AZ09

Wrist band lengrhs

Hello All

I plan to pre make several wrist bands prior to a craft fair. When you make your wrist bands what size length (and width) do you usually cut them to? For my twin girls (12year olds) they fit a 8 inch length. by 3/4 to 1 inch width.

Peace,

Tal~

At one point, I had an order from a fraternity for about 50 bands with the house logo on them. I did them with one set of snaps on one end, and three on the other. While this is an unbalanced use of snaps, it allowed for fit on any of the guys. All the bands were 9" long. Snaps were set 1/2" from the end, then about 1/2" apart from that point on.

Now, when I make bands for fairs, I do something similar. I make almost all bands 9" long (sometimes I will do some longer and some shorter). Almost all of them are set with one snap on the one end and two at the other. This, again, allows for some adjustability.

Hope this helps! By the way, I sell LOTS of wristbands, mostly mystery braids, and I price them at 5.00 each. They're a hot seller. I could probably sell them at 10.00, but they might not move as well.

At one point, I had an order from a fraternity for about 50 bands with the house logo on them. I did them with one set of snaps on one end, and three on the other. While this is an unbalanced use of snaps, it allowed for fit on any of the guys. All the bands were 9" long. Snaps were set 1/2" from the end, then about 1/2" apart from that point on.

Now, when I make bands for fairs, I do something similar. I make almost all bands 9" long (sometimes I will do some longer and some shorter). Almost all of them are set with one snap on the one end and two at the other. This, again, allows for some adjustability.

Hope this helps! By the way, I sell LOTS of wristbands, mostly mystery braids, and I price them at 5.00 each. They're a hot seller. I could probably sell them at 10.00, but they might not move as well.

Wild Rose,

Thank you for the tips, on adjustability. I had been thinking 9 inches. I also found a new love for Sharpie markers they make my band designs pop,,I've been making them with roses ,vines leaves and thorns. Do you skive the end pieces for a better fit at the connection? Also, what is a mystery braid ?? I'm interested in learning how to do this what weight leather, and can you guide me to a tutorial?

I love Sharpies too !

Mystery braids are something I learned through Tandy. They have/had an instruction sheet on them. I've attached pics of one made and un-made. This one was cut and snaps set by Ann McGrath - a friend of mine from PA. It's suede. I usually use veggie tan, around 4/5 oz. and stain it. (I also don't usually set the snaps this close to the edges.) I've even done them where each strip was a different color - neat effect. I'll see if I have the instruction sheet and pm it to you. I don't think I should post it here for copyright reasons.

I found Ann's sold REALLY well at a recent festival because of the color variety, the softness of the suede, and because she had smaller sizes for the kids.

015.JPG017.JPG

post-5639-125323549603_thumb.jpg

post-5639-125323550455_thumb.jpg

WR,

Great! Thanks for the visual reference . I'll pick up some suede next week when I go to Tucson . I have some 4/5 on hand and will start practice as soon as I get the tutorial. **I recieved and responded to PM.

Tal~

Hi... I think you're on the right track with your length, and having 2 snaps on one end is good too. Just a side point, I've done a lot of shows where I actually let the kids stamp their own band...... There were times when those wrist bands carried the show. And of course, there's nothing like a bunch of pounding and excited kids to draw a crowd... Just something to think about! :)

Kevin

Hi... I think you're on the right track with your length, and having 2 snaps on one end is good too. Just a side point, I've done a lot of shows where I actually let the kids stamp their own band...... There were times when those wrist bands carried the show. And of course, there's nothing like a bunch of pounding and excited kids to draw a crowd... Just something to think about! smile.gif

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I think that is a great idea and will try it once I become more efficient with my craft. Not ready to have an audience watch me pound leather. I dont know enough yet to dazzle em with brillance.rolleyes.gif

Tal~

I have made and sold leather wristbands. I usually make them 1 and 1/2 inches in width and around 7 to 8 inches in length. I have found that for petite women, I seem to make bracelets that are 4 to 5 inches for the real small wrists. I normally put two sets of snaps on one end and one set of snaps on the other end. I hope this helps.

Mooshi

Don;t know if this helps but here goes:

If the wrist is measured 7 the I make the cuff 2 inches bigger and from snap center to snap center an inch to an inch and half bigger. So a 7" wrist size cut the leather to 9 and center the snaps 8" to 8.5.

Average sizes for most people are from 6.5 to 8.5 while smaller men and women have 5.5" to 6.5"wrists Bigger men and women have wrists that are 8.5 to 9.5. Bigger than that charge by the foot.........:) LOL

Don;t know if this helps but here goes:

If the wrist is measured 7 the I make the cuff 2 inches bigger and from snap center to snap center an inch to an inch and half bigger. So a 7" wrist size cut the leather to 9 and center the snaps 8" to 8.5.

Average sizes for most people are from 6.5 to 8.5 while smaller men and women have 5.5" to 6.5"wrists Bigger men and women have wrists that are 8.5 to 9.5. Bigger than that charge by the foot.........smile.gif LOL

Thanks for the help Bad Love..

Tal~

Hi... I think you're on the right track with your length, and having 2 snaps on one end is good too. Just a side point, I've done a lot of shows where I actually let the kids stamp their own band...... There were times when those wrist bands carried the show. And of course, there's nothing like a bunch of pounding and excited kids to draw a crowd... Just something to think about! smile.gif

Kevin

Wow Kevin, that is a great idea. You really are a wise guy... I mean a smart guy. Seriously Kevin, that is a great idea. This is why I like this forum so much. Thank you for sharing that idea. I have been thinking of going to a craft fair and need some of the little things to have on the table. Letting the kids do their own is a great way to get business.

Thanks again.

I may have added this in a side message, but I also bring things for kids/adults to stamp, or I'll stamp for them - usually bookmarks. They go for 2.00/each and sell very well.