CTaylorJr

Things I've Learned From Leather Working

Things I've learned from leather working

Water based dye doesn't mean it cleans up really well with water

When pounding on a hide, make sure objects on the top shelf of the workbench are secure, or at least not heavy!

An uncovered pricking iron will usually find a fingertip when reaching for another tool in the rack.

Any spill of coffee, soda, or water will always find the piece you're working on.

Cats can make a HUGE mess on the bench if you come into the room and scare them.

The needle you lost and couldn't find will be found by the significant other's foot.

When you drop your swivel knife, it will always find the hardest object on the bench to land on, blade tip first.

Never forget a piece of rawhide in the soaking bucket for a week, it gets quite fragrant in the garage, during the summer in Texas!

Measure twice, cut once... I need to put this one on my forearm!

Leather items make great chew toys if left unattended.

You never have all the tools you need...

How many others did I miss?

Ha ha, I'm sure there's more but you've mentioned some great ones!

Always dip dye in the garage or any place the floor and surrounding do not matter because a quart of black Fiebing's pro oil dye sucks to clean up.......

Patience. That's the one Iesson I still need to learn!

YOU, are your toughest critic.

There are a million ways to do something.....and everyone has the right way

No matter what the customer tells you they want and you make it their specifications, they will always alter the finished product. Stay calm and carve on.

If you change the color of the cat with leather dye your girlfriend will be upset, even if the cat looks better in the new color.

If you change the color of the cat with leather dye your girlfriend will be upset, even if the cat looks better in the new color.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Pics or it didn't happen!

We'll, thanks not fair. You didn't tell Charlie that he had to show proof of the foot stabbing of his girlfriend.

Things I've learned from leather working

Water based dye doesn't mean it cleans up really well with water

When pounding on a hide, make sure objects on the top shelf of the workbench are secure, or at least not heavy!

An uncovered pricking iron will usually find a fingertip when reaching for another tool in the rack.

Any spill of coffee, soda, or water will always find the piece you're working on.

Cats can make a HUGE mess on the bench if you come into the room and scare them.

The needle you lost and couldn't find will be found by the significant other's foot.

When you drop your swivel knife, it will always find the hardest object on the bench to land on, blade tip first.

Never forget a piece of rawhide in the soaking bucket for a week, it gets quite fragrant in the garage, during the summer in Texas!

Measure twice, cut once... I need to put this one on my forearm!

Leather items make great chew toys if left unattended.

You never have all the tools you need...

How many others did I miss?

Pics of your wife's foot or it didn't happen!

Patience. That's the one Iesson I still need to learn!

If you are not Doctor Joe, . . . you do not need patience, . . . or patients, . . .

You just need to keep plodding on, . . . cut a little here, . . . carve a little there, . . . dye some of this, . . . Resolene on that, . . .

The Good Book tells us that "tribulation worketh patience", . . . and if we look at the OP's ideas, . . . he must have a bunch of patience :cowboy:

May God bless,

Dwight

Keep your tools sharp

HA! If I had pulled out a camera for that, they would have been surgically removing that camera from me a bit later!

She was MAD, right between 2 toes...

If you think you got it 'figured-out', you don't.

HA! If I had pulled out a camera for that, they would have been surgically removing that camera from me a bit later!

She was MAD, right between 2 toes...

Oh man I bet! If that was my wife I can't imagine how many flowers and how much chocolate it would take...

Yeah it took a bit for her to get over that one!

Here's another for the list though...

Not matter how often it happens, and you know it's going to, when the acetone can "pops", you'll jump....

Here's one.

Sharp tools demand respect. If you need a refresher on this rule, blood will be involved.

I have a couple...

Glue, it's inevitable to have it unintentionally applied to far more places than you planned for.

It's not a true "project" until blood has been drawn.

Here's one.

Sharp tools demand respect. If you need a refresher on this rule, blood will be involved.

^ This OMG.

I cook a lot. I mean a lot. I have cut myself non-seriously many times. I have only cut myself really bad once. On a ing onion. I have chopped prob thousands of freaking onions. Was holding it the wrong way cause I was in a hurry and took a giant chunk out of my thumb. I can still feel where the flesh is missing.

I wrapped in a giant wad of paper tows and duct taped it very tightly. My wife got home 45 minutes later. It was still bleeding profusely. Had to go to urgent care. Stitches suck. Especially when they put the anesthetic right in the damn wound.

I have not made that mistake again. I now chop much slower.

Here's one I learned the hard way, a good sharp awl will easily go through the leather and into your fingertip if you've done the foolish thing of putting your finger behind the work, likely without you feeling it. Also, for some reason most customers don't want bloodstains on their brand new item... go figure

It is absolutely amazing how fast one quick shortcut can turn into a bloodbath. Last Christmas I was making parts for presents. At one point I decided to flip my knife around and switch hands rather then take the time to rearrange the part I was cutting. As I'm sure you can guess, it didn't end well. Didn't need stitches thankfully, but it was a close thing.

It is absolutely amazing how fast one quick shortcut can turn into a bloodbath. Last Christmas I was making parts for presents. At one point I decided to flip my knife around and switch hands rather then take the time to rearrange the part I was cutting. As I'm sure you can guess, it didn't end well. Didn't need stitches thankfully, but it was a close thing.

I hear you there. Then you are sitting there wondering how you could possibly be so stupid. At least I was.

I did sharpen the back side of a head knife on one side for the pull cut dumb f-----------------------------------------ing thing to do! IMHO

I did sharpen the back side of a head knife on one side for the pull cut dumb f-----------------------------------------ing thing to do! IMHO

Ouch!