I'm a chap, chink, holster, belt, and knife sheath guy. These I can do.

I have a very special lady getting married later this month, . . . and I want to make her a purse, . . . one she will treasure, . . . and I can do the whole thing except that super elegant finish.

Most of my stuff gets Resolene, . . . Beeswax/NFO, . . . or Bag Kote.

Her purse will be tooled, . . . not much but some, . . . shoulder strap, . . . either a largish clutch purse or small revival bag, . . . and probably out of nothing heavier than 8 oz.

What will give her a soft feel, . . . warm touch, . . . and yet protect her bag?

Thanks, guys, . . . this is a "once in a lifetime" shot for me to say "welcome to the family" to a very special young lady, . . . marrying a very special young man who happens to be my cousin.

It needs to be right, . . . so I need your advice.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

I recommend the same thing all the time on here. Fiebing's Aussie. I love the subtle sheen and great smell it gives.

It provides some protection but nothing like resolene etc...

Thanks, Joe, . . .

I did a bag for a lady to carry her books in at the university, . . . not thinking, I "Resolened" it, . . . man was it stiff, . . . beautiful, . . . but stiff.

If she had a small book in the bottom of it, . . . would have made a dandy weapon.

I'll have to give the Aussie a shot, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, Joe, . . .

I did a bag for a lady to carry her books in at the university, . . . not thinking, I "Resolened" it, . . . man was it stiff, . . . beautiful, . . . but stiff.

If she had a small book in the bottom of it, . . . would have made a dandy weapon.

I'll have to give the Aussie a shot, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Nothing wrong with carrying around some "protection!" I've found that the Aussie works well if you warm up the leather first with a heat gun or a hair dryer then massage it in.

It also depends what kind of leather of course. If you find vegetable tanned leather that has been drum dyed, you'll find that slightly more supple that natural saddle leather. Still easy to both do tooling and apply finish (and to hand color if you got a light colored one to start with). To a certain extent this is true with tumbled leather as well but the weight is in general heavier and the surface has more 'character'. I sometimes use vegetable tanned calf that has been both drum dyed and tumbled. Normally it's around 3-4 oz, soft and pliable but because it's vegetable tanned you can still surface decorate it. Maybe not a full sheridan pattern but definitely a border or your makers mark. Most reputable leather merchants will send/give you small samples to try on.

Just a thought, but; if you look at the Kansas Saddlery web-sight, they make some "Chap Bags" that are really nice and I think they are made of left over chap material. At lease the ones that I have made for my special ladies were made of that and it makes a really nice bag. Just a thought.

Bob

I recommend the same thing all the time on here. Fiebing's Aussie. I love the subtle sheen and great smell it gives.

It provides some protection but nothing like resolene etc...

Not meaning to derail the topic but how does Fiebing's Aussie compare to Pecards? Does Pecards give a similar finish?

Thanks.

Not meaning to derail the topic but how does Fiebing's Aussie compare to Pecards? Does Pecards give a similar finish?

Thanks.

I've never used Pecards. Sorry!

Just a thought, but; if you look at the Kansas Saddlery web-sight, they make some "Chap Bags" that are really nice and I think they are made of left over chap material. At lease the ones that I have made for my special ladies were made of that and it makes a really nice bag. Just a thought.

Bob

Bob, . . . thanks for the tip, . . . spent about an hour "perusing" their offerings, . . . got a couple of ideas, . . . sent the questionaire off to her soon to be mother in law, . . . needed some advice, . . . but I think we are on the track.

Now to get a bottle of Aussie and dig out those special pieces I saved.

Yessir, . . . I think we have a plan.

May God bless,

Dwight

I too like aussie wax. teh end result has a nice glow without being shinny (sp?)

I like Aussie as well, but I normally only use it on "outside" items (Rifle Slings, etc for use in snow, wet weather, etc). It does add suppleness to the leather, has a nice sheen and does a good job protecting the leather. You might want to think about buying a 8oz Belly as well, usually there are a few stretch marks but you can normally cut around those. The leather is "softer" and more flexible but still very sturdy and dyes and tools nicely.

Chief

Is this the Aussie product you guys are talking about?

http://springfieldleather.com/22094/Conditioner%2CAussie%2C15oz/

I have a customer who wants a bag that looks professional (like for a lawyer), but is still soft, and he wants tooling. Quite a contradiction in terms, I know. I was thinking Aussie on 4-6 oz veg tanned might be the best I could hope for.

Thanks Joe!

Well, . . . they're done, . . . his belt and her purse.

There were a couple of things that didn't turn out the way I wanted them on the whole two projects, . . . but with all the help i got from you all, . . . I'm happy with how they turned out, . . . they'll get wrapped and given as wedding gifts to a very special couple.

I figure with any luck at all, . . . the purse and the belt will both long out live me.

Thanks again for everyone's input, . . . special thanks to Bondo Bob, . . . I was struggling with the "idea" until I hit that website, . . . her future mother in law said she would love anything even remotely close to those, . . . thanks again.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-74329700-1409067326_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-39577700-1409067352_thumb.jp

Dwight, those look great! I'd love to see some more pictures of that purse...

Looks really great! They'll love 'em!

