DDS

Wanted singer 96 with foot pedal stand

Hello Guys and Dolls

I,m looking for an old singer 97 with original metal stand and pedlals, must be Uk pick-up, and be in good working condition.

Cheers

Davy.

97_7.jpg

post-9615-1236207727_thumb.jpg

You and many others Davy, these things are rarer than hens teeth, and those I have heard of for sale go for very silly prices! I think you will be very lucky to find one. But good luck anyway!

Steve

There has been one of these for sale on ebay for the last 12 months down here. It doesn't have that old stand and they want $4900 for it. There are probably better machines than those these days.

Tony.

I wonder about the prices of these things. I like old machines and I only sew as a hobby so I want one as well... but I've seen them listed in the US for over $3000. What do they go for in the UK Steve?

As far as I know they don't make the needles for them any more so you have to adjust the machine to use 794 needles. Then it'll only sew about 15 mm or thereabouts. That plus wear and lack of parts - why would anyone spend that sort of money? I would get a Toro or suchlike if I had that much to spend.

Is the 97 in Australia listed the one that's listed on an Ebay shop?

I wonder about the prices of these things. I like old machines and I only sew as a hobby so I want one as well... but I've seen them listed in the US for over $3000. What do they go for in the UK Steve?

As far as I know they don't make the needles for them any more so you have to adjust the machine to use 794 needles. Then it'll only sew about 15 mm or thereabouts. That plus wear and lack of parts - why would anyone spend that sort of money? I would get a Toro or suchlike if I had that much to spend.

Yes, it is.

Tony.

Hi Davy,

They (97-10) sell over here for $2800-$3000 converted to a 794 needle system. They will sew one inch leather, but unless you really need that machine, or collect them, or need something to hold things down in a nor'easter, a newer 441 might be better, there are parts for the 441s that allow you to do leather over 1".

Art

Hello Guys and Dolls

I,m looking for an old singer 97 with original metal stand and pedlals, must be Uk pick-up, and be in good working condition.

Cheers

Davy.

I've never seen one offered in the UK for any price, they are so scarce here they just never seem to appear! I tried to get hold of one once, to stitch buckles onto straps. Our local sewing machine guy had never even heared of them, they were a complete unknown to him! I then tried a machine dealer 'up north', he was aware of them and thought that he could find one. That was over a year ago, and as far as I know he's still looking!!

Steve

I've never seen one offered in the UK for any price, they are just too scarce here! I tried to get hold of one, some time ago, for stitching buckles onto straps, but our local sewing machine guy had never even heared of them! I then tried another machine dealer, who was sure he could find one; that was nearly 2 years ago, and as far as I know he's still looking!!

Steve

I just purchased a 97-10 and am going to pick it up on Tuesday. It is on the original power stand. No. 27 needles are still made for these machines. The only conversion needed for the 794 needle system is lowering the needle bar. Which will still sew 3/4 inch material. We will see how it does. Machine and stand weighs 650 lbs.

I just purchased a 97-10 and am going to pick it up on Tuesday. It is on the original power stand. No. 27 needles are still made for these machines. The only conversion needed for the 794 needle system is lowering the needle bar. Which will still sew 3/4 inch material. We will see how it does. Machine and stand weighs 650 lbs.

They're not light,are they?

Tony

They sure aren't. LOL

I am extremely jealous! As I said before, I have had no luck in tracking one down, here in the UK. I am begining to wonder if they were ever exported over here in the first place. If they were, it must have been in very small numbers.

Steve

Well it's not tuesday, but I got the machine today. Not really sure where to put it now. It's still in my little s-10 and the springs are hurting. One thing I will have to do is make a couple of feet. It has a double foot on it now and that will not work on halters. I am still in disbelieve that I got one. Any info. on parts, feet etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

Well it's not tuesday, but I got the machine today. Not really sure where to put it now. It's still in my little s-10 and the springs are hurting. One thing I will have to do is make a couple of feet. It has a double foot on it now and that will not work on halters. I am still in disbelieve that I got one. Any info. on parts, feet etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

You will find a Manual and a parts list for this machine, along with all the others in its class, at the following links:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/97-1_10.pdf

http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/97-1_10.pdf

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Thanks Steve!

