bones59

Stitching With A Pony

Hi everyone,

This my first question here.

How do you stitch somthing in a pony that is not flat, like a knife case? Do you just crush it flat? Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm new to this.

Thank you, Tim

I would work off the bench surface or my lap, depending on exactly what it is. Bypass the pony.

Aaron

I would work off the bench surface or my lap, depending on exactly what it is. Bypass the pony.

Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks for the reply. So, the pony only works for stitching flat pieces? Please keep the coments coming.

Not entirely. It depends on the pony. If you have a small pony like one of the under the leg models then yes, you can only stitch flat pieces with it. If you have a larger pony then things will be different.

In the best case scenario you'll have a form for whatever it is that you're making. You would then put the piece, form and all, into the pony and stitch it all together and remove the form later. If you don't have a large pony or a nice wide jaw stitching clam then I would do as Aaron suggests. Sometimes you just have to improvise.

FWIW from the old grump: I don't use a stitching pony or horse - at all. Not to say I don't have one (or more) I just got used to stitching sitting around in a comfortable location, damned near anywhere I want. I stitch my holsters when flat, even wet 'em down and smoosh 'em flat prior to stitching - then sog 'em down again when done, and go to molding. Mike

I gotta say, I'm just impressed beyond description. I had a hard enough time teaching the dang beast to take a bit, and breaking it to a saddle....and y'all done trained 'em to hold leather for you!!!!

I gotta say, I'm just impressed beyond description. I had a hard enough time teaching the dang beast to take a bit, and breaking it to a saddle....and y'all done trained 'em to hold leather for you!!!!

Well TO, it was a rough way to go, but had to stop with either one because the pony was mean and chewed the leather - the horse just slobbered too much and stained my work. Mike

Hellfire is right on point, if you have a form made for the case it all goes in the horse or pony, unless the item is too large for the jaws. I built my horse for about $50.

I made a stitching pony before I'd even stitched a single piece... After a couple of practices, it has stayed where I put it since. I just find the majority of pieces are just too awkward for it to be used. I tend to stitch either on a comfortable sofa or at the kitchen worktop.

Awkward in shape or thickness? BTW where in Scotland are you? my family is all from Aberdeen.

Awkward in shape or thickness? BTW where in Scotland are you? my family is all from Aberdeen.

Awkward in shape mostly... I find working at a bench easier.

We're just north of Edinburgh. Aberdeen is about a 2 hour drive further north.

Rangers or Celtics? Just wondering not trying to start anything. On my way from the train station to the castle I was cursed at and flipped off for wearing a training jacket of one of the two teams, forgot all about the rivalry :head_hurts_kr:

Rangers or Celtics? Just wondering not trying to start anything. On my way from the train station to the castle I was cursed at and flipped off for wearing a training jacket of one of the two teams, forgot all about the rivalry :head_hurts_kr:

Neither really. (And it's 'Celtic', not 'Celtics' ;) You Americanos have Celtics lol

I abhor the sectarian hate involved with the Rangers/Celtic thing... And anyway, the lack of skill shown on the average Scottish football field doesn't make me watch it :D

I'm more of a Rugby fan, wear the reversable team jacket regulary, bought it in Ayr in 2006 I think? Then a Scotland Rugby 3/4 length(I'm assuming it's something they may wear on the sideline) in 2008.

Rugby is much more of a mans' game ;) :D

Makes much better viewing than the overpaid thesbians they call football (soccer) players.

Football is a Gentleman's game played by Hooligans and Rugby is a Hooligans game played by Gentleman

Then I guess the question is Union or Football?

Football is a Gentleman's game played by Hooligans and Rugby is a Hooligans game played by Gentleman

Then I guess the question is Union or Football?

Aah, we have Rugby Football Union (RFU) or Rugby league football (A bit confusing), but one has 15 players, the other having 13. League is a bit faster-paced, having slightly different rules and scoring.

For me? Union... Probably because I played it for my high school.

I'm a Union guy too, I played hooker for three years. My buddies dont like the Union(we watched some while deployed) they kept asking "when does the other team get the ball" I said "when they take it from the other team".