cowcamp

S.e.w. Line 106-Rpl Any One Know About These

I came across this machine on eBay its a walking foot new in box and I think will handle

The three layers of chap weight I need a machine for.

Been using a consequence 220 but want a true leather machine

And this seems a good starter.

I have a 99k and Landis 1 to handle lighter and heavy weight work

Does any one know about these any info on them as far as room the job thread size

And so on would be fantastic

Thanks much.

Wil

I came across this machine on eBay its a walking foot new in box and I think will handle

Been using a consew 220 but want a true leather machine

Does any one know about these any info on them as far as doing the job thread size

Thanks much.

Wil

Buyer beware. This looks like a drop-shipped Chinese portable walking foot machine. Pray that the box doesn't get dropped literally. A shock along the front or back can hopelessly jam these machines. Unless it is an improved model, many of the moving parts can be bent by hand pressure alone. As the seller about the quality of the metal parts and the casing. Make sure there is a 100% money back guarantee if it doesn't work, out of the box.

If the machine arrives in one piece and actually sews, here is what you can expect from it. These machines sew up to 1/4 inch thickness without any modifications to the feet. With modifications on a grinder and buffer, they can manage up to 3/8 inch. They use the standard 135x16 and 135x17 industrial needle system. The tensioning components only allow you to sew with #138 thread. However, some people have been able to replace the tensioner springs to sew with #207 on top. The bobbins are standard industrial bobbins, thus, you can't sew too far with #138 thread, on one bobbin load.

The portable walking foot machines are best suited to sewing marine or home vinyl, canvas, or light weight leather, like chap leather. The walking feet both have teeth on the bottom. These teeth secure the work between stitches (inside foot) and pull the work during stitches (outside foot). The needle and inside foot are static. The feed is accomplished by the outside foot and the feed dog.

While useful for apartment dwellers and flea marketeers, portable walking foot machines are neither built, nor meant to sew hard leather. The pounding caused by the increased pressure required to hold down dense leather, as the stitches are formed, will wear these machines out in a short time and may void their warranties.

Save your money and buy a Consew 206 or a Seiko STH-8BL. If you've got space for a Landis 1, surely you can fit a proper industrial machine in?

Many ebay sellers who aren't sewing machine dealers will offer a machine new in box meaning it won't be tested, adjusted, oiled and prepared for sewing. You'll most likely have to do this work yourself or pay a mechanic to do it for you. Most of the time, new drop shipped machines won't be working right out of the box.

Just something to keep in mind!

Ron

Hi Wil,

No, No No No, if you want used, get a Singer 153-101 or 103 or if you want a flatbed, a Singer 111w. They are the same machine but I have seen people pay more for a 111 than a 153, don't know why, the 111 is a flatbed and the 153 is a cylinder which is a better machine for assembly work. If you can pick up a 206 or an 8BL, as Al says, they are excellent machines also.

Art

Been using a consequence 220 but want a true leather machine

Does any one know about these any info on them as far as room the job thread size

Thanks much.

Wil

Well after a week of internet sights auction sites........ and just some really bad sites....

I found a place named USA Dealer. They have a huge amount of older and new machines at what seems reasonable prices

I would love to get a consew 206rb5 at the moment that aint gonna happen and that wont change cause the kids gotta eat

while i build this shop up. as i have the motor and table from the consew 220 Ive been looking at heads only and i have found a

Singer

cylinder bed, lockstich, walking foot

153w102---250.00

153w103---250.00

153k104--- 350.00

108w20---- 450.00

post bed

168g 101 -- 250.00

found a few consews juki ferdcos and adlers but i have no shot at them right now.

Would love to hear what yall think as far as wich one or a machine like these that i havent seen

want a cylinder bed for the many jobs but a post bed would work.

rodeo chaps, brush chaps, some purses and a few belts is all this machine gotta do look forward to hearin from yall

and wiz man if you got a line on a consew 206 for 350 400 max im all in boss

thanks for yalls help

The 153w103 is a good machine if not ragged out, but that goes for any of them, a 153W101 might be better, but I don't see it listed. The 153K104 I don't know about, ask Bob. The 108w20 is also a good machine, I've only seen them set up with a binder on them. The post machine is a needle feed machine and might be OK for your needs, it takes a little getting used to and I have seen folks build tables to go around the post for flat work. All of these machines are candidates (except the 153w102). They love 69 thread and most will tolerate 138, but maybe with 92 or 69 in the bobbin. Not sure about the 108, again maybe Bob knows. The nice thing about a post (especially a single needle) is you can sew just about anywhere with them. If you could have seen me putting a pair of numbers on a letter jacket halfway down the arm (I didn't have a patcher) with a 491 you would have thought I was an Orangutan in a shooting gallery.

Let Bob Kovar give us a little more on the subject.

Art

Well after a week of internet sights auction sites........ and just some really bad sites....

I found a place named USA Dealer. They have a huge amount of older and new machines at what seems reasonable prices

I would love to get a consew 206rb5 at the moment that aint gonna happen and that wont change cause the kids gotta eat

while i build this shop up. as i have the motor and table from the consew 220 Ive been looking at heads only and i have found a

Singer

cylinder bed, lockstich, walking foot

153w102---250.00

153w103---250.00

153k104--- 350.00

108w20---- 450.00

post bed

168g 101 -- 250.00

found a few consews juki ferdcos and adlers but i have no shot at them right now.

