I have been wearing it for more than 6 months or so carrying my CZ-75 compact two-tone model with a 14 rd magazine (very heavy for something they call compact) and it has worked fine. However, with that being said, the fit has loosened quite a bit in the time I have been using it and at some point it may become too loose for me to be comfortable with it. I have since started making all of my holsters out of 8-9 oz (unless it's for a mouse gun).

With the much lighter weight and smaller size of the EMP, you will probably be ok with 6-7 oz., especially if you can get a tighter boning on it.

Hope this helps a little!

i use 7-8 W/C for mine. works great. not so thick that i cant mold it nice and tight to gun. For my pancakes, i use 8-10 on the back piece and 7-8 on the front. i have seen your video on your website and while basically the same in the cutting and designing we differ on the wetting, molding, and forming. your holsters are great and we love seeing them.

Tony

I've been using 6 - 7 oz on the body and 8 - 9 oz on the stifiner around the opening. I will say most of what I build so far is IWB holsters so it does not seem to be a problem. I can see where 8 - 9 oz on the OWB would be better. I have a cheap holster, I purchased once OWB made out of what looks like 5 - 6 oz. I really do not like how it feels. It is has a cocked and locked snap closer but it really feels to thin in my opinion. The opening colapes very easy. Reholstering the gun is dificult.

The reinforcement piece on my Avenger-style holsters comes down quite low. When I form holsters with 8-9 oz leather, it can be pretty difficult to get a good, form-fitting wrap around the upper portion of the firearm. Thus, shorter 3" barrels CAN tend to be a little looser than I would prefer if I don't manage to form that double-layer ~1/4" thick leather. Lately, I've gotten a TON of interest in EMP holsters. While I don't have an EMP, most are interested in buying a 3" 1911 holster for their EMP. Yes, I'm aware of the notable size difference, but people want me to build it that way anyway and everyone has been happy with the fit.

My question is - what weight leather do you use for a 3" 1911? Would you stick with 8-9 oz? Or drop down to maybe 6-7 oz? What if you knew it was for the EMP which is a good bit lighter in weight?

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Particle. Being a bit different in my approach to holsters in that almost all of my work is made with a double layer of leather bonded together, I'd stay with the heavier leather. The holsters I've made for any of the sub-compact SA autos have been from two layers of 4/5 oz, with a 6/7 oz reinforcement/belt loop. I don't bone my holsters but firmly mold them so that when placing the gun into it, there's a distinct "thk" sound. The two grain layers seem (to me) to retain their rigidity better (after drying with some heat) than a single piece of thicker leather. JMHO Mike

Edited by katsass