When laying out your design/pattern do you measure the overall width of the patter to fit a common pocket size (like Levi) or is there a desired width to shoot for?

Thanks guys/gals!

It is best to know the pocket dimensions so you don't end up with something that won't fit into the pocket. I like to make the holster so it can be readily removed from the pocket when necessary (without unfastening the pants, etc, to get it out).

The main design item I try to achieve is the "ears" on the holster (sufficient to reliably catch on the corners of the pocket so the pistol can be drawn without the holster coming with it). Also, it is best not to form the holster too tightly to the handgun, to allow an easy draw (retention of the weapon isn't a problem, the pocket does that until the handgun is needed).

I thought a "one size fits all" approach would not work. I guess the key is to determine the size of pocket that will be used most frequently.

If you are making a holster for your own use, the trial and error approach will work. If you are making a holster with expectations that someone is going to pay for it, get it right the first time. Have the customer give you the parameters to be met, make sure they are reasonable, then proceed with the project.

Best wishes.

I thought a "one size fits all" approach would not work. I guess the key is to determine the size of pocket that will be used most frequently.

JRB

I've built more pocket holsters then any other style holster. I have a standard width pattern that I use. Some of my holsters are built with a rounded bottom, most are built with a straight bottom. My pocket style holsters have worked out well with most style size pockets. In my opinion, the tightness of the trousers has more to do with the fit and usefulness of a pocket holster then the size of the pocket. If your pocket holster works well with most of your trouser pockets, but does not work well with a particular style/size pocket, I suggest modifying the pocket to better fit the holster. I agree with Lobo, real tight boning is not required and can be detrementel to a smooth draw from the pocket. I usually only bone the side of the holster which is against the leg. In a leather pocket holster some pistol retention is required. For example, If your seated on a soft sofa, you don't want your pistol tumbleing out of your pocket.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your holster.

Randy

Edited by Randyc