Sparks

Lock Cover For Flintlock Rifle

Lock covers were needed for shooting flintlock rifles in wet weather. The lock cover kept the priming powder from getting wet. Wet powder does not burn.

Flintlock rifles were used throughout the 18th century. Early in the US Civil War (1860s) some troops were being issued flintlock firearms until their supplies could be updated.

The pattern was made by wet forming poster board. The lock cover is of oak tanned leather and includes a welt. The item is saddle stitched using tapered thread from Springfield Leather Company, Inc.

After sewing, the leather was turned right side out and wet molded directly to the firearm. After dyeing the cover is waterproofed using a beeswax, mink oil and pine pitch compound.

The cover is removed before aiming and shooting. A picture of the firearm is included to show what is being covered.

Sparks

post-4989-059712800 1289875135_thumb.jpg

post-4989-037307400 1289875155_thumb.jpg

post-4989-082899900 1289875173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparks

Sooo... Thats what you Buckskinners do when you cain't leave the camp on a rannie day.

:cheers::cheers:

That is a good looking item, i'm thinkin i need to make me one of thoes.....

Sparks you done well & you'll go far.

Thanks Luke!

Without the image you sent me to work from, it would have looked significantly different--and not nearly as nice.

So, how did that smart phone case turn out? Every 18th century reenactor needs a good 'period correct' smart phone case. :)

Edited by Sparks

And thanks to all those who view my work, especially those who take time to download the images.

Sparks

SPARKS I NEED TO BORROW THE LOCK COVER...QUICK and A HARD HAT.

( yes those white spots on the ground are Hail Stones)

post-1906-003612400 1290223909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Haw haw haw Luke,

I might have a hard hat around I won't use for awhile, but the cow's knee is going to PA with me the day after Thanksgiving for the hunt starting Nov. 29.

The rifle's already there.

We had snow most of the day here, but no real accumulation. The mountains are looking pretty white these days.

Sparks

Yep I like that one...gotta couple flinters I need to make those for!!