Sign in to follow this  
wes

Need to make a holster

Hello.

I am new to leather work and will need some coaching.

I have a acquired a classic pistol (Beretta 951) and need a moulded shoulder holster for it. None are offered by any holster manufacturers. So, I decided to create it myself.

The image below is what I want to create. What do you think are my chances of success?

Alessi_holster.jpg

post-163-1156646070_thumb.jpg

Wes,

Your chances are 100 percent of being successful if you get a copy of the large format book by Al Stohlman named " How to make Holsters".... ( and study it ) Available from Amazon, Ebay, Tandy and most other leathercraft suppliers.. about $12 US....

It has many actual patterns...but more importantly teaches you how to do your own measuring and pattern making .... A shoulder holster is pretty critical as to construction if it is to be comfortable....( and the gun accessible fast ).... so take your time during fitting and be sure to wear the same clothes you will be wearing it with ... If you are in a business where you will be wearing it a lot you may want to have your tailor make a jacket taking into account the space needed for the holster and gun...

While it probably won't be mentioned in the book.... if you make your harness half again as wide as normal and then use the cheap skiver which utilizes injectable razor blades... the one made from sheet metal bent over... you can easily taper the thickness down to nothing at the edges... which will help keep the harness from being as visible under your clothes... Greg

Hey Wes,

Welcome to the board!

I was reading your other post regarding making this holter, and I have no doubt you will be 100% successful.

If you can you should take lots of photographs during this project, and let us see how it is coming along. I for one would be interested in seeing it.

And defiantly post some photos of the finished holster.

Again... Welcome to the board

Thank you gentlemen for the welcome. I am very glad to see that this board is active and full of users who are able to advise me on my project.

I do plan to bore you with photos of my project and finished project. I just hope that I do not make myself into a plague to you.