Tanthathide9

8Ft Bullwhip

Technicaly my 2nd complete project. I worked backwards from the cracker end to the handle. The ranch hand who made whips for my grandpa did it that way so I figured why not. Only difference is he started out with 4 strands then split them from to 8 etc. He finished at the handle with a back braid. I however started with 4 strands braided around the other 8 strands I would use and add 2 strands every1.5 foot or so. I finished with a back braid at the top as well. It was definitely a learning curve nxt attempt I would start from handle down and just drop the strands into the core instead of adding from the core. I had a strand break on me around the 6 strand braid somewhere and I got screwed up somewhere on the back braid. However its a functional piece it didnt fall apart and im happy with it. Learn with time so itll only get better. Thanks for looking and all opinions are welcome.

post-23761-0-28096800-1429625759_thumb.j

post-23761-0-55923600-1429625838_thumb.j

Looks good

That'll work, keep at it.

Very cool! I used instructables to build my first, based on some helpful paracord braiders ... haven't had any luck learning from books - just not my style.

Do you have a core in there too? Did you use the bolster method (the strip of leather just wrapped once along the inner part of core)?

I actually started from the end and worked back towards the handle. Started with 4 strands and the rest of my strands I used in the core for about 2.5 ft then I had some sash cord 3/8 in diameter for another 2.5. The sash was attached to the handle which was cover 2 ft from the handle in an 8braid just like in bruce grants book. Once I got to the base of the handle I had to improvise with a back braid cause along the way from my 8 to 10 transition I busted a strand so it went from 8 to 12 and yeah...I hope this made sense let me know if I can clarify. It was my first attempt

It does somewhat, but brings up a new question ... when you say you back braided it - I'm guessing you mean when replacing the strand.

Versus; that you worked up the core to the handle, then worked down from the handle to cover the core?