Sign in to follow this  
Kanga

greasy roo hide

I've got a lovely roo hide that is not like the usual ones I get. It's been rubbed with some kind of grease. Although it doesn't feel greasy you can see it, it's like a white bloom on both side of the leather. I am more concerned with the underside because it wont take the glue. I've tried rubbing, scraping but neither worked. Does anyone know how I can get it off?

Linda

No one knows how? ::( I was really hoping this would be the place to get advice. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, and if I figure out something myself I'll pass it on.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I have a hide like you are talking about too. I asked about it here on the forum awhile ago and here is what I got for a response from The Major.

"Kangaroo's biggest use is predominantly the whip and lace industry. The greased hides have been pre-treated with a dressing, or tallow to preserve the leather, and when you plait your whip you put additional tallow between the plaited layers. This keeps the leather hydrated. And since you don't tool the thongs, it doesn't matter that they are greased.

Also using a greased thong, prevents your lace from wearing out when doing laced edges.

And the only main difference is the tallow added to the hide. Most of the time the hides are either bark tanned or veg tanned. "

That isn't going to help you with your problem, but at least it lets us know that we need to specify what we want when we are getting kangaroo hide.

I usually buy drum stuffed which is perfect for what I want but this one was sold to me by someone else who'd bought it then didn't want it. It's a beautiful quality hide but I should've kept it for lacing not collars. Now it's too late cause I've already cut a chunk out of it. I am going to try something drastic. I'll cut a peice for a collar, scrub it in warm water with a soft brush & saddle soap & see what happens once it's dried. I've got nothing to loose but a little peice of leather.

Linda

Can you just buff the grease out as you use the leather? Maybe post a picture to help us see exactly what you are talking about.

Johanna

I dont have a camera anymore so I cant post a photo Johanna. Never mind, I did what I said I would, cut a peice & scrubbed it in warm water, let it dry then oiled the skin side. It's fine so that's what I'll do with it in future.

Linda