reddevil76

Stitching Problem

I have not bought a sewing machine yet, but have been trying it out using my friend's machine.

One problem I encountered is when sewing 3 layers of 4 oz, the leather compresses sideways, and thus the needle goes through the edge on the other side.

The veg tan I am using is of fairly firm temper.

Stitching Problem.pdf

Just a suggestion, but are you gluing the edges? If so, did you use a roller or flat burnisher to make sure there was good contact? Another thing.....could you be attempting to stitch a bit too close to the edge?

I have been known to staple leather together then sew.

I have not bought a sewing machine yet, but have been trying it out using my friend's machine.

One problem I encountered is when sewing 3 layers of 4 oz, the leather compresses sideways, and thus the needle goes through the edge on the other side.

What make and model of sewing machine are you using?

The issue is likely the pressure on the presser foot. It's pressing hard enough to literally "squish" the leather to the side. Try lightening it up a bit and see if it helps. The presser foot's job is to hold the material (leather) in place while the needle comes out of the leather....not to mash it together. I've had a similar problem when sewing welts and not having enough leather under the foot. I solved the issue by having a 'blank' on the inside to prevent the crushing.

Change the needle.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

Thanks guys.

The layers were glued with contact cement, tapped with a nylon mallet.

Stitching was 1/8 from the edge.

This is because the stitch is too close the edge, IMO.

I didn't see if you mentioned how thick you're working with, but you probably need to be at least 3/16" from the edge.

Actually, I will often make my piece wider, stitch further from the edge and trim and sand as close as I desire.

Table machines are notorius for this. With a cylinder arm machine, you can lay your work over the edge of the arm, and send your awl/needle angled slightly inward of the edge.

This is also why Al Stohlman recommended leaving the lining larger than the fron piece, and trimming it afterward, even on hand stitching.

Keep working it, you'll get the hang of it.