TomSwede

Flyfishing rod tube No2

So finally got this tube together.

Black and orange theme inspired from the old videogame Ataris logotype with an added thingy on the cap. Just wanted a design with clean lines, center one is extrovert and the sides are introvert beveling.

The cap is built around the vinyl liner (I'd rather call it innertube, but it's a liner in the cap) to act as a friction lock and a simple cord on the back. It won't come off in normal use since the vinyl is lots of friction.

Basic idea with a friction lock is to rid those sometimes bold looking topstrap and buckles that can really mess up a neat design.

It houses a 3 split 10 ft rod.

Tom

IMG_6526_01.jpg

IMG_6538_01.jpg

IMG_6544_01.jpg

IMG_6551_01.jpg

IMG_6553_01.jpg

IMG_6560_01.jpg

post-5146-1210288145_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210288157_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210288167_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210288177_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210288193_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210288204_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

Very very nice Tom! the handle looks like the braid that I learned from Rene Berends of Germany. I have some bracelets and hair barrette done that way. You should do a tutorial on how you did the tube! I would like to do one to carry my large patterns in when I work on large projects away from home.

Very classy looking job, Tom!

Braided handle is a knockout, and the lettering looks well executed. I like the linework with the texture.

Makes me want to tie up some flies...now where are those turkey feathers?

Tom, you do some amazing work! I love that braided handle!

I agree, you should do a tutorial!

Hilly

That's a good looking case, Tom!

Awesome looking case Tom, I also really like the handle, and the carved name is such a nice touch. Can we see the way you did the seam on the backside of the tube....please.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

WOW !!!! Tom that's on heck of a nice case man. I'de be afraid to use it so nice. I like everything about it. How long did that take to make ?? Again WOW !! Well done.

Very very nice Tom! the handle looks like the braid that I learned from Rene Berends of Germany. I have some bracelets and hair barrette done that way. You should do a tutorial on how you did the tube! I would like to do one to carry my large patterns in when I work on large projects away from home.

Thank you Anne!

I've seen Rene's work online, a very talented man.

The handle braid is mexican basketwave/roundbraid on edges and center is a variation that ShirleyZ posted a while ago.

Very classy looking job, Tom!

Braided handle is a knockout, and the lettering looks well executed. I like the linework with the texture.

Makes me want to tie up some flies...now where are those turkey feathers?

Thanks Alex!

I really put alot of effort into those letter since it's so hard on such a big leather.

You're excused for going fishin over beating the 'ol dead cow;-)

Tom, you do some amazing work! I love that braided handle!

I agree, you should do a tutorial!

Hilly

Thank you Hilly! I'm glad you liked it, it sure is better than my armpits;-)

Tom

Tom, you did it again! The two things that impress me most about this case are

the way you did the name and that fabulous handle. Mind if I borrow your handle

design? I have a project in mind that it would set off.

Really a fine piece of work, Tom!!!

That's a good looking case, Tom!

Thank you Kathy! I put my best effort into it and picking up skill on how to handle big leathers I will try to achive some higher goals with those. I got some really fun ideas but need funding for them.

Awesome looking case Tom, I also really like the handle, and the carved name is such a nice touch. Can we see the way you did the seam on the backside of the tube....please.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

Working on getting pics with that.

WOW !!!! Tom that's on heck of a nice case man. I'de be afraid to use it so nice. I like everything about it. How long did that take to make ?? Again WOW !! Well done.

Thank you Freak!

I'm really nervous when handling it now that it is done and is no longer considered mine. 2½ week but that's also colliding with family, work, housecleaning and stuff but last week has been about 3-4 hours of sleep per night and one hour per afternoon so alot of hours into it. Braids may be about ten hours perhaps, getting the holes laid out correct is alot of doublechecking and teadious work that chews up time, tooling, colouring, pampering details..phew it's alot of work.

Very Nice work!!!

Thank you Mudman!

I am just amazed. Very clean, very sharp.

Tom, you did it again! The two things that impress me most about this case are

the way you did the name and that fabulous handle. Mind if I borrow your handle

design? I have a project in mind that it would set off.

Really a fine piece of work, Tom!!!

Hey Hedge! Thanks alot!

I'd be honoured to lend you the design, after all you're the one that set my up to try braiding the cord for previous tube and lending a helping hand with that so I just owe you big time!

About the name carving I personally really like how it looks when floating just into the orange area. I was very unsure about that but just felt I needed to explore that way of doing it.

Can I see your project later?

Here's a coupl of pics from the back Ken. Poor lighting causing too long shutter speeds with needed aperture made it hard to get any good shots with a deeper perspective of the back. Try and take it outside tomorrow.

Tom

IMG_6566_01.jpg

IMG_6567_01.jpg

post-5146-1210296487_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1210296502_thumb.jpg

Another great rod tube!

Like the way the lines extend into the tube cap.

jc

I am just amazed. Very clean, very sharp.
Another great rod tube!

Like the way the lines extend into the tube cap.

jc

Thank you guys!

One of the reasons behind the friction lock is those lines and of course try and make the tube look like a whole clean piece.

We want surface to tool on, oh, don't we!

Tom

Outstanding my friend, just beautiful!

Dude this is awesome. I agree with the WOW remark. color looks great and the construction is top notch.

