Sign in to follow this  
Coiffure

need a grid template

First off, I am very brand new at this forum and wanted to say hi to all and Happy Holidays, and I hope we all can have fun together making leathercrafts. It is so good to see others still enjoying the craft.

Now to my question. Does anyone have a grid template that I can print out so I can use it to put the drill holes into a 4x4 peice of wood. I want to get this done before the holidays are over, as I am having surgery and want to have everything organized so I can work some leather while being laid up again. I hope I can get some help from anyone,and truly appreciate it.

If you can send me a grid that would work for a 4x4. I have to go feed my horses at the moment but when I come back in I sure hope I can find someone to help me. HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!!!

Hey Coiffure,

Just in case you get pressed for time and don't find a good template there's a freaking freaky was to make a tool rack quick and cheap. Go here and check it out!

If you have a drill and bits you probably have a square and ruler or straight edge. If you don't have a square use the rule to lay it off. I'd lay off lies across the width (using the square if you have one) at 3/8 or may 1/2 inch intervals and then mark off four lines equal distance apart running the length of the 4X4 block and parallel to one another and to the length of the block, then at every other intersecting set of lines, drill a hole; alternate the holes on each row; that is drill holes at the first intersection on rows 1 and 3 and then every other one, start the holes on rows 2 and 4 at the second intersection and drill every other one. I don't know what kind of drill set up you've got but worst case is a hand drill so determine how deep you want the holes, do a test on scrap if you can, if not easy up to it on the very first hole until you get it like you want it, then wrap a piece of masking tape around the drill bit and use that as a visual gauge for the depth of each hole. When you're all done sand it nice and smooth and that should get you going. It may not be perfect but it ain't rocket science you're dealing with and it sounds like you're pressed for time. Time being a closing factor, I'd go freaky. When you put all those tools in that styrofoam block it'll be fairly heavy and it won't be blowing in the wind. Another thing you can do to make it a little more friendly is glue a strip of wood (cardboard or skirt will work too) across the backside of the bottom to give it a little tilt so you can get a visual on your tools and you won't have to crank your neck to much to find that tool you're looking for. Good luck on you surgery, we'll cross our fingers for you, and have fun pounding on that hide while you're recuperating and gettin' back up to speed.

- - -

Jo, if you see this one I had to open three Fast Replies before I got a window for the reply. Clicking the Fast Reply Button just have the the same ol' screen again, like I had hit the refresh button. I typed it in Word because I can't trust my browser or whatever is goin' on. I suspect the grimlins are still around. Gettin' toward rack time ... taps is sounding ......

c y'all later ~Bill

Wow, all of you guys are wonderful to get back to me and all of you have great ideas and I believe I can finally get this done with all of your help. Thank you so very much, I truly appreciate it. I am looking forward to being around her for a while. I believe I have found a really friendly forum to belong to.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays, and as you say, keep pounding that leather. Oh I am so excited to get going, Yippee. Pam

I made mine out of spare high-density polyetheylene (I use it to make plastic shells for my motorcycle accessories), graphing paper, a drill bit and soldering iron. you can fabricate it just like metal. total cost: $0