MsMaggie

Purchased Used Juki Lu-152 Questions On Bobbin

Hello all,

I ended up purchasing the Juki LU-152 and found an Instruction Manual free to downlaod, however the images are not clear (probably a copy of a copy). The machine was delivered yesterday and ready to go. The delivery guy threaded it for me (gave me some tools, extra needles, etc.) and gave me a quick how-to which I recorded on my husband's cell phone. I had him so some of my leather, change the stitch size and the speed. It was all good.

Then, the next day, I decided to thread the machine to get familiar with the procedure, however, I didn't take his thread out until I fully completed putting mine in following his pattern. It was when I was trying to remember how to lift the "foot" (and needle) to place the leather underneath. I thought I had to turn the wheel towards me and when that didn't work then I hit the knee press plate. I placed the leather underneath, let go of the press plate and pressed the foot pedal. The needle went up and down really fast like she was ready but the leather stayed in place. I tried this a few times, then removed the leather, and looked to see if that center mechanism under the "foot dog" with the ridges moved. It moved forward and back a little and stopped (maybe got stuck) I turned it with the wheel and it moved but then got stuck. I opened the bobbin lid and saw some tangled threads (from the needle-white and the bobbin-black).They were tangled. I took it out and when I went to put the bobbin back, I realized I don't have a bobbin case. I think this machine has it built in?? Anyway, the bobbin fits perfectly with no wiggle room, but now the needle won't catch the bobbin thread. I'm not even sure at this point if I'm doing it correct.

I spent hours online looking for video's on You Tube and had everyone show me how to thread their machine but I can't find this model being threaded or having a bobbin inserted and catching the bobbin thread. I even tried that safety clutch button thinking maybe that's stuck and when I pressed it (the right one) and turned the wheel toward me, I never heard a click or "clunk". I turned the wheel 100 times to be sure. Nada.

Does this sound familiar? Are there a few things going on here? Can anyone be of assistance? I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem on this forum, so I hope I'm not driving anyone nuts with this same problem. I tried doing a search before I wrote this and nothing came up.

Thanks,

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Step one: Take a few deap breaths.

Getting used to an industrial takes time and I often suggest people start without the machine threaded just to get used to controlling the speed.

Things to look at:

Stitch length lever - where is it set?

Really silly but common problem - is the thread actually running between the top tension plates or have you accidently slipped it behind?

Threading - through the tension, over the spring under the bar to the left of the tension, up to the take up leaver then down through the thread guides to the needle. Needle threads left to right.

As you saw the machine working then it is almost a basic threading issue.

Maggie,

You need to double check the model # of your machine,I think you have a LU562?When you reset the clutch you push the button on the rightside down & turn the handwheel backwards.Also when you go to sew you need to make sure the bobbin thread is above the needle plate & pulled to the back & hold the needle thread when you start sewing for the first 3-stitches(to prevent looping underneath)

If the machine is a Juki LU-562 or 563, send a PM and I'll send a .pdf of the manual that seems quite readable to me.

Hi Maggie,

Step one: Take a few deap breaths.

Getting used to an industrial takes time and I often suggest people start without the machine threaded just to get used to controlling the speed.

Things to look at:

Stitch length lever - where is it set?

Really silly but common problem - is the thread actually running between the top tension plates or have you accidently slipped it behind?

Threading - through the tension, over the spring under the bar to the left of the tension, up to the take up leaver then down through the thread guides to the needle. Needle threads left to right.

As you saw the machine working then it is almost a basic threading issue.

To Anne Bonnys Locker: I started with the stitch at 32 but then noticed (after I read this) that I didn't have a number in the viewer. I think moving the wheel (and probably the wrong way) changed the stitch #. ( :oops: ). I also did the silly thing you asked and pulled the thread back so it wasn't at the tension plate. I'll give it another try. Thanks!

Edited by MsMaggie

If the machine is a Juki LU-562 or 563, send a PM and I'll send a .pdf of the manual that seems quite readable to me.

Hi Tejas,

I can read the manual, I can't see the photographs/diagrams well. They are faded. What is a PM?

Maggie,

You need to double check the model # of your machine,I think you have a LU562?When you reset the clutch you push the button on the rightside down & turn the handwheel backwards.Also when you go to sew you need to make sure the bobbin thread is above the needle plate & pulled to the back & hold the needle thread when you start sewing for the first 3-stitches(to prevent looping underneath)

Hi Cowboy Bob,

Thanks for letting me know to turn the way backwards. I was turning it forwards (woke up with my thumb muscle sore from trying all night :whistle: LOL) :dunno: I will try again. I think I have to really get that bobbin thread going.

Does the Juki LU-152 not need a bobbin case? When I slid open the latch and popped up the vertical metal stick to remove the bobbin it wasn't encased. I was wondering if perhaps this model doesn't need one since it falls into it's own "case"?

Thanks,

Maggie

Edited by MsMaggie

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy. I got it! :rofl:

Thank you all for your advice! I put the thread on the plates so the needle can bring it up (it got caught at first and the white thread wrapped around the bobbin so I took out the thread and re-did it). Also - I had been turning the wheel towards me the whole time and then I turned it the opposite way (like Cowboy Bob said) and it worked!! I'm so exicted!! Now I have to pay attention to the stitch # and everything else.

You are all the best!! :banana:

Edited by MsMaggie

A PM is a private message. However, no longer necessary.

http://www.keysew.co...n_Keyfooter.pdf

OMG!! :clapping: Thank you sooooo much!!

Maggie

Actually, kudos should really go to member Gregg From Keystone who I think I recall originally posted this on another forum.

Thank you Gregg from Keystone!! :-)