jonwatsabaugh

lightweight wade

Here's one I finished for a local gal a few weeks ago. It sports one of my fiberglass encased trees( 4 lbs.) and 13-15 oz. Herman Oak skirting. With everything hang'in, it weighed in at 30 lbs.

Jon

lg 9.JPGlg 8.JPG

post-5418-125513733734_thumb.jpg

post-5418-125513746948_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking rig Jon. Tooling and border look exceptional. ChuckNorris

Very nice saddle, Jon, as usual. May I ask - what wood are you using in these lightweight trees?

Next Q Jon. How are you acheiving that gorgeous two tone effect, especially the meander stamping. Now that I really like, strikingly effective?

Barra

Edited by barra

Outstanding work! Looks like your 5053 rigging plate, is an inskirt design? What weight leather do you use?

Steve

Woo yeah! Very sweet indeed Sir. I'm impressed with how light your trees are, at 4 lbs. How do you achieve that? Is most of the weight savings from not using rawhide? I'm not a tree maker but I know there is only so much one can cut off a tree and still keep it sound.

Even still, how do you get the weight down to 30 lbs using heavy weight leather? Does that include the stirrups? I notice you said with everything hanging but the picture shows it without them. The reason I ask is I can't seem to get mine even close to that weight.

Also, it looks like you used Hermann Oak Chestnut. It looks like you managed to get some without all the fat wrinkles I got when I ordered it. It seems they tend to use their less than perfect hides for the drum dyed stuff and it's all TR grade. Has that been your experience with it?

Anyhow, really nice, clean work. Definitely quality of which to aspire.

*sigh* Seeing your saddles makes me wish I still got to ride. It's gorgeous.

Kate

Thanks all!

Brent,

I did'nt have a clue how much this tree would weigh once it was finished, but after selecting some lower density poplar combined with my standard epoxy/fiberglass encasing process, the result was 4 lbs. The saddle without stirrups, with breast collar, and both cinches weghed 27 lbs. She had her own stirrups and I did'nt get to weigh them...just guessing 3 lbs. The leather is standard russet Herman Oak with an extra coat of oil and lots of warm Iowa sun.

Steve,

Yes, it is an in-skirt rig

Bara,

I just antiqued the stamping and carving to get the color

Denise,

I use yellow poplar in all my trees. Down the road I want to try using douglas fir, but right now I just can't get good stuff at anywhere near a reasonable price. The poplar however has many great attributes and I like working with it.

Jon

Jon,

I am really impressed with your workmanship! The lines are very nice and it lays together beautifully. I'm extra prejudiced because of the in-skirt rigging....my favorite! I think that your tooling theme is a perfect example of how "less is more"! I agree with Ben, the finish is absolutley beautiful! I would love to get a chance to pick your brain about finishing one day. One of the other things that really stands out to me is how clean everything is. There are no little marks or blemishes anywhere. My hat is off to you! Beautiful saddle!

Bobby

Jon,

Great to see you posting again! Very nice clean lines. That is a sharp saddle with a great finish! How many of these light weight Wades have you done?

Regards,

Ben

Nice clean made saddle. I really like the the shape of the horn and the front on your wade trees, very nice saddle

Thanks all!

Brent,

I did'nt have a clue how much this tree would weigh once it was finished, but after selecting some lower density poplar combined with my standard epoxy/fiberglass encasing process, the result was 4 lbs. The saddle without stirrups, with breast collar, and both cinches weghed 27 lbs. She had her own stirrups and I did'nt get to weigh them...just guessing 3 lbs. The leather is standard russet Herman Oak with an extra coat of oil and lots of warm Iowa sun.

Steve,

Yes, it is an in-skirt rig

Bara,

I just antiqued the stamping and carving to get the color

Denise,

I use yellow poplar in all my trees. Down the road I want to try using douglas fir, but right now I just can't get good stuff at anywhere near a reasonable price. The poplar however has many great attributes and I like working with it.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon. I really appreciate your help on this weight issue. I'm totally blown away by the numbers, though. Guess I'll have to get out the scale again and try to figure out where I'm adding in the extra weight. Do you order your leather leveled?

Jon,

that is one great looking saddle! Love how smooth the earcuts and cantlebinding are. Great lines on the skirts and fenders.

Darc

Jon, this saddle is so beautiful, I have made it my desk top feature so I can stare at it on occasion.Only problem would be tht its just so flawless, I can't imagine taking it from the display stand to a working environment. The lines are exceptional. Hope you post more of your work.

Thanks,

Randy

I guess I just need to ditto what everone else has said.

Very nice job and the color is a grand slam home run.