Ok so this is my first leather project ever. I have learned so far that a good pattern is crucial , since all my edges are not right on. I would like it if someone could give me tips and advise on the lacing. Also please be as brutally honest as you can!! I am on this site to learn and get advice. I will not get offended (as I have seen others get:) So just tell me what ya think :rolleyes:

Thanks

Lindsay

IMG_0452_1_.jpg

IMG_0455_1_.jpg

IMG_0451_1_.jpg

post-9990-1239757510_thumb.jpg

post-9990-1239757530_thumb.jpg

post-9990-1239757556_thumb.jpg

:jawdropper: i am far from a pro..but what i see is way incredible for a first time project!

:jawdropper: i am far from a pro..but what i see is way incredible for a first time project!

I'll see your :jawdropper: and raise you a :rockon: and add a :welcome:

please tell me you were a leather worker in another life....

I'll see your :jawdropper: and raise you a :rockon: and add a :welcome:

please tell me you were a leather worker in another life....

WOW thanks :thumbsup: You just made my day! If I was a leatherworker in another life I hope the whole carving technique comes out soon!!LOL

Thank You :specool:

Very very nice

I think your well on your way to a happy friendship with leather,

If I have one thing to say it's this I would and some more light colors around the edges so it dosent blend together so much you will see what you like and what you don't.

Good luck and a fantastic first effort.

Josh

Very very nice

I think your well on your way to a happy friendship with leather,

If I have one thing to say it's this I would and some more light colors around the edges so it dosent blend together so much you will see what you like and what you don't.

Good luck and a fantastic first effort.

Josh

Hey thanks. Yeah I am not really sure about the dyeing, oiling or really anything that has to do with liquids yet. I think that lightening the edges would have been really cool!! Thanks for the comment:)

LINDSAY

Very nice first project!! I really like the contrast with the black and white. Nice job on the stamping. The only thing I think would make it look better is if you would of used a different edge lace style. Such as the eight string round edge braid. This braid and a few more for edges can be found in Bruce Grants Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding. And I'm sure Tandy's has a book on edge lacing. Once again nice purse.

Mike

Edited by rawhide1

LINDSAY

Very nice first project!! I really like the contrast with the black and white. The only thing I think would make it look better is if you would of used a different edge lace style. Such as the eight string round edge braiding. This braid and a few more for edges can be found in Bruce Grants Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding. And I'm sure Tandy's has a book. Once again nice purse.

Mike

Perfect:) I was waiting for someone to tell me something about my lacing mess:) I will definetly look in to getting that book. Thank You :yes:

Ok so after looking at again there was somthing that I didn't like on the back piece you need some sort of border around that stamp and that makes a big statement in design and the over all look.

Well any way that's it now get another one done for us to see best wishes

Josh

Ok so after looking at again there was somthing that I didn't like on the back piece you need some sort of border around that stamp and that makes a big statement in design and the over all look.

Well any way that's it now get another one done for us to see best wishes

Josh

Well There is a border but it is so small that I can't even see it in that picture:( I only have a few tools so far and that was the biggest border stamp I had!!LOL Hey is there a certain brand of tools that you prefer. I want to order some but really don't know which are the best. Thanks again and keep em comming :thumbsup:

Lindsay

That all dependes on your budget it can get costly, don't buy Tandy stamps not worth it hidcrafters carrys some cheaper ones $7.00 range but if your very serious about you want

To go with some thing better like bob beard, watt and there is list do a search on this site for stamp makers.

Good luck

Josh

Well There is a border but it is so small that I can't even see it in that picture:( I only have a few tools so far and that was the biggest border stamp I had!!LOL Hey is there a certain brand of tools that you prefer. I want to order some but really don't know which are the best. Thanks again and keep em comming :thumbsup:

Lindsay,

I wish my first project looked that good. It's obvious you are learning from someone or paying attention to what your seeing.

You have nice deep impressions and a pretty straight pattern.

Now for the critique you want, the only thing I see is in the last picture. Have a well defined border and lean your tool away from the border when you get close to the edge so there are no tool marks past the border.

Other than that just practice, practice, practice................well you get the picture.

Casey

Lindsay,

I wish my first project looked that good. It's obvious you are learning from someone or paying attention to what your seeing.

You have nice deep impressions and a pretty straight pattern.

Now for the critique you want, the only thing I see is in the last picture. Have a well defined border and lean your tool away from the border when you get close to the edge so there are no tool marks past the border.

Other than that just practice, practice, practice................well you get the picture.

Casey

So I went to your website and that "Flight Bag" is by far the most awesome bag I have seen!!! I don't even now if I could ever get that good!! Well I don't have anyone to teach me how to do this stuff, that's why I got on here. I love going to shows and looking @ custom purses and getting ideas. Do you ever do any trade shows?

Edited by LINDSAY

Lindsay,

I like it. You did a nice job. Congrats!

Daryl

Thank You!!! :thumbsup:

Nice design.

Awsome stamping (especially for a first).

Learn to double loop lace and it would be perfect.

Aaron

So I went to your website and that "Flight Bag" is by far the most awesome bag I have seen!!! I don't even now if I could ever get that good!! Well I don't have anyone to teach me how to do this stuff, that's why I got on here. I love going to shows and looking @ custom purses and getting ideas. Do you ever do any trade shows?

Thanks for the comment!

If you keep after it you can get as good as you want to. I think it would be safe to say that I have been doing this longer than you, but I think I'm starting to catch on a little.

I'm self taught on the tooling part too. If you could get someone to help you out getting started it sure would cut down the learning curve.

I do western collectable & antique shows, those are where I get most of my business.

Good luck and keep practicing!!

Casey

Hello Lindsay,

Thats a pretty ambitious first project!!! Very nice, and very creative! You'll do well as you go down the road.... Since you asked for criticism, I'll offer you a thought. On the lacing, especially with a hair on edge like what you've got there, I'd go with a double loop stitch, or something similar. It covers the edge better, and looks much more finished. another option if you have it, is to sew the edge, then buck stitch it. You can sand the raw edge on a sander, and finish it with what ever edge dressing that you like.

Please don't take this wrong...it's a great purse, and i wish my first one would have been 1/2 as nice! keep it up!

Kevin Hopkins

Fantastic job Lindsay for a first or 1000th project!!!

Art

Edited by ArtS

Hello Lindsay,

Thats a pretty ambitious first project!!! Very nice, and very creative! You'll do well as you go down the road.... Since you asked for criticism, I'll offer you a thought. On the lacing, especially with a hair on edge like what you've got there, I'd go with a double loop stitch, or something similar. It covers the edge better, and looks much more finished. another option if you have it, is to sew the edge, then buck stitch it. You can sand the raw edge on a sander, and finish it with what ever edge dressing that you like.

Please don't take this wrong...it's a great purse, and i wish my first one would have been 1/2 as nice! keep it up!

Kevin Hopkins

Thank You !! That's what I was wanting suggestions. I have been wondering how to do the edges, thought about sand paper but was not sure if I could. Great tips I have been praticing the double loop lacing , so hopefully I will have that down for the next one... Thanks again , don't be sorry for giving advise you guys are the only teachers I have :)

Fantastic job Lindsay for a first or 1000th project!!!

Art

Thank you!! It was kinda crazy to take on such a big project for the first one, but after a long week of trying to make everything match and learning new things it is done!!!