kwelna

Just Received My First Bundle Of Of Leather From Springfield

So I just ordered a couple of sides from Springfield leather (2\3 and 5\6) as i am about to attempt making a couple of messnger bags as well as fill a couple of orders for .22 mag holders. WOW! so far I am totally impresssed. They are very clean, smooth, very blond and have a very consistant thickness. Don't get me wrong, I like Tandy Leather and I think they provide great service and products especially to\for newbies such as myself. I will always patronize their establishments, But I have to tell you this leather is better than most everything i have seen at Tandy (in their lower grades of leather) and is competatively priced even including shipping. Plus I received the leather in less than a week (5 days). Super helpfull and super nice people that put up with my numerouse phone calls and questions. I was a bit nervouse buying leather on line, especiall since I could not see the individual peices and I had to rely on others to pick out my leather. For you newbies, all UI can say is give them a call and give it a try you will be happy you did. Will I still buy Tandy Leather? You bet. Especially if I need it "right now" But I wll also be buying from Springfiled on a regular basis as well. Thanks for the great customer service Springfield you now have another, "albeit small" loyal customer.

So I just ordered a couple of sides from Springfield leather (2\3 and 5\6) as i am about to attempt making a couple of messnger bags as well as fill a couple of orders for .22 mag holders. WOW! so far I am totally impresssed. They are very clean, smooth, very blond and have a very consistant thickness. Don't get me wrong, I like Tandy Leather and I think they provide great service and products especially to\for newbies such as myself. I will always patronize their establishments, But I have to tell you this leather is better than most everything i have seen at Tandy (in their lower grades of leather) and is competatively priced even including shipping. Plus I received the leather in less than a week (5 days). Super helpfull and super nice people that put up with my numerouse phone calls and questions. I was a bit nervouse buying leather on line, especiall since I could not see the individual peices and I had to rely on others to pick out my leather. For you newbies, all UI can say is give them a call and give it a try you will be happy you did. Will I still buy Tandy Leather? You bet. Especially if I need it "right now" But I wll also be buying from Springfiled on a regular basis as well. Thanks for the great customer service Springfield you now have another, "albeit small" loyal customer.

Hi, may I know which item is this from their web?

Hi, may I know which item is this from their web?

"Our Top Grade Tooling Sides are what most companies would call their #1's or premium...clean, white, and pretty doggone nice! These sides tool and finish very well.

Available in 2-3 oz., 3-4 oz., 4-5 oz., and 5-6 oz. (*Note: 2-3 oz. has a very soft hand and average 19-20 sf.). Item # 133-72123."

I bought a 2-3 and a 5\6 side. they are both quite big and Iowuld say are 95% usable. a few clip depressions on the very edge of the skin on both from tanning (This was expected) and one small hole on the 2\3. really impressed. also the 2\/3 is soft for being veg tanned even the belly parts of the sides look really good.

"Our Top Grade Tooling Sides are what most companies would call their #1's or premium...clean, white, and pretty doggone nice! These sides tool and finish very well.

Available in 2-3 oz., 3-4 oz., 4-5 oz., and 5-6 oz. (*Note: 2-3 oz. has a very soft hand and average 19-20 sf.). Item # 133-72123."

I bought a 2-3 and a 5\6 side. they are both quite big and Iowuld say are 95% usable. a few clip depressions on the very edge of the skin on both from tanning (This was expected) and one small hole on the 2\3. really impressed. also the 2\/3 is soft for being veg tanned even the belly parts of the sides look really good.

Thank you. I have bought this in 3/4 and 2/3 before. The 2/3 used to be offered in the drop down menu as 2/3 or 2/3 soft. I chose the 2/3 and received a side that was as soft as a piece of curtain cloth.

The 3/4 has a couple of 10-12" knife cuts, and much bumps/swirls and insect bites all over. Only managed to squeeze a bifold out of it and 3 card slots for a biker wallet. The rest of the biker wallet had to be made from other leather. I have used the remaining of the side for practising my swivel knife, lining my marble slab, trying out my sewing machine.

I was wondering if their double shoulders will be any better.

Thank you. I have bought this in 3/4 and 2/3 before. The 2/3 used to be offered in the drop down menu as 2/3 or 2/3 soft. I chose the 2/3 and received a side that was as soft as a piece of curtain cloth.

The 3/4 has a couple of 10-12" knife cuts, and much bumps/swirls and insect bites all over. Only managed to squeeze a bifold out of it and 3 card slots for a biker wallet. The rest of the biker wallet had to be made from other leather. I have used the remaining of the side for practising my swivel knife, lining my marble slab, trying out my sewing machine.

I was wondering if their double shoulders will be any better.

Wow, did you contact them to tell them of your dilemma? I am not a big time leather worker, just a hobbyist, so to put out $250 for unseen product was a big leap for me. I was ready for a fight and then the leather came and I was extremely happy. I do not go through that much leather in a year and I figured after a bit of calculating that buying the good stuff and having less waste ultimately made the more expensive leather cheaper or at least equal to the price of Tandy's regular grade leather. The nice thing about Tandy is that it is right here, no waiting and their leather is ok to pretty good, but sometimes ya gotta pick through the merchandise to find a good one. I still need a side of 8/9 or 9/10. But that can wait till the boss says OK. I will again go to Springfield and see how that turns out. Right now I have enough to make a couple of messenger bags (my own design) and learn from my mistakes. I also got it made in that a new shoe repair guy just openend up shop 4 blocksa from my housse so maybe I can get m him to do some machine stiching on parts of the bags.....especially the borders. We shall see.

