ShirleyT

Conway Buckles - how to?

I could sure use some help...can't we all?

I've come into a few Conway buckles (gift horse) that I would like to incorporate in my handbag straps. I've never worked with one and I could SURE USE SOME HELP with direction on how to best attach. Thoughts? Photos? Tutorial? Experience? Color me clueless...

Thanks in advance.

Shirley

Here's a little pic of a Conway buckle in use. Take a look on Google (images) where you'll find some more. They don't really attach to the leather - it's more a matter of letting the pin on the buckle pass through both straps.

conway.jpg

post-7199-1228215080_thumb.jpg

Edited by celticleather

Hey! That's a photo from my website! Kind of cool to see it come up on a search I never would have thought of. Hopefully you can get an idea of how they work by looking at the picture. A few things to keep in mind. Sometimes, more on horse gear than perhaps the use you have in mind, people use a strap that is too heavy a weight of leather so that it binds up in the buckle and is hard to adjust. For the first end of the strap that goes through the buckle I use a round end punch. I make sure that when I punch the first hole that goes over the post that I leave enough of the end of the strap that a bit comes out the other side of the buckle and then I skive about the first 3/4 to an inch almost to a feather. this keeps from having a lump that might sore the horse. Although you don't need to worry about that, it will still give a tidier finished product. Hope that helped. Chris

BIG thanks...and nice rear...on the horse...in the photo.

Seriously, this is great. I expect to start a fashion craze in the near future with Conway buckles. (I knew y'all would know!)

Hey! That's a photo from my website! Kind of cool to see it come up on a search I never would have thought of.

Just goes to show what a small world we live in! :)