jdm0515

This Is What Happens When You Cheap Out On Awl Blades

In my last order from Abbey England, I decided to add a few of the really cheap ($3-$4 or something) awl blades, as I was paying for shipping anyways. I thought it was a great deal when they came very sharp, just a quick polish and ready to use. That was until I used this guy for stitching a buckle on a belt through two layers of thick belt leather:DSC_0091_zps8k3oxwb5.jpg

Oh well, lesson learned. Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing this? Or maybe where I can source some reasonably priced hardened blades?

In my last order from Abbey England, I decided to add a few of the really cheap ($3-$4 or something) awl blades, as I was paying for shipping anyways. I thought it was a great deal when they came very sharp, just a quick polish and ready to use. That was until I used this guy for stitching a buckle on a belt through two layers of thick belt leather:DSC_0091_zps8k3oxwb5.jpg

Oh well, lesson learned. Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing this? Or maybe where I can source some reasonably priced hardened blades?

don't you think it would have been a bit more helpful to give us a few more details - like which country you're in for a start

That point looks too "pointy" to me. Try reshaping the tip to a "bayonet point".

The cutting edge at the end is wider, more strength, you don't have to push the awl as far through to make the same size hole and you end up with less of the awl in your finger.

Cheers!

Yes, I must admit it didn't ocurr to me, but it's quite obvious now you've mentioned it. The blade doesn't look like it has been properly shaped/sharpened/prepared.

The tip of the awl should be a very small, rounded chisel shape. And as has been mentioned before on this forum, sharp enough so that it goes about halfway through your finger before you notice.

You can find that in any decent leathercraft book, or search YouTube for 'sharpening an awl'. It needs more than 'just a quick polish'.

Edited by zuludog

I guess i'll clarify a few things here. I'm from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so getting anything shipped from the US is super expensive for some reason, plus our dollar is terrible right now so the conversion kills me.

Secondly, that is a side angle view, its not actually that pointy at the tip, but definitely still came tapered to a fine point. I learned to sharpen from Nigel Armitage's video, and I just assumed that's how a sharpened awl looks, so I just polished it and went.

I have a photo or two of the comparison. I'll have to find it though.

The reshaping and polishing takes a little time but I just relax in front of the tele and go by feel. The result is worth it....

Cheers!

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/penguineer/media/leatherwork/tools/leather-tools-awl-points-800.jpg.html

The one on the left is the original profile. Look at the width across the blade - you have to push more of the original blade through the leather to get the same size hole as the one on the right.

The one on the left I think has a tendency to "rush" through the leather so it goes too far(more effort to pull back) and has more of the blade exposed on the back/hidden side, which could lead to cuts, stabs and messy bloodstains.

I've used the awl on the right on jobs up to about 15mm thick(5/8"?)......

(Sorry about the link - seem to be having an issue with hosted pics......ill see what i can do....)

Cheers!

Edited by penguineer

Have a look at this video on Youtube. He shows very clearly that he cuts off the point at the very tip of the awl blade to obtain the desired shape

How to Sharpen a Leather Awl:Dixon Diamond Awl. Part 1 of 2 by Leathertoolz

leather-tools-awl-points-800.jpg

Looks like I messed up the image URL in the post above......this is the piccie....

Edited by penguineer

I appreciate your sharing of that image, that's an excellent comparison right there!

I appreciate your sharing of that image, that's an excellent comparison right there!

Thanks!

One other thing that is noticeable in the comparison is that the tip of the blade is now in a thicker/wider/stronger section, so the awl should withstand bending when used on harder/thicker leather.

Cheers!