Whilst deciding upon materials to order for making a belt, I stumbled across a recent post by Art which endorses Fiebing's pro dyes. Unfortunately they are now contraband in California (along with oil-base paint -- ever try to get a really good finish on woodwork with latex? :no: ). So have any of you other CA unfortunates tried the low VOC dyes from Fiebing's? How do they compare?

Welcome to the site.... I cant help ya, I have tried some of the tandy.... and didnt like it, and they have shown that they are not ready to be oin the market by pulling several of their colors....

Best thing I can say is have then mailed to someone outside of the republic of Ca and then have that friend mail them into you....

Skeltron,

First of all, welcome to Leatherworker.net. It's good to have you here.

I haven't worked with Fiebings low VOC dyes, and I have no idea where to get them, either. Maybe someone else can provide a source?

However, I've been using Tandy's Eco-Flo leather dyes since June 2007, and I actually prefer them to any other dye I've used in the past. Now, I can think of several members here (including Wolvie, as mentioned above) that don't share my enthusiasm for this new line. But, it only costs 5 bucks to give it a try. My favorites are Coal Black, Bison Brown, Dark Mahogany and Ranger Tan. What's also neat about these water-based dyes is that they're super easy to mix to create your own custom shades.

Give 'em a try. You might be pleasantly surprised! :)

Alex

Thanks, Guys,

Followup question: The previously mentioned post by Art recommended pre-treatment of the leather with neatsfoot oil or the like to enhance evenness of dyeing. Would this likely apply to dyeing with the low VOC dyes as well? I expect that I can experiment on scrap, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Dave

I'm with Alex on the Eco Flow dyes. I have been using them some and the more I use them, the more I like them. I'd recommend giving them a try.

Oh, by the way, Fiebing's (both low VOC and their traditional lines) is available From Zack White Leather Company www.eleatherworks.com. I knew that -- else I wouldn't have known enough to ask the question about the low VOC product in the first place!

Followup question: The previously mentioned post by Art recommended pre-treatment of the leather with neatsfoot oil or the like to enhance evenness of dyeing. Would this likely apply to dyeing with the low VOC dyes as well? I expect that I can experiment on scrap, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

Dave, I've pre-treated leather with neatsfool oil when using spirit dyes and seen the good results Art mentions. I've done the same thing using water-based dyes and can't tell the difference. I generally use neatsfoot oil after dyeing to condition the leather and even out the color a bit.

Experimenting on scrap to form your own opinion is a good idea.