TrustCommunicationConsent

Leather Splitter For Whip Makers

Looking for any info I can get for smaller scale leather spliters. I have heard that the splitters (such as the Osbone's) aer not great for splitting thin leather such as kangaroo. any one seen mabe a home made one that uses a replacable blade such as a single edged razor blade? I never split anything wider that about 1/2" so splitter with 6' wide blades are not great for me. Also I suspect a smaller cutting angle might be better for this thin of material.

Many thanks for any help you might have to offer.

Perhaps you are thinking of something like a Scharf-fix 2000.

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=17482

Ed

Looking for any info I can get for smaller scale leather spliters. I have heard that the splitters (such as the Osbone's) aer not great for splitting thin leather such as kangaroo. any one seen mabe a home made one that uses a replacable blade such as a single edged razor blade? I never split anything wider that about 1/2" so splitter with 6' wide blades are not great for me. Also I suspect a smaller cutting angle might be better for this thin of material.

Here's one on ebay right now that will do everything you mentioned. They work pretty good. I have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item35a6e4b6a1

I've got the one that Pepelimoco is talking about. It is made by White Buff of this forum. They are awesome. I used to hate splitting, now I love it and try to split everything I can. The rest of the tool works great too. It's the best string cutter I've got... I think I have 3 other types. The beveling on it is as much a piece of cake as the splitting is.

I don't make whips myself but I am betting you will really like that tool.

I've got the one that Pepelimoco is talking about. It is made by White Buff of this forum. They are awesome. I used to hate splitting, now I love it and try to split everything I can. The rest of the tool works great too. It's the best string cutter I've got... I think I have 3 other types. The beveling on it is as much a piece of cake as the splitting is.

I don't make whips myself but I am betting you will really like that tool.

WOW, I looked at both and they both are great sugestions. The one made by White Bluff; how do you control the depth that you are splitting the strings? Also what type of blade does it use?

Contact Paul at www.midwestwhips.com about a splitter. I think they are less than $120 + shipping. They are mad especifically for whipmaking. I understand they are made in Australia by a whipmaker. He also sells a wonderful lace cutter that I am going to get as soon as I have a little extrra to spend.

Contact Paul at www.midwestwhips.com about a splitter. I think they are less than $120 + shipping. They are mad especifically for whipmaking. I understand they are made in Australia by a whipmaker. He also sells a wonderful lace cutter that I am going to get as soon as I have a little extrra to spend.

Thats the Dene Williams strander and splitter.........

contact details below I think they are only around $90.00AU if you buy direct

email:-denewhips at icr.com.au

Phone 07 4630 9708

email:-denewhips@icr.com.au

Phone 07 4630 9708

Thank you very much, I wrote to him and will get one of each if that is true.

I for one would like to know what you decide adn which splitter you get. All the info about how you like it and all. I am in the parket but just have not done anything about it yet.

I for one would like to know what you decide adn which splitter you get. All the info about how you like it and all. I am in the parket but just have not done anything about it yet.

I descided to try the splitter and cutter from Dene Williams, Partly because of the price and partly because I have and use the origional AU strander and the new one sounds like a good idea. I will post about how I like it after I get it (should be on its way as I type) and gibe it a few trys.

I've got both the splitter and strander from Dene. The splitter is constantly at my side. I use it with every string I cut. I've split 7/8 straps up to 1" wide. I have no doubt I could split heavier leather, as long as I don't rush it and trim a bit at a time. I use the strander on occasion and I think I have a better time with it that his dad's strander (the original au strander). Both the splitter and the strander use blades that are readily available - as in cheap!

I've got both the splitter and strander from Dene. The splitter is constantly at my side. I use it with every string I cut. I've split 7/8 straps up to 1" wide. I have no doubt I could split heavier leather, as long as I don't rush it and trim a bit at a time. I use the strander on occasion and I think I have a better time with it that his dad's strander (the original au strander). Both the splitter and the strander use blades that are readily available - as in cheap!

That was exectly the question I asked him and liked the answer. I like the idea of being able to set 2 sizes to get the taper from the get-go. I am interested in seeing if I need to bevle the edges after I have the splitter seems to me it might be unessary with very thin leather but I will find out in due time

I am loving the splitter, the only change I would like to see is the ability to lock the hand grip in the closed poosition so I could put it in a vicew when splitting down long strings. (this tool taught me that brand new stanly utility knife blades, need to be sharpened before they are used).

I have tried a couple of projects without beveling the edges and it seems to be working very well (only trid this with kangroo hide as cow is probably not strong enough; with the kangaroo I have taken the thickness down to 1/64th inch without breaking the laces while braiding.

Like the new style lace cutter but have not yet tried making a set of tapered strings to avoid having to drop strings as I braid. I will gve that a try in a month or so after I am more fimuliar with the cutter.

Mike

email:-denewhips at icr.com.au

Phone 07 4630 9708

With Midwest being out of stock & double the price - I'm thinking about contacting Dene directly, anyone know if this information is still good? Does he have a website / email address these days?