Jdbfish

Singer31.-15 Frayed Thread

Ok folks, picked up a little 31-15 . Machine was serviced prior to purchase and sewing like a champ. I got it home and was testing it out sewing thicker and thicker leather layers to see what it could do and got to thick, broke a needle. After replacing needle it now frays up the thread where it goes into the needle eye. Also seems to not be picking up bottom thread very well. Tried several different needles, tensions etc but no luck.

I know it's my fault so go ahead and tell me I was dumb but please help if you can....

Can get pics and send via text or email if needed

Did you change needle size to conform to the extra size of the thread?

ferg

Ok folks, picked up a little 31-15 . Machine was serviced prior to purchase and sewing like a champ. I got it home and was testing it out sewing thicker and thicker leather layers to see what it could do and got to thick, broke a needle. After replacing needle it now frays up the thread where it goes into the needle eye. Also seems to not be picking up bottom thread very well. Tried several different needles, tensions etc but no luck.

I know it's my fault so go ahead and tell me I was dumb but please help if you can....

Can get pics and send via text or email if needed

1346018468[/url]' post='261852']

Did you change needle size to conform to the extra size of the thread?

ferg

Yes, tried several different needle after the first one bricked

Needle in right?

Top thread not threaded correctly, can't pull thread through so needle cuts thread as it goes down?

Rats nest under plate?

Follow the thread path to make sure nothing is hanging up.

CTG

Edited by northmount

Is the long groove of the needle to the left? If I remember correctly the needle is round and there is no flat spot like some needles. The round needle could be installed 180 degrees off, causing problems

Make sure the new needle is the same type/system as the old one and that it is all the way up in the needlebar housing. Make sure there isn't any portion of the old needle stuck at the top of the mounting hole. This would lower the eye, throwing out the timing.

In contrast, the impact may have moved your needlebar up, throwing out the timing the other direction.

1346038708[/url]' post='261896']

Make sure the new needle is the same type/system as the old one and that it is all the way up in the needlebar housing. Make sure there isn't any portion of the old needle stuck at the top of the mounting hole. This would lower the eye, throwing out the timing.

In contrast, the impact may have moved your needlebar up, throwing out the timing the other direction.

Thanks for everyone's input. I really feel stupid, turns out I had the needle in wrong, 180 degrees out of rotation. Goes to show, before you start thinking the worst always check the simple stuff first. Thanks again everyone

You should feel stupid, Your into leather work. Duh,.. what were you thinking?? LOL... We all have done things like that. Just go on.

Kevin

Glad I could help. I had a 31-15 years ago and just bought another one last month. I just got done working on another Singer that I haven't used for years. Everything was stiff, it took me 2 days and now it runs like a top. The hardest part was moving it to fix it, it weighs 600 pounds. I forgot to mention it is a Singer 97-10.