Artimus

Storing Leather

For those who don't have proper leather working "studios" or workshops, where and how do you keep all of your leather before it's used? the rolls, the sheets, etc.

I've got quite a bit of storage space in the leather shop, but I've always stored my leather rolled loosely with the grain side on the inside of the roll, I usually tie a cord around the roll and put a tag on the string Identifying the leather, such as "HO Grd B, 4/5" or "Lining, PigSkin Brwn", etc.

Chief

This brings up a good question as well, what is the correct way of rolling it up?

When I bought my first piece of leather I went to roll it up with the grain inside thinking that would protect the good side and the guy working there nearly slapped it out of my hands to roll up with the grain side out. That is also the way I receive it from W&C so I always roll it up grain out.

When I buy Hermann Oak it's grain side in, most leather stores I've been in have it grain side in, never had a problem with it in over 40 years, I have seen some that was rolled the other way and the grain gets dirty, scuffs, etc.

May not be the right way, but its the way I've always done it.

Chief

When I buy Hermann Oak it's grain side in, most leather stores I've been in have it grain side in, never had a problem with it in over 40 years, I have seen some that was rolled the other way and the grain gets dirty, scuffs, etc.

May not be the right way, but its the way I've always done it.

Chief

Ditto. I figure if a supplier stores and ships it that way then that means they're betting their business on the outcome. If that method were going to ruin it then they probably wouldn't risk sending it out that way. I always just roll mine back up the way it comes from Springfield and use the same shoe string they provide, then store it in the same box they shipped it in and label the box with the type and weight leaned up in the corner.

I store my leather rolled grain side in. I have to put it into big plastic bags to protect them from being "sun colored" which happens when you store it for longer times even when there is no direct sunlight. They are on a rack in my bed room.

G'day,

I was just having a read through this thread , and there seems to be no set rule as to how to properly store leather.

However, just to add my 2 cents worth.

If I had the space ( which I don't) ,ideally I would love to store all my hard leathers (mainly veg tanned, harness etc. ) flat in a safe place, away from sunlight, ( as veg tanned is photosensitive), covered up to protect them from dust , and anything else that a dusty messy workshop presents.

But thats the ideal scenario.

So instead, I roll mine up, stored on a purpose built wooden shelf under my work bench.

I use 4mm veg tanned double shoulders ( some up to 60" ) for my belts. I have learnt not to roll them up too tightly, because I have noticed that if I do, they do have small creases in the finished product.

If/When my shelves are full, then I have D/shoulders standing up all over my workshop looking like totem poles, or leaning against benches etc....makes the workshop look untidy too.

It makes me wonder if rolling them up (OR rolling them up for too long?), can have an effect on the grain/ grain side, in the long term.

Interesting subject eh?

It would be good to hear more on this :yes:

Best Regards,

Handstitched.

I don't roll my leather, I use a home made saw horse and lay the leather over it grain side up, I keep it as far away from my work bench as possible and that seems to keep it clean.

If anyone has an opinion on this let me know, thanks Stu...

I asked a smaller leather supplier I visit what his opinion was on storing leather. He prefers to hang or drape softer leather on a vertical rack. He has rolls ,grain side in , of large hides and the veg tan hides are flat on a shelf.

He rolls my purchases grain side in wrapped with butchers paper. I store them like that on a shelf with similar leathers together ie oiled leathers away from veg tan

G'day again,

When I go to my supplier , I have noticed that nearly all of the hard leathers veg tanned or otherwise, are stored flat .

When they receive leathers, they are rolled up, but are unrolled soon after. I have also noticed that theres hardly any sunlight getting into the warehouse, only flouro's

I am now having a think as to how to store my hard leathers flat.

I have absolutely no idea how and where......as space is at a prime.

My first thought is to modify the wooden shelf under my bench....somehow.

all the best,

Handstitched

I don't roll my leather, I use a home made saw horse and lay the leather over it grain side up, I keep it as far away from my work bench as possible and that seems to keep it clean.

If anyone has an opinion on this let me know, thanks Stu...

I think this is a perfect way to store leather

How many horses so you use for each hide??

I would run out of room too fast in my smalll space

Excellent point of keeping it away from under or near your bench....dust,glue, dye spills etc could easily destroy a nice hide

Like to see a pic of you saw horses in action

Cheers,Scott

Edited by WScott

I use one horse about 5' long, I put one hide on top of another and seperate the hides by the type of use, I also put my embossed cowhides there also. The only problem I have run into is sometimes I have to go digging through the pile to get the hide I want, but I can live with that.

I put the horse on wheels so it is easy to move around and turn.

Veg leather is flat, grain side down, stacked, lightest weight on top.

Chrome leathers are hanging over 1 1/2" wooden dowels suspended from ceiling (looks a bit like a heavy clothing rack).

All of this takes up about 30 sq ft of floor space, or basically the size of the largest hide plus room to walk down behind there and cut the length of the hide. When I need a 10 oz strap - generally on the bottom - I just slide the top hides over a few inches, cut what I need, and slide the lighter hides back.

But, really, this doesn't take THAT much thought n planning... I knew a guy, long time ago, well before this thread started. ... buy a side of 3/4 oz and cut the entire thing into wallet carving backs (70 of em, give er take). When he got ready to make billfolds, he'd open a drawer and pull em out ready to carve - usually 10 at a time.