DoubleC

Can I Use Saddle Soap As A Finish?

I'm working on a distressed strap and I went in to saddle soap it and wipe it off, and when I got back I rubbed it down with a t-shirt. I was just doing this to get all the particles off of it, but I just really love the mellow look polishing the strap gave it. It really looks like it's aged and worn at this point rather than intentionally distressed. I'm thinking of putting another coat of saddle soap on it, polish it again and just add my overlay on that. Will it be enough protection? It's going to have foam and calfskin on the back. Thanks guys. Cheryl

Cheryl, it's only advertised as a cleaner / lubricator , more of an enhancement vs a treatment.

To answer your question I would say no but to get the best answer contact the manufacturer.

I've only used it on a finished product myself.

Yeah I know Kev, I read it all over to find out and no where does it mention finish. I'll use leather sheen on it in really light coats and buff it in between coats. Thanks for answering, just wanted to hear someone else say it if that makes any sense......Cheryl

They have an 800 number.

http://www.fiebing.com/Contact.aspx

I just learned that you should use a damp cloth when applying saddle soap to produce a lather, who reads directions. :rolleyes2:

I use a sponge :-) If something is dirty adding a little water does so help the process. But then again I'm not sure I did that from the directions head_hurts_kr.gifYou're right, who reads those?

CC:

Depending on the guitarist...... there's gonna be sweat. You'll want something like your sheen to protect from that. You can dye through saddle soap so basically it would be the same as fresh veg tan.

With my distressed strap, I dyed then sanded the wrinkles you saw... then re-oiled... allowed that to dry... then put resolene on it when that was dry, I re-sanded lightly.

True, I never thought about the sweat....I can't imagine that they won't all sweat at some point. Man did I enjoy distressing these straps, I whacked the bejeebers out of our tree, and walked on the big one in the parking lot. I almot beat the smaller one to death though, not because of doing it too long, or anything. Did it like the big strap, but being more narrow I guess it went faster and hit harder. It was you doing yours that made me think of it. I did just dye it again, odd that you should say that, and now working on the horse overlays I'm going to do in elk. I'll do it in resolene once the overlays are on, and it it's too shine, sand it some. Thanks Syl.

True, I never thought about the sweat....I can't imagine that they won't all sweat at some point. Man did I enjoy distressing these straps, I whacked the bejeebers out of our tree, and walked on the big one in the parking lot. I almot beat the smaller one to death though, not because of doing it too long, or anything. Did it like the big strap, but being more narrow I guess it went faster and hit harder. It was you doing yours that made me think of it. I did just dye it again, odd that you should say that, and now working on the horse overlays I'm going to do in elk. I'll do it in resolene once the overlays are on, and it it's too shine, sand it some. Thanks Syl.

Yw... the resolene can be thinned up by 20% (8 parts reso, 2 parts water) that will help control the shine a little.

Don't forget to role your leather to the skin side to get the wrinkles. ;)

And of course I did forget. The small strap did just fine wrinkling, LOL but need to do that to the big strap. Thanks, Syl.