KandB

Different Types Of Metal For Leatherwork Hardware - Quality And Benefits?

Hi Everyone,

I've been hunting all over the internet but I'm not finding any solid guides on what type of metal alloy is best for leather work. Obviously different applications will have different preferred metals, but if anyone can clarify the difference (aside from the obvious finish & colour) between these metals, I'd really appreciate it:

Solid Brass

Chrome Over Brass

Nickel Over Brass

Stainless Steel

Steel

Zinc Die Cast

Zinc Plated

Iron

Nickel Plated

Chrome Plated

Copper Plated

I want to be able to understand which are the best quality in terms of construction, durability, rust/wear, etc.

Thanks!

I've always known that Solid Brass as the popular choice when working with leather....especially high quality work where rust in not acceptable.

Some customers prefer Stainless Steel because it will resist any chemical reaction to the acids in the leather....where sometime Brass will show a patina at the point of contact with leather.

After looking at your web site, I could see that the your accessories will be or should be made from a zinc cast....which is perfectly fine for any leather use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim

I like solid metal. No plating to wear off. Looks like you offer a lifetime warranty, if I were you I'd be using atuff that will last, zinc stuff is typically cheaper, for a reason. It would suck to have to warranty something for a cheap buckle that pitted and the plating pealed. Just my thoughts and what I do whenever I can.

I agree with J Hayes regarding Zinc cast with plate.....there is that chance of peeling. Only you can decide and the "cost" factor may help with that choice.

"Cost"is far more than just the price of something. An inexpensive piece of hardware can save you money on the front end yet cost you a customer or a reputation down the road when it fails, negating the buck or two saved up front. If its worth doing do it well, and use parts that you would use on your personal bag, holster, notebook cover, etc. The only problem with solid hardware is the limited styles it comes in, there are far more and fancier styles in the cast zinc and plated. Just my .02 definitely not trying to step on any toes.

Edited by J Hayes

Thanks everyone -

I appreciate the suggestions on what to choose, but in order to make an informed decision I want to know what each one of those actually means, and they're likely hood of breaking, rusting, etc.

I always hear that solid brass is the best. I thought Nickel Plated Brass wasn't a problem, but watching a video by Saddleback, he didn't have nice things to say about nickel plating so I'm unsure now.

I want to offer the best quality hardware to my customers because, as you all noticed, we offer a lifetime guarantee and we want to minimize any repairs.

Part of the question is what aesthetic do you like? I personally prefer solid brass because there's no plating or coating to wear off. Solid brass nowadays usually has a clear coating put on the, so they don't oxidize as easily. This coating will probably wear out after years of use and there will be some patina on the brass.

Plated brass means just that. Solid brass inside, chrome or nickel plating on the outside. Plating is usually pretty solid and should not wear off but who knows what might happen after years of use. The difference between nickel and chrome is probably more of an aesthetic choice.

Stainless steel is probably the strongest of all the materials. I'm not sure if stainless can be plated so you might be limited to the color choice.

Steel is just that, steel but not stainless. Usually it will be plated for aesthetics and rust resistance. Steel by itself will rust over time. Chrome or nickel plating will help prevent that and will look good. Steel is very strong as well.

Zinc, cast zinc, and plated zinc is usually the cheaper stuff. Zinc is an inexpensive material. Not as strong as the other two above. When plated you may not be able to tell the difference unless you held them and felt the weight. This is usually what the cheap hardware is made of.

Thighs that just say "plated" usually mean nickel of chrome plating over zinc. I've heard of plated plastic but I would assume no one uses those for leatherwork.

Andrew