Outstanding my friend, just beautiful!
Dude this is awesome. I agree with the WOW remark. color looks great and the construction is top notch.

Thank You Dagr and Spider!

Nice that you like the construction, this one can take some serious beating and still hold together. Previous tube has that button and the cord that may need replacing after heavy use also that cap is just attached to one side but it'll sit quite firm once I get that vinyl liner on.

Tom

Hi Tom - Great job! I am a big fan of your handles since I saw the first tube. :thumbsup: Love your color combo's. I have a question: (don't know/understand much about construction things) on the pic of the lining you have the lining edge turned and stitched, but it doesn't look like the stitching has an actual job. Am I missing something or was this just because you needed to play with some more lace. ;)

Crystal

Tom, that rod holder is super nice. That is just great craftmanship. Keepup with the very nice work. It's sure as heck nice to look at. I wiped my chin to avoid droulling on the keyboard... :)

Hi Tom - Great job! I am a big fan of your handles since I saw the first tube. :thumbsup: Love your color combo's. I have a question: (don't know/understand much about construction things) on the pic of the lining you have the lining edge turned and stitched, but it doesn't look like the stitching has an actual job. Am I missing something or was this just because you needed to play with some more lace. ;)

Crystal

Thanks Crystal! Glad you liked the handle, I think it's the most decorative part on this one.

Yuo have sharp eyes and your right about the turned lining. It should not have been stitched but rather mede from one part that is just a tad wider to allow turning without to much probs fitting in down over the tube.

I do lot's of thinking ahead and that's one major time thief and I did think about this aswell but I just got it wrong and thought that the outer liner would have to be sewn on flipside. This was not the case I notice when starting with the physical construction but I continued with this solution just to see the result. Owner is 15 mins to walk from here so I can easily redo it later. It was good practice though and I'd say I need more practice with this especially if I'm gonna do it with leather.

Tom, that rod holder is super nice. That is just great craftmanship. Keepup with the very nice work. It's sure as heck nice to look at. I wiped my chin to avoid droulling on the keyboard... :)

Thanks Bob! Hope your keyboard survived *handing you a towel and some polish*

Edit: Just saw the the underline you have about having time, now I have some second thoughts bout the liner issue we talked about above. I really don't mind that seem it's just that it came a bit to close to the edge. Lesson here, always keep some extra material and cut off excess when you do the final fittings. Got it down in my notebook now...again.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Aaaawesome job Tom:-)

I also think you have improved your designs more and more, this one is fantastic, I Love the braid:-)

Tom,

To echo the others that is a beautiful case. I'm jealous. I see the mariners star on the bottom and it'll look good on the next project with your NEW maker's stamp...nice and crisp. Looking forward to more "stuff" from the great Swede artist.

John aka Indy

:cheers:

Thanks Crystal! Glad you liked the handle, I think it's the most decorative part on this one.

Yuo have sharp eyes and your right about the turned lining. It should not have been stitched but rather mede from one part that is just a tad wider to allow turning without to much probs fitting in down over the tube.

I do lot's of thinking ahead and that's one major time thief and I did think about this aswell but I just got it wrong and thought that the outer liner would have to be sewn on flipside. This was not the case I notice when starting with the physical construction but I continued with this solution just to see the result. Owner is 15 mins to walk from here so I can easily redo it later. It was good practice though and I'd say I need more practice with this especially if I'm gonna do it with leather.

Thanks for the explaination. I think the stitching adds a nice decorative finish to it - I wouldn't change it. I was just curious, wasn't sure if it was like a "tack stitch" like a fabric hem, etc. I was playing around the other evening with skiving and working on a rolled edge and saw this and thought there was a trick I was missing. :) I am trying to figure out how to put a mini project together and worry that I will not get all the details figured out and not find out until I have done the "paint yourself into a corner" job and have to can everything and start all over AGAIN! Thanks for the info!

Crystal

Aaaawesome job Tom:-)

I also think you have improved your designs more and more, this one is fantastic, I Love the braid:-)

Thank you Tina!

Improving is important and I really like the friction lock. I have this plan with gradually increase the amount of carving and tooling that goes into the design to keep track of how the leather behaves. I don't use excess leather and then trim to the right size after tooling so it's critical to keep track of movement when it dries and learn how to avoid disasters.

Tom,

To echo the others that is a beautiful case. I'm jealous. I see the mariners star on the bottom and it'll look good on the next project with your NEW maker's stamp...nice and crisp. Looking forward to more "stuff" from the great Swede artist.

John aka Indy

:cheers:

Thanks John!

Ahh that's some sweet stuff to hear! Really anxious to get my hands on that stamp. It'll make a far more professional look. I carved my name too with that mariners star and there's a reason I don't show this on that pic ,lol, but equally important that I show my name with the star for future association.

The tube was picked up allready so my photosession in the sun went away but I can do it later with the guys.

They will celebrate Harry tomorrow with a fishingparty in the baltic sea where he get's his tube and May 29 they will be going to an exclusive fishingcamp in Norway (Orkla) where they will show off their tubes and try to stir up some interrest for them.

Cheers mate!! (I'm a beer addict, dark stuff like guinness but one of my favourites is a golden pale ale and made in US by breweri Sierra Nevada)

Tom