Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

Laser engraving leather

I have a customer who wants quite a bit of lettering (esp. Bible verses) on a project. Someone suggested laser engraving them. How is this done and where can I get the equipment and how much does it cost?

Laser engraving equipment, even on the low end, is going to cost quite a bit of money. Your best bet is to find a local trophy/engraving shop and have them do it. Kowboyboots here on the forum does it, also.

Laser engraving essentially burns the leather as it cuts, so it turns the leather a dark brown. That means that you're not going to be able to see it very well on the black bible cover you're doing. There is a way to get around that, so to speak. You want to die your cover first. Then you can have whoever is doing the laser engraving for you put down the "mask" tape where they're going to engrave. Once they're done, leave the tape on, and then air brush a contrasting color. Let it dry. Then air brush/apply a sealer. Let it dry. Then peel off the mask tape. Depending on how small/detailed the lettering is, it's going to require some amount of work to get all that tape off.

Good luck to you.

I have a customer who wants quite a bit of lettering (esp. Bible verses) on a project. Someone suggested laser engraving them. How is this done and where can I get the equipment and how much does it cost?

Holly:

I had this come up recently with five roper wallets that a friend wanted. I did a tool version and also ordered a laser version and presented both to my friend. I must admit that the tooled version came out nice, but the laser version had much more detail. Give Ms. Brenda a shout (she is member here, recently joined) she does nothing but laser work and has gotten into leather stamps. But with me, I have taken her out of her comfort zone and she is willing to venture into other areas of leather. check out her website and at least get a quote from her if you decide to check with other vendors. FYI: I am not associated with this company other than as a satisfied customer. Good luck

www.lasergiftcreations.com

info@lasergiftcreations.com

At this stage, I turned the customer down, but it is something I'd like to keep in mind for the future - so thanks for the info!

At this stage, I turned the customer down, but it is something I'd like to keep in mind for the future - so thanks for the info!

Adding to what has already been said (only for emphasis), . . . a friend of mine wanted to get into the laser engraving business. He and his wife sunk $25,000 into the equipment, training, and a small pile of sample blanks.

IT DID DO FANTASTIC WORK !!!!!

He also hinted that it was somewhat expensive to operate (no figures just complaints) as it used some kind of containerized CO2 and some other stuff.

Anyway, may God bless,

Dwight

Thanks K-Man, yes I do laser engraving.

Engravers run around $10,000 for a good small one plus computer & software. I have been lasering on leather for almost 20 yrs.

Look on www.kowboyboots.com click anywhere on the page to go to the web shots & see my work.

I burn a lot of hair on hide too.

I started doing custom stamps 20 yrs ago too but had to use teflon before we found the dilron.

Its beautiful work but not for everyone.

I work only in wholesale so I am really reasonable if you need any work done.

Dwight, gosh I ran my first laser for 13 yrs with out refilling the CO2 an I used it every day.

They must have a leak or something. I been running this second laser for 6 an not ran out either.

Kathy

Edited by Kowboyboots