onlyoblivion

Eyelets, Rivets, And Snaps, Oh My~!

I originally posted in the Getting Started section, no dice, so I am trying again here!

So I got my catalogs in from OTB and was checking out the Springfield website, and maybe my brain is scrambled from the options, but I could use some help in sorting this all out.

1. Do the finishes differ by company? I noticed that OTB has only a few items I need in Antique Nickle. If I order rivets from them, but buckles from Springfield, is it likely to get finishes that don't match? My money is on yes for any finish other than nickle, and of course stainless steel.

2. I'm looking to make belts, collars, and other fun stuff. I've seen buckles listed as "dog collar buckles" with an extra bar across the buckle. Are these to prevent over-tightening? Would these be useful in other applications that are weight bearing, such as cargo straps?

3. It was only a few weeks ago that rivets were thine enemy, however eyelets have now usurped them. I can find eyelets in random hobby lobby available sizes, and no setting tools for them, aside from in the big catalogs. I feel like this means I am missing something. Before I destroy my hole punches to set these things, is there a better practice aside from ordering setting tools for each and every size? Or do you just pick two, one large, one small and go with that?

4. Lastly, I may be over thinking this, but if I want to use eyelets on my belt holes, is there a general buckle prong to eyelet diameter/post height? The eyelets I picked up appear too small to sit in the leather well with a belt prong through them. I don't really know, because I have no set eyelets (see #3 :) )

Thanks to all of you for your endless patience with the learning process of others~!

Others may have a better answer for your questions, until then I hope this helps.

Re 1.

Finishes may differ by manufacturer not so much by the seller. Yes, you can have different finishes looking finishes even though both are stating they are antique brass or whatever. This hasn't really happened to me, but there are some minor differences on the market. If you're buying stainless steel and it has no finish other than a clear coat it should always be the same.

Re 2.

The buckles you are referring to with the 2 bars are not as you think of them. The strap will be attached to the first bar. The one without the prong. Since the stress will always be on the fold and the bar it goes around it will not make a physical difference, whether a buckle has one or two bars. The quality of the material used makes the difference. If you take a close look at cargo straps you'll see that they go around a single solid bar, but the fold over is a lot longer and well sewn.

Re 3.

If you are using eyelets, use the appropriate eyelet setting tool. Everything else is just messing around. Don't know if you can buy Prym stuff in the States or not, but they have a setting pliers with all kinds of inserts for just these kind of jobs. Looks like this: post-58609-0-52127200-1433744589_thumb.j

Re 4.

This picture may answer your question https://straitcity.com/images/leather_eyelet_belt_brown_NC4031.jpeg However the prong will have to be well s-shaped or the eyelet will always be tilted.

Thank you for your reply! Very helpful info! I picked up some more setters, so I am going to give eyelets another go.

Can you please elaborate on the s-shape of the prong? As far as the dog buckle, I am still confused why these are sold this way, but I am guessing I can just use any buckle and be sure to have a long foldover?

Thanks again!

Try; WWW.GOLDSTARTOOL.COM for setters and other supplies. Very inexpensive bench top setter and they have a package deal that includes a die or two for @ $80.00. Works great and use it all the time. Additional dies are also very inexpensive compared to others on the market. Has videos on how to use as well.

You may like to look at grommet/eyelet offerings from Lord and Hodge as well. Great products and fair prices. Rome Fastener is another site that offers similar products.

Hope some of this is of use to you..

God Bless.

Ray

Hi Onlyoblivion,

1) when you say antique nickel do you want a nickel matte, or a darker nearly gun metal type finish? Antique nickel is a broad finish in the realm of hardware, so most likely it will be difficult to match this finish across multiple suppliers, unless one supplier has all items you are looking for.

2) If it is a center bar buckle, then it can be used 2 ways. 1) what Thor has said. 2) to act as a keeper to hold the leather down against the strap.

3) Most likely you will need a separate setter for each size. Maybe an anvil can be interchangeable for the bottom piece, but the stick to peen over the metal will need to be sized correctly.

4) Again Thor provides a good example.

Thanks!

- Hugh

Animals will work at buckles to get them undone. The first thing they do is catch the loop between the buckle and keeper on something, and pull. This just leaves the buckle tongue holding which will let go with some more play. Seen both horses and dogs do this.Unlike heel bar, Center bar buckles (3 bars total) have a built in keeper, much harder to for the animal to get open. Double center bar, which have 4 bars in total, have a front, back, buckle and a strap bar. These are made to get the security of a center bar as well as add strength.

Btw, If you use a center bar buckle with the strap mounted at the heel it puts the strap end behind the strap instead of in front. Harder to adjust but can be neater in appearance depending on application