mrtreat32

Horse Butt Strips Chromexcel / Horse Front

Was thinking about trying out some horse butt strips or fronts for some small projects.

I was wondering if anyone knows who sells this type of leather besides Maverick. When I do a google search I get results for Brettuns also but do not see it for sale on their site.

I would purchase from Maverick but Im checking my options first since it all seems to be about 5-7oz or heavier. Maybe a distributor that can split it for me as well since I will be using it for wallets and other similar projects I would prefer a lighter weight. Also interested in hearing about anyone experience with this type of leather who has used it. Seems like maybe you get some of the nice qualities of Cordovan without the hefty price.

UP to the post.
Want to do almost the same- but split down is a problem (

springfield use to have them but have not scene them on there lately. Mavericks is about the same price. 

I  didnt care for the chromexal butts as they tended to split very easily when trying to get it to bend. The standard vegtan ones are pretty nice, still require care in molding but you can actually do it with the straight vegtan. The straight veg ones I like because they show nice "character" with use, edges polish up easily, and its a dense tough leather. It is a pain to evenly dye and the thickness can vary quiet a bit. 

The chromexel is nowhere near cordovan just in case anyone has any misconception as far as the "butts" go although you will see people list them as upper cordovan. 

Ive got a wallet prototype that I made for myself out of the veg horse. Looks good just gonna take a long time to break in and will last my lifetime. 

The comparison between Cordovan and HF or butt strips stops after the fact that they all come from a horse. Ive used heavyweight veg tanned butt strips and really like working with it. I absolutely love working with Horween's Dublin Horse Fronts in the 3/4 ounce weight. At that weight I make most of my card cases and one of my wallets. I hand sew most of my smaller items and the Dublin HF is easy to sew, easy to finish the edges, looks great, smells amazing and patinas well. I work with many different leathers (H.O., W&C, Horween, Thoroughbred) and the occasional hides I pick up at auctions, but the Dublin HF from Horween is my favorite leather to work with.

I have not tried any of those horse fronts yet, what is the overall temper on them, they look like a nice weight but wasn't sure of the temper and mold ability.

Maverick usually has several chromexcel SHF and DHF available in 2-3oz. Sometimes they even have Dublin horse. Just give them a call and see what they have. They website isn't always up to date.

Edited by grmnsplx

I tried the horse front for wallets. My problem is , if they don't like the color there is nothing you can do about it. I personally don't like it. There is nothing wrong with the leather, I just don't like the color or texture, I felt I should of got the veg tan instead. The folks at Maverick were great.

Jim

I have gotten the strips from both Maverick and SLC. The Mavericks were a little cheaper and nicer looking. Splitting is a real chore. Make something in the weight it comes in is my advice.

Be careful hand sewing. I had problems with the stitches burying in the leather compared to how veg tan tensions down.

It did burnish well.