Bill

Glad they turned out well. I am sure that you will get all the ideas you need for future projects from the good folks here. I never stop looking at others work, it always gives me ideas, and like they say, copying some ones work is the most sincere form of flattery!

Bob

Dwight, those look great! I'd love to see some more pictures of that purse...

Well, Monica, . . . up close and in person, . . . the purse did not turn out as well as I had wanted. I had trouble with several items, . . . mostly of my own making, sad to say, . . . but leather working is kind of like fishing, . . . at the end of the day, they are either keepers or you pitch em back, . . . I'll keep this one. Especially since it is the first one like this I've ever done.

The body is basically 3/4 veggie tan, . . . whole thing is sewn on a Boss, . . . 346 thread, . . . Desert Tan water base dye for the body, . . . British tan for the belts.

Inside dividers are of the same 3/4 veggie tan, . . . belt is 7/8 veggie tan.

The next one of these I do, . . . the bottom will be sewn on last, . . . that was my BIG mistake, . . . and I thought about it for a long while before i took the plunge, . . .

Anyway, . . . a good learning experience.

Thanks all for the good words and the encouragement.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-52690100-1409076430_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-65865200-1409076443_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-53841200-1409076458_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-09699100-1409076479_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-39739800-1409076494_thumb.jp

Thanks for the additional pictures, Dwight. I was really intrigued by the stitching lines on the outside, and couldn't figure out what the construction of the bag was from the first picture. I actually really like the stitching lines on the outside. I know some people might prefer it without them, but I think it adds interest. Also, the contrasting color/belt and tooling really makes it look sharp.

You are certainly welcome, Monica, . . . and yeah, . . . when I first saw them, . . . I had a "what the heck is this?" moment when I saw the stitch lines on the outside of the bag.

Looking inside and seeing the little cubbyholes to stash stuff was THE decision maker for me.

I'm very much a "practical" enthusiast, . . . do very little in "decoration" type stuff, . . . but this bag had to have something to make it beyond just a bag. That was the reason why I did the stamping on it. I use that particular set of stamps almost as a signature, . . . with the "Sunburst" color I devised, . . . it reminds me of the Arizona sun coming up over the mountains to the East.

And I left the straps extra long, . . . and will take my hand punch to allow her to adjust the length to her liking.

Anyway, . . . thanks for the good words, . . . glad you liked it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I love the tooled strap going around the top of the bag! Really nice touch. What did you end up using as a finish?

I was almost hoping no one would ask that question.

I bought Eco Flo "all in one" by mistake, . . . thinking I was getting just the water base dye. Well,............. once I started putting it on, . . . I knew something was wrong, but could not stop as it was trying to dry and puddle even as I was working it.

I had to take the glaze off it to undo some of the puddle spots, . . . then I used a conditioner as I had used thinner to deglaze. Needing to get some oil back into it, . . . I finally resorted to my old tried and true 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil, . . . the belt and the trim strip atop the bag were finished in Resolene, so they would match.

All in all it was a true test for me of my skills in fixing mistakes, . . . finding work arounds, etc.

But it has the single most important part, . . . it is soft, supple, and feels good to the touch. I really dislike picking up a leather purse or wallet, . . . and it feels like a piece of Kydex or vinyl in your hands.

We're going to do Aussie wax on the next one :cowboy:

May God bless,

Dwight

I was almost hoping no one would ask that question.

I bought Eco Flo "all in one" by mistake, . . . thinking I was getting just the water base dye. Well,............. once I started putting it on, . . . I knew something was wrong, but could not stop as it was trying to dry and puddle even as I was working it.

I had to take the glaze off it to undo some of the puddle spots, . . . then I used a conditioner as I had used thinner to deglaze. Needing to get some oil back into it, . . . I finally resorted to my old tried and true 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil, . . . the belt and the trim strip atop the bag were finished in Resolene, so they would match.

All in all it was a true test for me of my skills in fixing mistakes, . . . finding work arounds, etc.

But it has the single most important part, . . . it is soft, supple, and feels good to the touch. I really dislike picking up a leather purse or wallet, . . . and it feels like a piece of Kydex or vinyl in your hands.

We're going to do Aussie wax on the next one :cowboy:

May God bless,

Dwight

Haha...sorry to "expose" you! I feel like thinking on your feet and working around challenges is so integral to this craft. I think you did a great job. I bet that bottom was a pain in the ass. Turning veg tan over can be a real bear.

Actually, Joe, . . . turning it over was far easier than sewing it. I couldn't cement it because I didn't want the cement to show if I somehow missed where I needed to stitch it.

So, . . . I'm holding the sides straight up, . . . turning the corner with my left hand, . . . pulling the Boss handle with my right hand, . . . balancing the rest of the bag on my left knee, . . . and all the while blinking and squinting, . . . hoping that what I'm seeing is what I'll get when it is all done.

Half baked funny now, . . . sure wasn't then.

Took it to my deep sink and soaked it wet, . . . fully the whole thing, . . . turned it inside out just like a dirty old cotton sock off my left foot. Had to play with the seam to get it straight, . . . but no biggee.

That's why next time the bottom is the last thing going down. I've got some chrome brown leather left over from a pair of chaps, . . . probably gonna turn into a hand bag.

May God bless,

Dwight