stef73433

Cutting Board/stamping Station?

I have been using a poly cutting board on my bench. I also use it when I stamp or chisel so I don't wreck my punches.but now my cutting board is rough and marking up my leather. This should be basics, lol, but not sure what to do? Is there a better type board to cut on that won't mark up my leather?

I punch on an anvil that I cemented a piece of soiling leather onto. When the leather gets too messed up I peel it off and replace it. I can also hammer it pretty smooth if it gets cut up at all.

You could use a piece of soiling leather on a granite slab as well.

A few years ago I bought one of the "poundo boards" and it didn't last very long.

A clicker press pad would be good also but they are expensive and not really much better than a poly board for punching.

What is soiling leather? Do you mean just a scrap piece that can be ruined?

Leather for shoe soles, its usually over 1/4" thick and very hard. You can get large pieces or pre cut pieces(shaped like a shoe or half sole).

If you have a shoe repair shop in town you could probably buy one off of them, they may have some that are old or not good enough to use but would be perfect for punching.

Most use a granite slab to do their stamping and carving on, then place the cutting mat on the slab to make your cuts.

Most use a granite slab to do their stamping and carving on, then place the cutting mat on the slab to make your cuts.

That's what I used to to. It works well. I do much less tooling these days though so the anvil takes up less bench space and I keep my granite slab on the floor until I need it.