Wishful

Garage Sale Find

Found this old tin box at a garage sale. Guy wanted $10 at first but I got it for $5. Only 1 old stamp in it but lots of snaps and misc stuff. Never saw this before but thought it would be fun to have.

post-20642-0-10440800-1359848825_thumb.j

post-20642-0-76252000-1359848861_thumb.j

post-20642-0-96531000-1359848869_thumb.j

The P-38 and those rivet setters are worth the $5 bucks! Nice find!

Wow that's great! I never find stuff like that :bawling:

That's some real deja vu - I had one of those as a kid when I first started doing leather work.

Neat find.

JJ

cool thing is it is already full of stuff.

Wow that's great! I never find stuff like that :bawling:

Me either. Kinda pisses me off... Nice find OP!

That is Verrrry Cool! I want one...

I see there was one for sale at ebay for $50.00 - it didn't sell...

and one at etsy for $15.00 that did...

"Me either. Kinda pisses me off... Nice find OP!" - Guess you need to go to more yard sales!" Actaully I have found several good finds over the last year or two. Keep trying!

I see there was one for sale at ebay for $50.00 - it didn't sell...and one at etsy for $15.00 that did...That is Verrrry Cool! I want one..." I could be persuaded.... :)

Edited by Wishful

Wishful, you are correct! What I REALLY like is estate sales. The stuff seems to be better quality, but the crowds are insane around here. Can't wait til summer :)

.....estate sale....crowds are insane

I think that sums it up better.

I still have mine setting on another wooden chest I made about 45 years ago. I would have bought that little metal drawer cabinet about 1953 or '54.

Wonder what I paid for it. Hadn't opened it for a long time. One drawer has some mirrors in it as well as the good tough plastic we used for ID card windows. They are still clear as a crystal. Guess I need to use some of them.

ferg

Bunch of lucky folks around this site. No leatherworkers in my area and doubt if I would ever find leather related. I have nearly everything i need but I could never pass up a junk box when found. My problem has always been, "everything is neat", and spent many years dragging worthless goodies home. Still, must be the thrill of the search, or some other funky reason.

Do enjoy reading of finds on the site. Sets me off into a dreamlike mood, thinking about those great discoveries.

Ray

Hello Ray,

Don't take me wrong. I have a major amount someone else's junk in the house. I have been garage saling for years and I'd hate to guess how many I've been to that were a waste of time. My leatherwork finds are very few compared to how many sales I've been too. But I have always been a `Collector of collections', so I am looking for a lot of different other things too. I missed out on a major leatherwork find last summer because I wasn't an early bird.

I visit flea markets, estate sales, and junk shops constantly. Over the years I have found some amazing tools and all sorts of wonderful hardware. Its really nice to use old fittings for a project and make things with tools that have been in use for many decades. The bonus is that these things can be purchased very cheaply too. Anyone repairing or making shoes can find some really nice implements that are no longer made and very handy. It is a bit frustrating to find some neat old tools that I can't identify.

Will

Love auctions-estate- garage sales. Best deal not to long ago was a beautiful stitching horse for 40.00 have used it several times already. and an Osborne 86 for 125.00 tickled pink to get both. Older gentleman that used to do leatherwork and selling everything off. Don't run across really good deals often but I keep looking. LOL now if just had the skills others have on this site. I know practice- practice.