adaman04

Where to buy small qty of leather for holsters?

I've been wanting to get started on a few leather projects, namely holsters (modern, not western), mag pouches and flashlight holders and I need some leather.

From what I've read here, for pancake style holsters I need 8/9 oz and for sheaths and mag pouches maybe 4/5 would be a better option.

I'm trying to find out what weights I'd like to use for each job and with the economy like it is, I'd rather not buy a whole single shoulder of 8/9 and 4/5 until I see if I'm going to stick with it.

Are there any places I can buy small quantities without paying triple the price per sq ft? I'm open to natural veg leather or some black drum dyed would be alright too, since I'm going to be making most everything in black.

Thanks!

Kevin at Springfield will cut what you want.

Tandy also sells a 6-7oz 12"x12" tooling piece.

Another thing to consider. A double-shoulder on sale will run you around $45+shipping. I'm up to 10 hoslters on my first double and a number of them were pancake 1911's. That's a lot of leather to practice with for 1/2 the cost of a single holster. I have about 1/3 of the double to go... I've been making holsters for aquantainces for about the cost of the leather - $40 (those following along, catch your breath and grab a paper bag if needed) so my practice costs me nothing and I may actually make a buck-or-two on the side - as long as I stop buying tools and dummy guns...

There are also holster kits out there that have the leather rough-cut to size and all you need to do is stitch, dye and finish the edges. I think they run around $20. Forget where I found them. Good start to see if this addiction... Ah-hem, profession is right for you.

Edited by JoelR

I get mine at zach whites leather. I get veg. tan bellies for about $2.16 sq ft at wholesale price.

Kevin at Springfield will cut what you want.

Tandy also sells a 6-7oz 12"x12" tooling piece.

Another thing to consider. A double-shoulder on sale will run you around $45+shipping. I'm up to 10 hoslters on my first double and a number of them were pancake 1911's. That's a lot of leather to practice with for 1/2 the cost of a single holster. I have about 1/3 of the double to go... I've been making holsters for aquantainces for about the cost of the leather - $40 (those following along, catch your breath and grab a paper bag if needed) so my practice costs me nothing and I may actually make a buck-or-two on the side - as long as I stop buying tools and dummy guns...

There are also holster kits out there that have the leather rough-cut to size and all you need to do is stitch, dye and finish the edges. I think they run around $20. Forget where I found them. Good start to see if this addiction... Ah-hem, profession is right for you.

May I ask where you get double shoulders for that price? Thats what I have been paying for single shoulders.

I get mine at zach whites leather. I get veg. tan bellies for about $2.16 sq ft at wholesale price.

Man! That name (Zack White) brings back a lot of memories. I spent the first 50 years of my life in Raleigh, NC, and Zack White was located on Wake Forest Rd. just past where Whitaker Mill intersected. When they closed the Raleigh store, my brother bought a ton of stuff from their reduced price inventory. Where is Zack White located now? Is it the same company that operated in Raleigh all those years?

Great little story. Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a small little peaceful place.

Man! That name (Zack White) brings back a lot of memories. I spent the first 50 years of my life in Raleigh, NC, and Zack White was located on Wake Forest Rd. just past where Whitaker Mill intersected. When they closed the Raleigh store, my brother bought a ton of stuff from their reduced price inventory. Where is Zack White located now? Is it the same company that operated in Raleigh all those years?

If you want the best leather holsters in the world, go to www.shado.com. They make their leather holsters custom for you, and the prices are really good. I went to their shop a few times and it smells incredible, the owner has been doing it for over 50 years. He makes holsters for law enforcement worldwide and his quality is second to none. I even bought a leather vest from him and it has built in holsters on both sides, fits great and looks awesome when I ride!

The OP is looking for leather to make holsters not to buy already made holsters. Its more fun to make your own and who knows he might be the next Al Stolhman.

Id call Springfield leather. Their prices are great and they cut as little as 2 sq feet.

Kevin and the nice ladies at Springfield Leather are very good, they have excellent customer service and will sell you only what you need, they sell Herman Oak in 2 Sq Ft sections, you can order as many as you want. If you oder 10 sq ft, it will come as one 10 sq ft piece, they custom cut in any thickness you need.

Chief