LeatherWerks

Cobra Class 18 Machine

The last week of February I have a trip scheduled to California. While I'm there, I am meeting with Steve from the Leather Machine Company. In addition to discussing my current Cobra class 4 machine, I am planning on doing a extensive demo on Steve's Class 18 Machine. Art mentioned that he has a Cobra class 18 and love's it. Art, what can you tell me about this machine? Would it be good for upholstery work? Can you get welt feet for this machine? Would you say this is as good or better than a Juki 1541S machine that I am also considering? If you have time, I would appreciate your insight on this machine.

Thanks,

Steve Nelson

Either the Class 18 or the 1541 would be great for upholstery work. The take the same feet (111 feet) of which there are many varieties available from Cutex (eBay) or Superior (get them from the local sewing machine repair). I prefer the Class18 for no particular reason other than I sew with it all the time and my wife loves it. The Class 18 has a speed reducer and servo motor which I find well worth any extra you will pay. I can't say for sure if the 1541 is made in Japan anymore. You pay for the service, the machines are pretty much the same.

Art

Art, thanks for your reply. How does this machine sew? Will it run really slow? I know it's a servo and should run slow or really fast but slow is really important to me. I have a large box of leather stuff I've ruined with machines that go from 0 to 10,000 with just the touch of your toe on the peddle. I don't need another machine like that. When I look at the pictures or this machine it appears to be similiar to a consew 206RB-5 though, it's probably one level up from that considering it can sew 207 thread.

Steve

Mine will sew at a crawl if I want. It has a speed reducer and a servo motor. On the new servo motors, Steve fixed the variable control on the motor and was installing the upgrade and sending it out to whomever wanted them. The factory has since implemented the design and all the new motors come the way they should have in the first place. For thread, use 207 on top and 138 in the bobbin, it works for me.

Art