Trying to learn how to use this thing, I like it so far but there is a learning curve from the Boss that I used for years. Belt is two layers of 7/8 oz X 1.5" wide.

Chief

post-6362-0-45541100-1402226615_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

Wow looks like that curve is not very steep in your case. Now is that the leather you got from NY NICE JOB CHIEF.

Very nice work, looks you've been using the 3200 for years.

Wow looks like that curve is not very steep in your case. Now is that the leather you got from NY NICE JOB CHIEF.

Thanks, no this is Hermann Oak, I still have some left, but I'm transitioning to the NY stuff, I've made a couple of holsters with it, looks and works great.

Very nice work, looks you've been using the 3200 for years.

Thanks, should'a seen my practice scraps!!!

Chief

Chief when i first got my cobra the wife said i have never seen someone sew that much and make nothing ya well when you make that hole in leather its there but all is good now. HA HA . By the way good luck with that new machine looking forward to see more.

Edited by Samalan

Easy to get a good edge?

Lookin good Chief.

Easy to get a good edge?

Not sure what you mean?

Chief

Lookin good Chief.

Thanks,

Chief

Now that is a serious belt!

I am jonesing for a real leather sewing machine. I am hesitant to buy a smaller one in fear Ill still want a bigger one later, but I really can't afford a big one.

Do you use an edge guide, or free hand guide the stitches?

Now that is a serious belt!

I am jonesing for a real leather sewing machine. I am hesitant to buy a smaller one in fear Ill still want a bigger one later, but I really can't afford a big one.

Do you use an edge guide, or free hand guide the stitches?

I know what you mean, I had a Boss for a long time and never had an occasion to sew more than 1/2" so I sold it and bought this one, I like it a lot better. I didn't use the Boss that much because it was hard to hold the material and pull the handle at the same time. So I wound up hand sewing almost everything because I didn't have much confidence in getting a good looking stitch line, it could be done but it was harder than it is with the servo motor and triple feed, the Boss was a needle feed and was a little more finicky about sewing straight and accurate. I'm getting older and the hand sewing on say a lined guitar strap or belt is pretty punishing on my arthritis. I'm thinking this machine may keep me in the game a few more years.

Chief

I know what you mean, I had a Boss for a long time and never had an occasion to sew more than 1/2" so I sold it and bought this one, I like it a lot better. I didn't use the Boss that much because it was hard to hold the material and pull the handle at the same time. So I wound up hand sewing almost everything because I didn't have much confidence in getting a good looking stitch line, it could be done but it was harder than it is with the servo motor and triple feed, the Boss was a needle feed and was a little more finicky about sewing straight and accurate. I'm getting older and the hand sewing on say a lined guitar strap or belt is pretty punishing on my arthritis. I'm thinking this machine may keep me in the game a few more years.

Chief

I have problems with my hands. I have essential tremors, and I think because of those I grip things really hard and bang my hands a lot. They took some serious abuse when I worked as a Strip Mine mechanic. I am going to have to quit leather work if I don't get a machine. My hands just cant take hand sewing guitar straps, and I don't want to make half-ass guitar straps.

Looks great to me!

Looks great to me!

Thanks, I see you're from Georgia, not many of us out here.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Looks like that machine did a really good job on the belt. I need a machine and thought about the Boss but maybe I should wait and save until I can get a real machine. looks like this one is working out good for you.

Looks like that machine did a really good job on the belt. I need a machine and thought about the Boss but maybe I should wait and save until I can get a real machine. looks like this one is working out good for you.

The Boss was good, but I never got to liking it much, these are head and shoulders above the Boss in my opinion.

Chief

Thanks Chief, I'll keep that in mind when I am ready to buy.

Chief, Did you get the several plates, feed dogs, and edge guide with your machine? Does yours have the servo motor? I bought the Cobra Deluxe machine around the end of last year and it came with the three plates, feed dogs and edge quide and I never use the edge guide. I do use the holster plate most of the time and the standard plate for really thick stitching. Most of my work is cowboy gun leather, in fact all of it. I have found the holster plate works best for general stitching except for the main seam, which is too thick to fit under the pressor foot.

I always use a guide for belts but the roller guide which came with the machine does not work well for that. I fabricated a guide which fits in the roller guide bracket and lets me run the guide right up to the edge of the pressor foot, which means less than 1/4 inch from the edge, stitch line. I also use 277 lubricated nylon thread top and bottom because I like the look of the larger thread. When I go from a single layer of 6/7 veg tan to 1/2" or more thickness I adjust the top tension knob about two turns for the thinner stuff and no adjustments to the bobbin tension ever. I also ground off the bottom of the needle foot to get rid of the ridge which is suposed to bury the stitch below the surface of the leather. This is supposed to make the stitch look better, I suppose, but created more problems than it was worth. I just increased the bobbin tension a bit and the top tension to pull the thread a bit tighter in the stitch.

You may have a short learning curve coming from a Boss but you at least have the concept of stitch tension understood. My transition to a Cobra was relatively short as I came from an upholstery background using a Consew 206RB5. Good luck and if I can help in any way please let me know.

I didn't get the plates, they won't work with the 3200, with the standard plate it will only go high enough to sew a little over 1/2". I got a left pressor foot, double pressor foot, roller guide, and a lamp for it, I can't think of anything else I would need, I mostly make guitar, dobro, banjo and mandolin straps, plus belts and some wallets, etc. I decided to get the 3200 with the 5/8" lift as opposed to the 3500 with the 7/8" lift. I never used the Boss to sew anything near 1/2" so I'm happy with it. It comes standard with a servo motor. The needle foot on these doesn't have the groover on the bottom, they are stainless steel and very smooth. I usually cut a groove with my groover, then set the edge guide so that the stitches are in the groove. When sewing across holsters, etc, I groove the line and then follow it free hand. I don't think I'd like the groover on the bottom of the needle foot either, I'd probably do the same thing you did.

Chief

Somehow I thought the 3200 was the larger machine. After checking the website I see it's not. My comments were more towards the 3500 machine or the Juki 441 clones. I have the Cobra 4-P which came with the three plates, and roller edge guide. Good luck with your new machine.

Cheif, your belt looks super great, ! and as if you been using your new 3200 since childhood. I know theres a curve but it dosen't show !

As always very nice craftsmanship. keep em coming !

I went to Toledo Bob looking for a Boss......he sold me on electricity instead. I had to go home and scrape up a little more dough, but I'm sure glad I did.

If you're ever up around NW Ohio, get on over here, I'll show you a Cowboy 3500 in action. A "real machine" as you put it is the only way to fly.

Beautiful Belt Chief, Cheryl