Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Treadle Wheel Size Options ?

I got a patcher last week that has no base, treadle and table. So I need to get something - either a treadle or motorized table for it so I'm not tied to just hand motion. I figured since the (singer) treadles for patchers are few an far between that I would use another singer treadle, a short one obviously. They are easier to find but should I look for a certain one ? My machine has a v-belt pulley and a 'round leather belt' pulley - the v-pulley being the larger of the two. So, are there options when it comes to what wheel size I should look for in a treadle base? Speed is not really my first priority but power to get through several layers of garment leathers is. I figured that I'd rig up an offset top for the head to sit on because of the design of the patchers, and also rig up an extention for the height of the right side. Any suggestions ? TIA.

Edited by CustomDoug

Doug,

Someone must of modified the pulleys ,I been working on patchers f/30 yrs & never seen one

different size belt pulleys on it.We have a small motor kit that will fit by drilling a mounting hole on the side of it.

Bob

Edited by sewmun

Uh-oh Bob,

I've got a 29K60 with a double pully and I'm pretty sure two other long arms that I have used in the past had it also. The treadle stands had double pulleys too, I think one pair's for speed and one pair's for power.

I just went outside and looked at a 4 I've got in a shed and it has the two speed pulley also.

My patching machine stand here at home is actually an Adler and the pulleys measure 9 3/4" and 11 3/4". I have a "dress" machine treadle and it measures 12 1/2". These measurements are the outside edge of the pulley,not in the groove, but that might give you an idea.

good luck,

Kevin

yea, mines is a 29K62 and it looks all original to me but I guess it's possible that the pulley assembly isn't. I believe the large V-pulley is meant for speed and the small round pulley for strength. I don't mind the idea of a motor as long as it'll stitch fairly slowly when I want it to, maybe 3-4 stitches per sec.. Though ideally I'd prefer to mount a motor to the stand/base/table rather than drill holes in my machine. But I am open to it, what more can you tell me about the motor Bob? Got any pics of one mounted to a patcher? Thanks for checking the pulley sizes for me Kevin. I suppose any size will work, but I'd like to know what I'd end up with before spending the money. Kevin, is that a Singer patcher that's on your Adler treadle ? There seems to be a greater abundance of the 12.5" flywheels (from my very short search), any ideas what that'll do to my speed and strength when used with my round grooved pulley? Thanks you guys!

Edited by CustomDoug

Yes,all patchers have 2-pulleys on them,but I've never seen one w/a v-belt pulley,To be honest w/you the best motor would be a D.C.Servo w/a builtin speed reducer this'll make that machine run slow & still have alot of power,the smaller one I was talking about isn't real strong.It has 3-mounting bolts just like a clutchmotor does & is made to mount under a table.They sell f/$165.00 + shpg

Bob

post-7185-062091100 1283182197_thumb.jpg

post-7185-035087600 1283182237_thumb.jpg