kenny

Making a cutting table

Hey all,

Im looking at making myself a cutting table but im a bit unsure what i should be using on the top to prevent blunting my knives.

Any suggestions? Should i just get some standard rubber matting or is there something special i need to use?

Thanks!

The best material to use for your cutting area is HDPE plastic. It's the same plastic that white plastic cutting boards are made of.

It does not dull or grab the cutting edge of your knifes like rubber matt or wood.

I just go to Walmart or similar, and buy myself the biggest white cutting board they have. They last a long time, and when they get scarred up, you just flip em over and use the other side.

You can also find sources of large HDPE sheets online, if you want a really big piece of it.

Hope this helps.

Hilly

This is a good place to get them from in a size that fit your needs...

http://thecuttingboardfactory.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=3WS

Has anybody used formica?

I used a recycled product that is HDPE but is recycled and is about 1/2 the price. I bought 4 x10 foot sheets from a manufacturer in Missouri called Coons Manufacturing. don't know where else to get it.

I have built counter tops for several years and I wouldn't want to use Formica or other laminates for a cutting surface. Once you cut on Formica, the surface gets scored and will cause your knife to wander when trying to cut your leather. However, laminate scraps make excellent layout patterns. Not too hard to make and don't change sizes after you've traced around them several times.

I would not use Formica unless all your cutting tools are are made from carbide

it will destroy the edge on the first cut

I've been using arena board. It's a 4x8 sheet of white stuff that's hard doesn't wreck your knife.

it's 1/4 inch thick, it's cheap to buy, I got a new sheet the other day from the building supply store for 90 dollars. It's hard enough your knife doesn't dig into it, or drag up.

The other name for it Puck board.

The down side with using any plastic surfaces, once it's covered with cut lines from your knife and then you get it dirty, the dirt in the cracks will dull your knife.

So wash your table once in awhile and sharpen your knife.... :whatdoyouthink: