engtrk

Help! Fibers In My Finish

OK I need some help. I have just completed a helmet shield for a customer. I used tan kote for the finish as usual. The problem is that I have all sorts of fibers that dried in the finish that I didn't notice when it was still wet. I suspect this is because I used a wool dauber. I have always used a small sponge and for some reason I decided to use the dauber this time.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there anyway I can fix this without starting over? I am not giving this shield to the customer like it is so I need to either fix it or start over. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

OK I know I haven't had any replies, however I think I have found a solution. I thought about sanding off the finish (and the fibers along with it) but I was thinking that sand paper may be too harsh for the Brian of the leather. So I tried one of the those green scotch brite pads for cleaning dishes. It worked great! I ad to touch up some of the dye, and paint as well. Re-finish ( with a sponge) and it is good as new. I just wanted to post this for anyone else in the future that may come across this problem

I think Tan-Kote will come off with water, or at least alcohol, so that would be a good way in the future.

I'm betting you didn't burn down your dauber before you used it. Light it on fire and when it's done, dust off all the charcoal. That will give you a tight little ball to work with that won't leave hairs everywhere.

I had a disaster like this once using some wool scraps to finish. I thought I had trimmed it well, but I ended up with TONS of those fibers all over in my lacquer. It was my first big order and I was extremely frustrated. This was Friday and I had just told the customer I'd have it ready to ship by Monday. Well, no go on that version because, like you, I wasn't sending it to him like that. I started the entire project from scratch and finished Sunday night. Lesson learned real quick on how trimmed is trimmed, as well as WHEN to tell customers it's going to be ready ;)

It should come off by wetting it with a damp clean rag.

You found the answer. I read your first post and was going to answer "scotch brite". Then I read your second post and you got it.

Thanks cyberthrasher. I have never heard of burning them down. Learn something new every day. I will try this in the future