DavidL

Need Advice On Oiled Leather

Roden leather has the type of leather I am looking for http://www.rodenleather.com/avalon/avalon.html.

They are expensive at 13 dollars a square foot, but is exactly what I'm looking for. Stitches great, has a good flesh side and good colour. Does anyone else know of any type of upholstery leather or oiled leather that has these characteristics at say 7-9 dollars. 2/3 or 3/4oz.

I regularly buy nice upholstery hides at Tandy from their oddlots selection. Sometimes as cheap as $ 2-3 a ft. It is hit and miss, but if you can get in to a store now and then, they have some really nice hides from time to time. Gump.

Waterhouse Leather is my favorite source for upholstery leather. The quality of the hides I have received from them has been outstanding, price is very competitive and Peter is a real pleasure to do business with. Have also purchased some outstanding waxy bridle leather and latigo from them.

I second waterhouse. I usually only use veg tan, but I just today ordered some "brown pull-up double shoulder" that looks real nice for $5.60/sq ft. according to the website they'll skive it for free, so I asked them to thin it from 5oz to 3oz. We'll see how it is!