threepets

Heavy Sewing Machines

Has there ever been a Book written that would help a person learn how to use a Large leather Sewing Machine ( 441 ,3000,4000,205 etc)I am sewing with a Toro 3000.I would like to learn about suggested Needle /Thread combos.The different sewing feet and there applications.I am trying to repair leather Horse halters and need to sew close to the hardware.I have seen so called "Buckle " sewing feet on Ferdco's web site and Artisan web site but they appear to be different feet.I am including a few snapshots of Stirrups I need to recover also. Could somebody share with me any suggestions as to what equipment could be used to sew the covering on these stirrups? Any advice would be welcome thanks March22_2008_stirrups_b_007.jpgMarch22_2008_stirrups_b_008.jpgMarch22_2008_stirrups_b_010.jpgMarch22_2008_sewing_machine_001.jpg

post-5914-1206217590_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206217683_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206217921_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206219542_thumb.jpg

It would be helpful to have one of the raised needle plates that Artisan sells and possible their rt. side presser foot, though I think it might also be a good idea to get their double-toed short foot and cut off the lt. side toe.

Could you upload a closeup pic of the feet you currently have on your machine?

Ed

It would be helpful to have one of the raised needle plates that Artisan sells and possible their rt. side presser foot, though I think it might also be a good idea to get their double-toed short foot and cut off the lt. side toe.

Could you upload a closeup pic of the feet you currently have on your machine?

Ed

As you can see I have a raised needle plate but I do not know how to use it.Artisan has a double toe presser foot in the mail for me as we speak.The presser foot in the pic was a double toe but I went cutting before I knew what I was doing

March22_2008_sewing_machine_d_005.jpgMarch22_2008_sewing_machine_d_005.jpgThank you for your assistance March22_2008_sewing_machine_c_008.jpgMarch22_2008_sewing_machine_c_011.jpgMarch22_2008_sewing_machine_c_009.jpg

post-5914-1206224381_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206224423_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206224446_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1206224999_thumb.jpg

I'm also going to try sawing off the lt. side toe on my double toed foot. The reason is because my dedicated rt. side presser foot comes down on the slope of the raised stirrup plate, rather than on top of it. You already have that sawed off foot. You may need to bend the rt. toe in so that it does set down atop the stirrup plate.

I've also noticed that for getting close to objects and using a flat plate, a slotted, feeddogless plate works better than the flat plate you have shown, which is the blanket, nylon flat plate with protruding feed dog. The flat slotted plate I mention does not and cannot use a feed dog. Instead there is a ground down feed dog that moves below the slotted plate and acts merely as a needle guide but never comes in contact with your material. The result is better stitches, especially for intricate work.

Did you modify your lt side presser foot? I've never seen that type before. When i get the time I'll upload all my presser feet.

Ed

I'm also going to try sawing off the lt. side toe on my double toed foot. The reason is because my dedicated rt. side presser foot comes down on the slope of the raised stirrup plate, rather than on top of it. You already have that sawed off foot. You may need to bend the rt. toe in so that it does set down atop the stirrup plate.

I've also noticed that for getting close to objects and using a flat plate, a slotted, feeddogless plate works better than the flat plate you have shown, which is the blanket, nylon flat plate with protruding feed dog. The flat slotted plate I mention does not and cannot use a feed dog. Instead there is a ground down feed dog that moves below the slotted plate and acts merely as a needle guide but never comes in contact with your material. The result is better stitches, especially for intricate work.

Did you modify your lt side presser foot? I've never seen that type before. When i get the time I'll upload all my presser feet.

Ed

Hi Ed

Yes, I did modify the presser foot in the picture.I was talking with Steve at Artisan ,he told me the people trying to sew close to buckles were sawing the tip of the presser feet off.The presser foot,on the machine, in the pic was oriniginally the same size as the foot in the picture laying on the desk.That sawed off foot is not always a good thing.Sometimes when I'm sewing with the short foot it pushes the work out of the way if it has to step up on to additional material.The way this machine is set up it ,the walking foot does not step up very high. Does Artisan sell the Flat Slotted Plate/Feed Dog combo you mention?

Robin

Edited by threepets

Here's a link to a list of suggested needle/thread combos

Ian

Here's a link to a list of suggested needle/thread combos

Ian

Thanks Ian

The link did not appear tho

Thanks Ian

The link did not appear tho

Ooops, here it is

http://www.eleatherworks.com/downloads/schmetz_page_97.pdf

Hi Ed

Yes, I did modify the presser foot in the picture.I was talking with Steve at Artisan ,he told me the people trying to sew close to buckles were sawing the tip of the presser feet off.The presser foot,on the machine, in the pic was oriniginally the same size as the foot in the picture laying on the desk.That sawed off foot is not always a good thing.Sometimes when I'm sewing with the short foot it pushes the work out of the way if it has to step up on to additional material.The way this machine is set up it ,the walking foot does not step up very high. Does Artisan sell the Flat Slotted Plate/Feed Dog combo you mention?

Robin

Hi Robin,

Here are some of the feet and needle plates I have. With the rounded raised needle plate, my machine misses too many stitches, which I think is in part to the steep slope of the needle slot that allows the needle to deflect too far in front of the hook.

I should think about giving the plateaued holster plate more of a chance to prove itself, even though the rounded plate makes tight corners better.

Ed

stirrup.jpg

stirrup1.jpg

rtcutoff.jpg

holster.jpg

ltsidepfoot.jpg

matguide.jpg

post-853-1208928568_thumb.jpg

post-853-1208928580_thumb.jpg

post-853-1208928594_thumb.jpg

post-853-1208928605_thumb.jpg

post-853-1208928635_thumb.jpg