Would love to hear what yall think as far as wich one or a machine like these that i havent seen

want a cylinder bed for the many jobs but a post bed would work.

rodeo chaps, brush chaps, some purses and a few belts is all this machine gotta do look forward to hearin from yall

and wiz man if you got a line on a consew 206 for 350 400 max im all in boss

thanks for yalls help

I appreciate all the input guys very much

This will be last time I ask unless yall blow me out lol due to my brain think these

Machines are right and yall inform me there not

Have found both of these tried them looked em up they are leather specific built

And am seeing what thoughts are as both are more then I'm suppose to spend

Not an amount for divorce. But definatley a butt chewing a couple night sleeping in shop

Singer 47w66 cylinder bed 500.00 head only but complete and really good condition

Singer 17-41 17-30 older cylinder bed and extermly difficult to get parts according to

Seller but works perfect looks brand like you wouldn't believe .

750.00 for either one . This one might be a week in shop

Please lemme know what ya think. Just need direction on final answer

Singer 47w66 cylinder bed 500.00 head only but complete and really good condition

Singer 17-41 17-30 older cylinder bed and extermly difficult to get parts according to

Seller but works perfect looks brand like you wouldn't believe .

750.00 for either one . This one might be a week in shop

Please lemme know what ya think. Just need direction on final answer

Cowcamp;

Do you realize that you are now willing to spend the kind of money that will probably get you a really good used machine from one of our dealers; one already setup to sew leather and guaranteed to work? Have you called any of our dealers yet? I know Bob Kovar personally and have been to his building, in Toledo, Ohio. It is over-run with sewing machines, of all types of feed and configuration. His toll free business number is 866-362-7397.

Cowcamp;

Do you realize that you are now willing to spend the kind of money that will probably get you a really good used machine from one of our dealers; one already setup to sew leather and guaranteed to work? Have you called any of our dealers yet? I know Bob Kovar personally and have been to his building, in Toledo, Ohio. It is over-run with sewing machines, of all types of feed and configuration. His toll free business number is 866-362-7397.

Yes sir I have been to the website for Mr kovar

Haven't called cause I didn't se any used machines. Just new ones and 1200 or more will get me divorced

I'm sure shipping would be quite a bit as well and these machines are in a saddlery here in town that's closing up

I don't really want to spend 5 to 700 and am only able to because

I'm selling my 31-15 and my 66 together the rest of the money. I rebuilt both of them

And have no desire to lose them. But choices have to be made and that's what happens.

I understand from reading posts on here for over a year

(also from when you told me what I had when I

Pulled that landis 1 from the dirt last winter) that your knoledge

of machines is very large and respected by myself as well.

Please let me know what ya think as I value you thoughts and opinion

But understand I'm in south Texas. Starting a shop from scratch on no money

Thanks so much to all

Yes sir I have been to the website for Mr kovar

Haven't called cause I didn't se any used machines. Just new ones and 1200 or more will get me divorced

I'm sure shipping would be quite a bit as well and these machines are in a saddlery here in town that's closing up

Most of our dealers only list their new machines on their websites. Used machines come and go. Some are on shelves, waiting to be cleaned, adjusted, setup and shipped only when sold. That's why there are no used machines listed on the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website. There are hundreds of used machines in the building, and hundreds more in his storage location. His phone number is listed prominently on the top and bottom of every page.

I have to believe that the same holds true for just about every other dealer on this forum. They are all sewing machine dealers who happen to specialize in leather capable sewing machines and true heavy leather stitchers.

You have been asking for our opinions about machines mostly offered by eBay dealers, or other auction sites. I can't help you in that area, but, maybe someone can and will. Unless one of our dealers is also selling on eBay, my sewing machine loyalties tend to stay on this forum, with only a few minor exceptions (mostly accessories). I have yet to see an eBay seller recommend someone look on our forums for a real leather sewing machine.

One should also consider what type of support they can expect from the seller, no matter where they have their store. EBayers may offer you email or eBay Messages support, and some may give you a daytime West Coast phone number to call in the event of an emergency. But, very few will pick up the phone after hours and talk you through a self repair to re-time or un-jam your machine, or email you a how its threaded picture. Our people are noted for their customer support after the sale. Some of our people will only answer the phone when they are in their business. Others may give their customers a private cellphone number, for help anytime.

About shipping costs. I have a personal friend who just recently shipped a complete Adler patcher and cast iron base, from Flint Michigan to upper California, on a pallet, for $220 (they manually loaded it onto the trailer from a pickup truck, saving $40 for a lift gate fee). A fully assembled walking foot machine (w/motor and table, etc) wouldn't cost much, if any more, shipped on a pallet to South Texas. Rates vary between trucking companies and competition is strong for freight, right now.

For those who already have a spare table, frame and motor, having a 70 pound head only shipped usually costs somewhere about $40 to $50, via UPS or FedEx. But, some folks think they will save money by buying a head from one dealer and a table/frame/motor/ bobbin winder/thread stand/ flex lamp from another. They are usually mistaken and end up paying considerably more that way.

Sorry, I missed the part about the machines being in a local shop that was closing down. Take some leather over there and try them out. The company must have thread on hand and needles. If they sew what you want a machine to sew, buy it or them. If not, keep looking.

I worked my way up through over a dozen industrial sewing machines before I found the right one for what I was making at that time.

Hello from Vienna! 

Sorry for my english is not very good...

I also found this sewline 106 rpl an it guided me to this site. I really hope you can help me. I did not sleep the last 14 days because this leather sewing problem is running circles in my head. I sew handbags and really love it. I started 2 years ago with an old elita from my granny. Sometimes i had to sew crossings? By hand. À few weeks ago i bought a singer heavy duty. She made it for half a bag before she gave up. 

So i need something else. I love the idea of having a zoje, but the Problem is more the space then the money. Please can you recommend a handy machine? 

Kind regards Sabine