Good takin with ya

Kevin

I did. But not directly. Nor asking for a refund or return.

I said the side has alot of scars, and I think I am better off buying the Royal Meadow. They ever said that they will honour the pricing I get from Tandy for my elite membership. So I asked if I can buy Royal Meadow through them at the same elite price, but there was no reply to that email.

<br />Thank you. I have bought this in 3/4 and 2/3 before. The 2/3 used to be offered in the drop down menu as 2/3 or 2/3 soft. I chose the 2/3 and received a side that was as soft as a piece of curtain cloth.<br /><br />The 3/4 has a couple of 10-12" knife cuts, and much bumps/swirls and insect bites all over. Only managed to squeeze a bifold out of it and 3 card slots for a biker wallet. The rest of the biker wallet had to be made from other leather. I have used the remaining of the side for practising my swivel knife, lining my marble slab, trying out my sewing machine.<br /><br />I was wondering if their double shoulders will be any better.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have a Tandy store about 30-minutes away & that's helpful. I also have A REAL leather shop about 20-minutes away where I can get leather & supplies. However, if I need something like a side of harness leather or English bridle, I order directly from Wickett & Craig. Wickets & Craig's Tannery Runs are inexpensive (even with shipping) and their grades up from there - unlike anything you can ever expect to get at Tandy (at least my local one) they are top quality. You will not be disappointed. Wickett & Craig has GREAT custom service and they'll split your leather down to whatever thickness you request and the flesh side will be razor cut smooth.

so Springfield or Wickett and Craig require a business number. I have encountered that before and as a total hobbyist, I would rather avoid those establishments

Springfield, acutally does not require a tax number. You can buy from them at retail prices, or pay $35 for a year membership and pay wholesale prices without going through tax issues.

I've had a lot of trouble dealing with Springfield compared to Tandy.

They have a great catalog and plenty of supplies but it's just too much of a hassle.

I'd rather support Springfield because they are a sponsor here but it isn't working out, I know many others here that don't have a problem dealing with them and are happy with the service.

Ive never had a problem with springfield that wasnt quickly remedied. They are always curteous and shipping is prompt. Ive had two issues with them total..one was a stitch groover that was drilled offcenter (not springfield's mistake) and once when i got a single shoulder that was a little too rough. Springfield sent me a new stitch groover and shoulder, no questions asked...anytime i start a a new adventure, they are always happy to answer any questions i have, send me sample materials, and even take care of some things like skiving down belt strips for me...This company is such a breath of fresh air, and i strive to model my own customer service after theirs...

I am no leather expert by any means, but I have always been able to pick out good leather at Springfield Leather for my use. I have bought from tandy, but I thought the customer service was not as good and the selection seemed to me, to not be as good. Since I have been using SL I will admit I have stopped looking other places for the most part. They are 3 hours drive from me and I usually by enough supplies for several months when I go. I have even gone there and purchased supplies and leather and the following week received a card in the mail, just thanking me for my buisiness. I have no problem paying extra for good service, but I do not think from the comparing I have done their prices are any higher. I know like any retail store a person can pick and choose and find an item cheaper here or there, but overall I have no reason the buy anywhere else. I can also say if any of you have a problem or question, they have always been more than happy to spend time on the phone or in the store, explaining something to me. I have dealt with them for several years and it is nice to be able to call and tell them I want a special order item and know they will get it in on my word only with out the hassle of a deposit or full payment like some places I deal with.

I would highly recommend them, once you have established a good cutomer relationship with them I think you will have a hard time finding someone better to work with.

Yea, the thing about SL is their customer service. I've only dealt with them once, but the woman I spoke to was so nice I'm sure I'll be back.

In this day and age where good customer service is pretty scarce, not to mention based in this country, it's nice to speak to someone for a change that seems genuinely nice and speaks a language I can understand.

I'm pretty much a novice and have only been a lurker on this site but I feel that I need to tell about my recent experience with Springfield Leather. I have been reading on this site and learning, practicing with scraps given to me by a local saddlemaker and small lots that I have bought but I finally decided to place a fairly large order of leather and new tools to replace my older ones. I had 3 lists of items that I wanted to order........one from Springfield, one from Tandy and one from Weaver. I called Springfield first and the customer service rep that I talked with was so nice and so helpful that I ended up placing the entire order from them. She spent a long time educating me one several items and was not really trying to sell to me as much as she was trying to help me. I ordered 3 separate hides and I am very pleased with all of them! All were very clean and firm and I'm judging that they were all 95%+ usable. I have seen many hides at my friend the saddlemaker's shop and these were better than I'm used to seeing at his place. I guess the bottom line is Springfield Leather has gained a loyal customer as long as their products and customer service remains as good as they have shown me! BTW, Thanks to everyone for so helpful to new guys on this forum........like me!!!!

I have purchased from Zach Whites' Leather and Tandy, for the last few months Tandy has become really bad here in Charlotte, NC. Skitring is substandard and a lot of hides seem to be less than what is listed (8/9) is about the same as a (5/6). I had to get hold of their middle management to get word that their leather is substandard, he helped but not sure that the store will house better stock in the future! Zach had a good hide but it was pricey but loads better than Tandy. I am afraid to order leather items I can't see for fear of getting the stores refuse. I have talked to WC but not ordered yet, SL is now on my list to contact!

I have bought their best Hermann Oak sides and shoulders, I always ask for very clean, and that has been what I have received. I am very happy with Springfield leather.