As in DDS' posted pic, mine does not have the spacer, with the table, between the head and the stand. The stand height is 35 inches and the head is 22 3/4 inches from the bottom to the top of the flywheel. The guy also had a Singer 99 which was used to sew on tire tread caps years ago. lol

Thanks Steve!

As in DDS' posted pic, mine does not have the spacer, with the table, between the head and the stand. The stand height is 35 inches and the head is 22 3/4 inches from the bottom to the top of the flywheel. The guy also had a Singer 99 which was used to sew on tire tread caps years ago. lol

Oops.

The guy also had a Singer 98 which was used to sew on tire tread caps years ago.

Thanks Steve!

Ryan,

Either the table and spacer have been removed, at some point, or they were 'optional extras' that were never fitted, which is more likely. I should like to see a photo of your machine, sometime, if poss!

I'm afraid that the Singer 98 and 99 are two machines that I have never seen, and don't know for which job they were originally intended, but I would be very interested to find out!

Steve

Here it is sitting beside a 2 liter. Then again beside my friend Rod.

singer97_10.jpeg

2singer_97_10.jpeg

post-8022-1237150423_thumb.jpg

post-8022-1237150472_thumb.jpg

Edited by ryano

I am having trouble with it. Adjusting the stitch length does not seem to have an affect. There are pipe wrench marks on the horizontal shaft which is a big indicator of trouble. I'm going to have fun figuring this one out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here it is sitting beside a 2 liter. Then again beside my friend Rod.

Look's to be in pretty good condition, as far as I can make out from the photo. They certainly are hefty machines!

According to the manual, you need to loosen the nut on the regulator lever. But, I guess you have already tried that! The shaft may have become 'seized' somehow, if so, I'm afraid it will take someone with greater engineering knowledge than I to solve this!

Steve

One of the first things I am going to do is time the presser foot with the needle guide, which controls the stitch length. The only timing it seems to have is the stitch length cam. I hope the cam is not wore down too far. It doesn't really seem to be though. I need to locate an old Army repair manual for this machine. This one was dug out of an old Army depot. It was used to sew Army parachutes during WWII.

Edited by ryano

One of the first things I am going to do is time the presser foot with the needle guide, which controls the stitch length. The only timing it seems to have is the stitch length cam. I hope the cam is not wore down too far. It doesn't really seem to be though. I need to locate an old Army repair manual for this machine. This one was dug out of an old Army depot. It was used to sew Army parachutes during WWII.

Sound's good to me! Did you get the complete set of three pressers with the machine? As it seems you have to change the pressers if you change the stitch length. At least that's how I read it in the manual!

Steve

I sure didn't get the 3 pressers with it. The presser foot on the machine now is adjustable for and aft to compensate for the changing of the stitch length. One thing I did find is that when changed the stitch length to 4 spi the machine was really hard to turn over like it was binding somewhere. I took off the needle bar inspection plate to check for binding and the machine turned over super easy. The needle bar rocker frame is rubbing the inspection cover not allowing the feed to follow all the way through its sequence. That's as far as I have gotten so far. Thanks for your interest and feedback!

Hello: I have been reading your post about the 97-10. Just wanted to tell you that I have been using one since 1994. I have not found anything that it cant sew. Have used it to sew saddle bronc inside leathers( sole bend, high density polyethelen ,nylon webbing,and skirting leather all together) , single layer skirting ,and light headstalls. I use a 26 round point needle instead of the 27 chisle point. It seems to make a prettier stitch with the 26. The machine has been used to build 50+ saddles and hundreds of other items and the only thing I have ever done to it is keep it oiled. The one thing that I wish it had is a stirrup foot and plate. Well just wanted to let you know there is still at least one saddle maker that is still using the 97-10. Mike

I am going to machine a stirrup plate and foot for mine. I can also make you set if you like?